Canadian products in the US

Here’s something I’ve been wondering about for some time: once, when me & my dad went to an event at a convention center, I noticed that at least 2 of the pull stations were Mirtone brand. (73393U) I was confused since Mirtone was the predecessor to Mircom, both Canadian fire alarm companies. A doctor’s office I went to had at least 1 Mircom MS-710U as well as a Mircom RAX-LCD annunciator too. What made this particular appearance of Mircom components especially strange to me is that the doctor’s office was in FLORIDA, the FARTHEST AWAY you can get from the US-Canada border. Now, Mircom might have SOME presence in the US, but I’m sure you’re a lot more likely to see their products in Canada than the US given all the established manufacturers already in the US. I’m not saying there’s anything WRONG with Canadian products in The States, I’m just saying it’s odd seeing them here when they’d probably be more common in the country they were made in.

That’s probably an SH-1224, which I believe were sold in both Canada & the US (though it seems they were rarely used in US systems for some reason). When it comes to the one you’re talking about, chances are it’s probably being used as a refrigerant leak alarm; I’ve seen them used for such myself.

1 Like

My local Target uses Potter SH1224s as refrigerator alarms.

1 Like

Mirtone was bought out by General Signal in 1988, and then Mircom founded in 1991. Mircom has a head office in Miami, Florida so it wouldn’t be too uncommon to see Mircom products around there.

I know this is off topic but what I found weird when I was in Florida, was seeing TD banks. I always thought TD was only in Canada (As TD stands for Toronto-Dominion), but was pretty surprised to see branches around Florida.

Oh, that might explain it, though it’s still strange that they’d go with Mircom if there are already so many established brands in the US (unless Mircom bid the lowest & thus they got the job).

Small world after all isn’t it? I know NewAgeServerAlarm once spotted one of those super-rare Fire-Lite horn/lights on the outside of a TD Bank building in Salem, Massachusetts.

1 Like

There’s a new apartment building where I live that has a Mircom system, first one I’ve ever seen in person. And I do live in the US. The majority of systems around me are Simplex and Fire-Lite/SK/Notifier.

1 Like

I would assume they bid the lowest, Mircom is fairly cheaper compared to other companies. Why in my area there is so many Mircom systems, they replaced a lot of the old Edwards systems in place before.