"Coded" Tone on L-Series LF Sounders

Just got two brand-new System Sensor HGWL-LF horns. I noticed there were two different tones you could select on there that are not on the standard P2R-L. Those being “Coded High” and “Coded Low”. I would assume that this means the devices, if set to one of these options, will be coded to whatever coding the panels NACs are set to. Why doesn’t system sensor include this option on the P2R-L? I mean, I get there isn’t a use for it on a regular horn strobe, but it would be pretty neat to be able to hear a regular L-Series doing march time!

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure but I’m assuming that it’s on the 4-wire L-series horn/strobes like with 4-wire SpectrAlert Advances: 2-wire horn/strobes can’t be coded the way 4-wire ones can (why they didn’t just make the “Continuous” option able to be coded properly to begin with I have no idea: seems like an unnecessary design choice to me).

1 Like

Continuous is looking for a sync protocol, so it wouldn’t work properly on a coded nac. That’s what coded is for. Nic’s systems and electric has a video about that

Seriously? Practically every other company that makes syncable notification appliances (Amseco, Cerberus Pyrotronics/Faraday/Siemens, Gentex, & Wheelock) doesn’t do that though: their 4-wire devices are coded correctly whether they’re being synced or not (provided they’re set on continuous of course).

That has to do with the mechanics of the sync protocols in either instance

I still think it’s stupid that System Sensor didn’t try to make their SpectrAlert Advance-series work fine on “Continuous” whether it’s being synced/coded or not (heck on my sole P4R the horn still fades out even when it’s set to “Coded”, even though I could have sworn it wouldn’t (which makes the setting seem useless).

1 Like