Connecting a weather radio to my NFS2-3030

I was wondering if I could get a weather radio and somehow wire it up so that if the weather radio goes off the 3030 goes into supervisory and a blue strobe starts blinking, how would I do this?

I actually did that very thing with my Silent Knight SK-5208: first off, you’ll need a weather radio with an alert output (a port that you can connect external devices to via a special plug to activate them when an alert comes in).

How does that output port work? I’ve always wondered that.

As far as I know all it does is close a circuit like a relay (I wouldn’t try using it like a relay, but it should close a panel’s zone circuit fine however).

1 Like

ok, I will use my WR-120, then what is it next step?

That’s the exact same one I have so that will make things easier due to brand & model identicalness. Do you have a cable with a male audio connector on one end & a pair of bare wires on the other?

No, where can I get one?

I just cut the stone off and used this cord

Could I just cut an AUX cable in half?

1 Like

I suppose you could: the one I use is a male audio connector with a pair of wires soldered to it.

Ok, then what would be the next step?

Plug that cable into the alert output port on your weather radio, then hook the pair of wires to a zone on the panel (you’ll have to keep the EOL resistor on the zone terminals as there’s no way you’ll be able to connect it at the end of the circuit given the connector on one end).

You probably going to need a FMM-1 monitor module, and program it as a supervisory.

Yeah: forgot that they’re using an addressable NFS2-3030.

Yes. The IDC (Zone) circuit connections connect to the alert port on the weather radio with a EOL resistor supplied with the module.

Yeah, get a mono to terminal block adapter. There’s one on ebay. Then wire the terminal blocks to your monitor module. Sorry for the bump