Creative Housing Smoke Detector Testing Youtube Video

This video is so inaccurate & weird it’s hilarious:
#1: Residential smoke detectors like those are not directly hooked to a security system like commercial detectors are & thus can’t be reset by the system: they stop sounding on their own after a few seconds (which is why they’re called “non-latching” detectors).
#2: They clearly superimposed the little “charts” above the keypads instead of just putting actual ones in place for some reason.
#3: They looped the sound of the detectors sounding repeatedly, also for some reason (instead of just recording the actual detectors going off. They also resort to freeze-frame instead of just filming the testing as it’s supposed to be done: as a result of this the test button on each detector is pushed for too short of a duration to actually set off all the detectors).
#4: Pretty sure entering “1234” is not what you do to perform a sensor reset on a DSC security system (if anything I think that actually arms the system), ignoring the fact that the system can’t reset the kinds of detectors in the video as stated above.
#5: Interconnected residential smoke detectors do not all sound immediately like that: as stated in the video the unit being tested sounds first, followed by all the others (provided the interconnect circuit is working properly or that they’re even interconnected to begin with).
#6: The keypad is referred to as a “panel” along with it being called an “SDG” one even though it’s actually made by DSC: SDG only monitors the system.
#7: SDG puts the security system on test, not the smoke alarms themselves (in fact it’s impossible to do so whether the detectors are residential or commercial, except with some addressable commercial ones).

Smoke detectors for houses and alarm systems definitely work completely seperate in most cases. In fact most of the time it’s just an independent battery operated detector that is by itself.

If it’s a commercial detector then yes, it can be hooked to a security system (& usually is if one is in place). Granted residential ones can be connected to security systems via a relay, but that only trips the system: it still has no ability to reset the detectors, which reset by themselves anyway.

1 Like

That’s super inaccurate. There is no way that you can just call and give your address and the alarm gets put on test. You would have to provide an account number and password. And yes, those detectors could not be hooked into a security system. Also, it Reminds me of this video:

This channel also has a video titled “10 Resetting the Fire Alarm”, which is inaccurate, and why is there a fire alarm system in the house??(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q77QWsVflLI)

Ah yes, that video, which attracted a lot of community members who questioned it. Alexander’s Alarms in the comments section says that it’s part of a group of homes in California that were built with fire alarm systems, which explains the presence of one in that house. As for the other inaccuracies…that’s just stupidity on the part of the video makers.

To be honest though I kinda wish commercial fire alarm systems in homes were standard: I for one would not only be at far more peace of mind knowing a commercial-grade system was protecting me but also because I’d be sure to go with chime/strobes: still alerting, but not ear-destroying.

Well, the group of homes may explain the fire alarm systems in the home, but there are lots of other errors in the video. I also agree that it would be cool for commercial fire protection systems to be installed in homes. I would use low frequency sounders, because of the faster wakeup times. A cool example of what could happen if a commercial fire alarm system is what NICS SYSTEMS AND ELECTRIC has done to his home, installing a NOTIFIER addressable system with the NFS-320C, two pull stations, smokes in rooms and hallways, and system sensor L-Series low-frequency sounders in the house. It is a really cool system and I encourage you to check out his channel if you haven’t already. https://www.youtube.com/@nics-systems-electric

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m already quite familiar with Nic.

1 Like