Excessive pressure pump replacement?

Currently have a sprinkler system with a excessive pressure pump tied to it that No longer works and it seems that removing it and using a water flow switch with a built in retard would achieve the same effect. Does anyone know if this can be done?

I know it’s been done before. What are you currently using as a water flow device?

A pressure switch.

The purpose of the pump is to hold the alarm clapper down - keeping the system pressure higher than the city pressure. This helps to prevent the clapper from opening and sending water to the pressure switch. So yeah, basically they will pull off all the trim and cap things off. Then install a vane type water flow switch above the alarm valve. If there is a water motor gong on the setup, you’re best bet is remove that and install a 120V bell, wired from the new switch. That way if you have a surge and the clapper opens briefly, it won’t ring the water motor gong. The built in delay on the new switch will act as a buffer to prevent false alarms. I’ve never done it personally, but I know of systems where the pump failed and instead of replacing it, they just remove it. So unless there is something unusual about your setup, you should be able to do it. Probably a good time to do a 5 year internal inspection on the alarm valve too - if you haven’t had one done for a while.