Favorite two alarm brands

I would say Edwards since I grew up with them, and then Simplex. Due to both their ages, their longetlivity in the fields, and the old devices they used to carry, some classic systems.

Yeah Edwards and simplex used to make some nice stuff

1 Like

I would say AUTOCALL, IBM and Simplex, As that was the FA hardware my parents grew up with. My dad taught at a bunch of schools in NE Ohio that had hardware from these companies. My mother on the other hand, went to Walls ES in Kent (A small town east of Akron, home to Kent State University), which was built in the 1960s and originally had a Simplex FA and clock system.

As for me, I had to deal with modern and crappy Edwards/EST FA systems for a majority of my life!

1 Like

I’m surprised, as I thought Ohio still had some older systems in place. I wonder which state still bears a ton of old systems.

Ohio does have a lot of old systems especially around the Tri-City region (Akron, Canton, & Cleveland).

1 Like

Nice! I’ve been trying to save as many rare systems, and might have to venture down there one day, as Canada has gotten rid of most of their old systems.

1 Like

Yea Canada has been replacing all of there alarm systems, I saw a video from nic’s systems and electric where he replaced a old system in a school

1 Like

Simplex and EST. Very common in Massachusetts. My elementary/middle school had a simplex system and my new high school does too. I like est because of the auto syncing on the Genesis line.

1 Like

I never knew why Massachusetts used a lot of EST stuff

Probably because they have that specific 900hz tone on voice evac panels

Is 900hz a requirement in Massachusetts?

Yes here is a video about it

2 Likes

Yeah, your right , simplex probably has that tone too

But 900hz sounds a bit different I think. Just checked and it sounds like this

Mine would probably be National Time & Signal and Faraday due to the fact I live very near their locations and their rich histories. If I had a third choice it’d be Honeywell since I have relatives who have working for the company for over 25 years!

Yeah I like Honeywell too

Actually all the simplex tones in MA are the code 3 500hz tone

I think the reason simplex is used so much in MA is because they were headquartered in Westminster MA

Yeah, and I think that est has a office in Farmington CT

I remember going to Boston and seeing some older Fire-Lite systems. I specifically remember one I saw in an office building, it was bright red, and looked like it was from the 90s.