Fire Alarm Code violations

Just make sure you use fire caulk!

LOOK!! I found the Fire Chalk.

that is an issue, we had tons of those things fall off when we got a new roof on our building. :lol:

Not a problem! Just grab some hot glue and glue them back up. :lol:

Here is a commander along with a fire extinguisher that was behind a bunch of clothes on a shelf. 180 | Sirensofcincinnati | Flickr

Here is a silver pull station on a similar colored wall. (I think it’s a violation) 505 | Sirensofcincinnati | Flickr

And here is a smoke detector that has its dust cover on. I asked the owner and he said the system has been active for 5 years!! 310 | Sirensofcincinnati | Flickr

I don’t think this is against code but at a local Panera Bread I was at, they left the Silent Knight key in the annunciator in the active position. That’s not a great idea Espicially where all of the people pass by

Most people aren’t even going to bother with the thing. The key is designed to prevent tampering but most people either don’t know what the thing’s purpose is or don’t care enough. That panel should have gone into trouble though, I believe SK panels will go into trouble if you leave the annunciator unlocked.

Yes, I will approve that comment. When helping debunk a trouble on my HS’s system, we where walking around for about two hours, we came back and there was a keypad trouble.

Okay Simplex should really make their newer t bars like the 4251-20s. This is in an office space. Really Simplex

Simplex should make their newer t bars like the 4251-20s. This is in an office area so it shouldn’t take much of a beating

The person who broke that must have had “a case of the Mondays.”

The t bar is still broken. Going to report it. Anyway, this fire extinguisher looks pretty high up. Is this in compliance of the fire code?

5’ to the handle is the rule for smaller extinguishers like that. Hard to tell by the picture but looks really close. But like most things, if the FM approved it, it might be OK!

More violations, More broken stuff not on the same system. The SHG was in my hockey locker ion, someone must’ve hit it pretty hard. The broken stopper was in a resteraunt.

Poor SHG

Conventional FireLite panel - simple system, two initiating zones, two NACs, pull stations and horn/strobes only (no smokes, ducts, etc). Looking at this picture, what is the huge problem here? Ignore the missing batteries (they were on top of the panel at the moment) and the troubles on the system, they have nothing to do with the issue here. May be kind of difficult to tell by just looking at the picture and not getting your hands into it, but remember, simple system (2 zones, 2 NACs, pulls & h/s only). I’ve highlighted Zone 1 on the panel to help.

[attachment=0]IMG_0017b.JPG[/attachment]

Almost looks like it’s T-taped (parallel circuits) all over the place in that panel. Would defeat circuit supervision.

not so much a code violation, but someones using an un-insulated 10 in 1 (can’t tell if its taped or not). :lol:

Oh, yeah! The entire system is t-tapped! Except for the water flow switch on Zone 2, but that’s because it’s the only device on that zone. The pull stations are on the green and white wires - the top two wirenuts in the picture. The other sets of wire nuts are for the horn circuits. Again, all t-tapped. It looks like whoever wired the system home run every single device. Guessing the system was installed in the late 90’s and has been that way ever since! We pulled down a couple of pull stations and confirmed the lack of supervision. I was trying to think if there would be an easy way to fix this without major re-wiring but isn’t going to happen. They could go addressable, and that would fix the pull station supervision, but the horns would still be a problem unless they put each horn on a separate circuit. This is in a multistory residential condo building - pull stations and horns on the exterior breezeways, one horn inside the condo unit. Probably going to have to run conduit everywhere to rewire the building.

As a bonus, the pull stations were BG-10’s!

I don’t know anyone who tapes up their screw drivers. If you don’t have the dexterity to use screwdriver inside a panel without shorting everything out you have no business being in there! But that’s just my opinion!

[attachment=1]IMG_0017a.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_0018.JPG[/attachment]

Sometimes things get dropped, we’ve had a few techs fry panels on accident.

How many pulls? Would an 8 zone panel cover it?

The nacs you could at least fix if they are all home run with lots of NAC panels or control modules if you went addressable. Probably cheaper than re wiring.