Fire Alarm Code violations

There are actually only 8 pull stations! All home run. So that wouldn’t be a problem. But the horns are another story. There are 32 of them, and just looking at the wiring in the panel, they’ve had to put two or three horns on each wire. They did run 4 conductor to everything, but if you look carefully, they wired the horns to red & black, the pull stations to white & green, and they do have some spare white & greens but not enough to do anything with.

If 4 cond goes to each horn, couldn’t you chain a few together? Just mind your voltage drops. That assumes the 3 horns on a circuit are wired proper, other option is like 3 booster panels if it’s 10-12 circuits coming back. I still think beefing up the head end considerably would be cheaper than running new wire.

Electricians must have installed it. They’re getting better now but were 100% clueless with low voltage over 10 years ago. :x

1 Like

Zipties holding together the emergency exit hinge. Really.

That I believe is a tamper device(At least what it looks like from here…). If the door is opened it is made to snap and fall off.

Yup, good catch.

It’s a seal, if it’s broken they know someone went through the door.

This was from the other day…

Somebody stole the annunciator!

[attachment=1]IMG_20150519_084818_539.jpg[/attachment]

Found it!

[attachment=0]IMG_20150519_084655_304.jpg[/attachment]

Did they think they could use the anunciator’s lcd as the lcd for the panel?

I have never seen an anunciator “stolen” to be used as an LCD. That is just werid.

That and the panel already had a fully functional display!

I’m pretty sure my school has some code violations.
Note: My school has a Simplex 4100u voice evacuation system. It was built in 2008 with additions in 2009 and 2018.

1. The classrooms in the original part of the building do not have any signals in them. This makes it extremely hard to tell that the alarm is going off when the classroom’s door is closed. The classroom’s in the additions are slightly better because they have remote strobes but they are still not perfect.

2. In the gym, the sound for the voice evac is unreliable. Dispite there being 17 speaker strobes throughout the gym, the message, including the whoop tone, is still barely audible when just played through the speaker strobes and people are talking. To help with this, they tied the voice evac audio into the gym’s sound system. The problem with this is that when the sound system is turned off or turned down, it will not play the message. (This may also be a problem in the cafeteria because they have the same setup with 4 speaker strobes and the audio tied into the sound system but I have no idea because the sound system is never turned on.) There is also the fact that the sound systems have no backup power like the FA system does.

3. All of the strobes in the individual areas are synchronized with each other, but the different areas are not synchronized with each other. For example, all of the strobes in the gym are synchronized together and all of the strobes in the hallways outside of the gym are synchronized with each other but the strobes in the gym are not synchronized with the ones in the hallway outside of the gym even though they are very easy viewed at the same time.

How to solve the problems:

1. The easiest way to solve this problem would be to connect the voice evac audio to the school’s pa speakers. All of the rooms in the school, including many that do not have fire alarm signals, have pa speakers. The best way to solve this problem would be to put more speaker strobes in the needed places.

2. The best way to solve this problem would be to use control modules ore some other way to get the sound systems to automatically power on and turn to a loud enough volume. They should also turn all of the speaker strobes in the gym to the maximum wattage to increase the volume. Of this is not possible because of the amplifiers not being powerful enough, they should find another way to solve the problem or get more amplifiers.

3. They should make sure that all of the 4009 panels are being used as slave panels and are following the 4100u’s master sync. I’m guessing that the 4100u is just telling them to go off and they are all just outputting their own sync.