Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Oh boy, I got a intresting system for ya’ll l.
Vancouver Mall (Vancouver, WA):
The main mall:
Panel: Unknown, probably a Simplex panel of some kind.
Pull Stations: Unknown
Signals:
A Very odd mix
System Sensor SPSCWs

System Sensor SPSCWL: not pictured
System Sensor SW: Not pictured
System Sensor SCR: Not pictured
System Sensor SCW: not pictured
System Sensor Spectralert classic: not pictured
Gentex Comander 4:

Gentex SHG: not pictured
Simplex 4904s

Detectors:
System Sensor i3s
Simplex TrueAlarms
Simplex 2098s
Round1:
Panel: a NFS-320 or NFS2-640 with DVC.
Annunciater: Notifier FDU-80

Signals:
System Sensor PC2WLs: not pictured
Wheelock LED3 Exceeders:

Detectors:
Notifier FSP-951s.

Macy’s:
Panel: some Notfier panel between 2003-2006
Signals: Spectalert Classics

Detectors:
Notifier FSP-851s

JC Penney:
Signals are advances and the panel is probably FireLite

Blockquote The Chapman Middle School was built in 1961 as a vocational high school, before being repurposed as a middle school much later. It has a pretty cool “modern” architectural design. It still has its’ original Gamewell FlexAlarm system intact, though!
The alarms I saw were what appeared to be old Federal Vibratone 350 horns, installed on trim plates. The original pulls are Gamewell Centuries, and they had Stopper II covers installed over them.

Well, that school has been undergoing a massive reconstruction project for a few years now. Much of the original 1961 campus has been demolished, except for the gymnasium wing, which is being renovated. A beautiful new state-of-the-art middle school campus is taking the place of the old structure. But what’s unique in this is case is the fire alarm system being utilized. Usually when such a school construction project happens in the Greater Boston area, they go with an EST voice-evac system. But here they bucked the trend and went with a Simplex voice evac system! And that’s not all; going from the photos online, the new system has TRUEALERT ES SIGNALS! These are really rare in the Greater Boston area, as usually they go with conventional TrueAlert signals, even if the Simplex system they’re on is addressable (and it usually is). It appears the norm is the lobbies and corridors and any larger areas having white Simplex TrueAlert ES speaker/strobes, each one with a TrueAlert ES remote amber “ALERT” strobe mounded underneath (no doubt as part of a new lockdown system or something). Classrooms have white ceiling-mount TrueAlert ES speaker/strobes and “ALERT” remote strobes. They also have Simplex TrueAlarm detectors, probably 4098-9714s. I didn’t see pull stations in any of the pictures, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they went with addressable dual-action T-bar pulls (i.e. the 4009-9006). The panel is obviously a Simplex 4100ES.

The way Weymouth went with a Simplex system for the rebuilt middle school greatly surprised me, as I was expecting them to go with EST as well, like when they built a newer elementary school and also expanded and renovated their high school at one point. But several of the other elementary schools already have older Simplex systems in place, as I mentioned before (mostly 4208 systems, if the panels hadn’t been replaced yet, usually with 4051 horns on 4040-60 light plates). Maybe that’s why they’ve started using Simplex again? (The other middle school building that once housed fifth and sixth grades had their Simplex 4208 system from 1974 fail at one point, so they replaced it with a Fire-Lite or Notifier system of some kind with SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes.) I know Atlas Alarm Corp., a local fire alarm service company that once serviced Brockton’s school district’s fire alarm systems, was once based in Weymouth, but they’ve since been folded into the Arlington-based American Alarm and Communications Co., and for a while they continued servicing the Weymouth schools.

1 Like

Timothy Lutheran Church (Livonia) (Opened 1957)

Detectors:
One First Alert SA150-series smoke detector in the basement (with an incandescent light!)
One Kidde 0915K smoke detector, also in the basement
(A public photo on the church’s Facebook page from 2017 shows a Fyrnetics 0905 smoke detector located on the first floor [look for the Hands & Hearts banner].)

Notification appliances:
Perhaps the most surprising thing I saw while I was here was a silver Ademco A.D. 10 bell! Located in the basement near a stairwell, I presume this is used as part of a security system, because I did not notice any other devices, including pull stations and annunciators/panels, located nearby.

My high school

Main building:
-Notifier NFS2-3030 installed in 2017. The original fire alarm replacement happened in 1994. The 1923-1994 areas of my school that haven’t been renovated for the most part have System Sensor MA12/24 horns mounted above Gentex GXS strobes. Most of these horns are on hi lo. None of these devices have failed but most of these areas still have System Sensor SpectrAlert advances to add alarms to classrooms and boost audio/visual coverage. Pull stations are Notifier BGX101L’s for the most part although about six were added at a later date therefore they are NBG12LX’s. Detectors are Notifier and addressable. These areas obviously have door closers, fan shutdowns, and rolling doors that close upon a fire alarm.
-1999 addition has all of the same devices except A/V’s are SpectrAlert classic series horn strobes and strobes. This area also has the most rolling doors of any area.
-2007 renovations and additions. These areas simply have the newer version of everything. Newer detectors, NBG12LX’s, and SpectrAlert advance A/V’s.
-2017 additions and renovations. This area has the exact same stuff as the 2007 areas except this is the only area of the building with synchronized alarms.

Building two:
-Built in 1916, this three story building is on its third system. Notifier AM-2020 with conventional NBG-10L’s, addressable detectors, and System Sensor MA12/24 horns mounted next to Gentex GXS strobes. These are on 800hz continues

Aquatic center:
-This building has a Notifier NFS2-3030 with DVC. Modern everything with System Sensor SpectrAlert advance speaker strobes and speakers both wall and ceiling mount.

Stadium:
-Just an NFS-320 and advances to cover a sprinkler system. Nothing else.

All in all, these systems are connected together and all have many annunciators on campus. Outdoor alarms are consistent with indoor alarms with a few Wheelocks here and there.

Wheelock NSs are what we had in high school and they were VERY loud to the point where if your ears were not plugged, they would be ringing afterwards.

Walt Disney World - Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, FL

Post 2 of 2 - This post will focus on the parks, as well as the shopping/dining area known as Disney Springs.

Before describing the systems, here’s some general information about how the fire alarm systems in Walt Disney World attraction and theater buildings are configured.
These SAE IAV-series strobes are part of the fire alarm system, even though they’re orange. They can be found at the attraction entrance, loading area, and other locations.

In these buildings, if a smoke detector activates, it causes a silent alarm where these orange strobes flash. After a few minutes, the main signals activate. If a second smoke detector activates, the main signals activate immediately. The sequence is only for smoke detectors - if the alarm is activated in any other way (e.g. a manual pull station), the main signals activate immediately. In other buildings at Walt Disney World (e.g. standalone shops/restaurants, resorts, etc…), there are no orange strobes, and any activation causes the main signals to sound immediately.
Here’s a video I found with this setup in action.

Now that I’ve explained this, let’s detail the systems.
General notes:

1. Many buildings have similar/identical setups, so I’ll refer to these with type codes.
  2. Several systems were initially installed with horn/strobes but were later converted to voice-evacuation.
  3. The best way to tell whether the panel is an MXL or XLS if the system installation date is unknown or ambiguous (early 2000’s) is to check the address labels on initiating devices. The MXL has a limit of 60 peripheral devices per loop. If you see labels like 22-10 (loop 22 device 10), you’re definitely looking at an MXL system. Conversely, if you see labels like 1-107 (loop 1 device 107), you’re definitely looking at an XLS system.

Non-Voice Type 1A
Panel: Siemens FireFinder XLS or Desigo Fire Safety Modular
Pulls: HMS-S’

…and rebranded RSG RMS-1T’s in outdoor areas where present.

Detectors: FirePrints

Signals: Gentex Commander 2 or 3 horn/strobes…

…and the weatherproof version where applicable. (Interestingly enough, I remember reading somewhere that the weatherproof covers were actually designed by Disney!)

Non-Voice Type 1B
Panel: Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL
Pulls: MSI-10B’s

Detectors: FirePrints (the MXL-compatible version)

Signals: Gentex Commander 2 horn/strobes

Non-Voice Type 2
Signals: Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes (rebranded)

Non-Voice Type 3

Signals: Wheelock AS horn/strobes and ZRS strobes (rebranded)

Non-Voice Type 4
Panel: Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL

Detectors: FirePrints (the MXL-compatible version) and/or ILP-1’s
Signals: MC-series horn/strobes

Non-Voice Type 5
Panel: Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL
Detectors: FirePrints (the MXL-compatible version) and/or ILP-1’s
Signals: Gentex SHG horn/strobes

Non-Voice Type 6
Panel: Pyrotronics XL3
Pulls: MSX-2’s
Detectors: PEX-3000’s and/or DI-X3’s
Signals: Wheelock EHS-DL1 horn/strobes

Non-Voice Type 7
Pulls: EST SIGA-278’s
Detectors: SIGA2’s
Signals: Genesis horn/strobes

Voice Type 1A/1B
These use the same panel types and initiating devices as their non-voice counterparts.

Some of these systems were originally non-voice and were retrofitted in the mid-to-late 2010’s. Systems converted to voice before 2018 kept the MXL panels, as evidenced by the evacuation message used.
Signals: Wheelock E50 and E60 speaker/strobes (rebranded)…

…and ET70WP’s outside, where applicable.

Voice Type 2

Signals: Wheelock E70 and E90 speaker/strobes (rebranded)

Voice Type 3
Panel: EST3
Pulls: SIGA-270’s (and rebranded RSG RMS-1T’s in outdoor areas where present)

Detectors: SIGA-PD’s or Signature Opticas
Signals: Genesis speaker/strobes

Now I’ll explain what can be found where.
Magic Kingdom

Non-Voice Type 1A:
Haunted Mansion
Space Mountain (exception: last portion of exit corridor has Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes)

Splash Mountain (exception: gift shop has an HMS-D pull instead of HMS-S)

Non-Voice Type 1B:
Most buildings in Magic Kingdom that are not specifically mentioned

Voice Type 1A:
All buildings in the “New Fantasyland” area
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Cinderella Castle (well, sort of. Since MXL parts had been discontinued by the time the castle got the voice-evacuation upgrade, the panel was replaced. However, the MXL-compatible initiating devices were kept using the MLC card.)
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe (however, the adjoining Mickey’s Star Traders gift shop has the Non-Voice Type 1A or 1B setup)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
The monorail station

Voice Type 1B:
Crystal Palace Restaurant
Fantasyland “East” show building (except Winnie the Pooh, which has Wheelock NS horn/strobes and RSS strobes)
Main Street Bakery
Main Street Confectionery
Town Square Theater

Unique systems:
Fantasyland “West”/Liberty Square show building (Yes, this is all housed in one building. It’s not obvious from a guest’s perspective, but look on Google Maps and you’ll see.)
Panel: Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics MXL
Detectors: FirePrints (the MXL-compatible version)
Signals: U-MMT-MCS horn/strobes in Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Wheelock E50 speaker/strobes (rebranded) in Peter Pan’s Flight, and E70 speaker/strobes (rebranded) in the Hall of Presidents.

Epcot

Non-Voice Type 1A:
Most buildings in Epcot that are not specifically mentioned
Spaceship Earth (exception: the VIP lounge area has Siemens S-HPMG-MCS speaker/strobes. I found this out via online pictures. No rules were violated in the creation of this post.)
Morocco Pavilion

Non-Voice Type 3:
International Gateway area Guest Relations location
Italy Pavilion

Voice Type 1A:
Connections Cafe/Creations Shop/Club Cool (old Innoventions East building)
Epcot Experience pavilion
Germany pavilion (Except for some shops which have the Non-Voice Type 1A or 2 setup)
Norway pavilion (Except for Akershus which is Non-Voice Type 1A)
The monorail station
The Disney Skyliner gondola station

Voice Type 1B:
Test Track (exception: there are several remote speakers, and there are also some E70’s in the queue. Before the 2012 refurbishment this had Gentex SHG horn/strobes in most areas and SPK4 speaker/strobes in the post-show areas.)

Voice Type 3:
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
Space 220 Restaurant

Unique systems:
France pavilion - old portion e.g. Boulangerie Patisserie
Panel: Siemens System 3 or SXL-EX
Pulls: MS-151’s or MS-51’s
Detectors: PE-11’s

Signals: Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes, along with some MC-series horn/strobes in Les Chefs de France.

Gelateria Toscana (the Italy pavilion’s recently-added ice cream kiosk)
This building’s interior isn’t accessible to guests, so only limited details can be seen from a guest’s view. I’m going to assume this is a Notifier system as a local Notifier distributor’s website states that they were recently awarded their first fire alarm contract for Disney. They mentioned this at the very bottom of a case study for an unrelated project. EPCOT Harmonious - Sciens Building Solutions
Signals: L-Series horn/strobes

Mission: SPACE
Pulls: EST SIGA-278’s

Detectors: SIGA’s

Signals: Integrity horn/strobes in most areas…

…and Genesis horn/strobes in the gift shop.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Non-Voice Type 1A:
Most buildings in Disney’s Hollywood Studios that are not specifically mentioned. Rock n’ Roller Coaster (which now has this setup) had a rather short-lived MXL system when it first opened in 1999, as in the loading area near the control booth, there’s a gutted MXL annunciator cabinet.

Non-Voice Type 2:
Mickey Shorts Theater
Most of the shops on Sunset Boulevard

Non-Voice Type 3:
Tower of Terror

Non-Voice Type 6:
MuppetVision 3D
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater/ABC Commissary/BaseLine Tap House (although some of the old EHS-DL1’s have been replaced with Commander 3’s)
Stage 1 Company Store

Voice Type 1A:
The Disney Skyliner gondola station
Star Wars Launch Bay
Non-attraction buildings in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Toy Story Mania

Voice Type 2:
Star Tours

Voice Type 3:
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
Most buildings in Toy Story Land

Unique systems:
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
Panel: EST3, located near a service corridor by the first preshow room.
Pulls: SIGA-270’s

Signals: Integrity speaker/strobes in the first half of the queue…

…and a mix of Genesis (wall) and Integrity (ceiling) speaker/stobes in other areas.

The standalone restroom near the bus drop-off area
Pulls: RSG RMS-1T’s rebranded by Edwards

Signals: WG4 horn/strobes and Integrity remote strobes.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Non-Voice Type 1A:
Rainforest Cafe

Non-Voice Type 2:
The standalone restroom in the east end of the Pandora: The World of Avatar area

Non-Voice Type 3:
DINOSAUR (Exception: there are a couple ZNS’)

Non-Voice Type 4:
Conservation Station
The standalone restroom near Kali River Rapids

Non-Voice Type 5:
Many of the original buildings in the park (built in 1998), such as guest relations

Voice Type 1A:
Most buildings in the Pandora: The World of Avatar area

Unique systems:
Expedition Everest
Detectors: Siemens OOHC941’s

Signals: Wheelock Exceder LED speaker/strobes (rebranded), in the queue, along with E60’s in the loading area and ET70WP’s in the ride areas.

Disney Springs
I didn’t spend much time here, so there are some other systems here too.

Non-Voice Type 1A/1B:
Most buildings in areas other than Town Center

Non-Voice Type 2:
Most buildings in the Town Center area and some buildings in other areas

Non-Voice Type 4:
Some of the older buildings in the Marketplace area

Non-Voice Type 7:
Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ Restaurant

Voice Type 1A:
Some buildings with larger occupancy, including some restaurants
Cirque de Soleil
Parking garages (all 3 of them)

Voice Type 3:
Maria & Enzo’s Ristorante/The Edison (Exception: pulls are SIGA-278’s)
Paddlefish Restaurant
Splitsville Luxury Lanes

Unique systems:
AMC Theatres
Panel: Simplex 4100
Pulls: 2099-9795’s
Detectors: Older TrueAlarms
Signals: 4904 strobes throughout, and a mix of 4902 and Wheelock E70 speakers, and some 4903 speaker/strobes here and there. An outdoor balcony near one of the entrances has Wheelock WM3T-24 strobes and ET-1010 speakers.

Boathouse Restaurant
Panel: Notifier NFS-320 or NFS2-640 (a guess, could be either)
Pulls: NBG-12S’
Detectors: FSP-851’s
Signals: SpectrAlert Advance speaker/strobes

Rainforest Cafe
Pulls: Cerberus Pyrotronics MSI-10B’s
Signals: MC-series speaker/strobes and at least one Wheelock E70

T-Rex Cafe
Panel: Siemens FS-250 (there’s an annunciator at the entrance)
Signals: SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes. Very unusual for a Siemens system.

1 Like