Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Alright so my school has ALOT of these
wallpaper

And its a school in Texas

Sweet! I think the panel might be 5208xl and the annunciator is a 5860r

heres a list of devices:
Panel: maybe a 5208 xl
Annunciator: 5860r
Notification Devices: Wheelock AS,Wheelock RSS,Wheelock ZRS,Wheelock MT outdoor,and A Faraday alarm that I forgot the model of,And SpectrAlert Advance ceiling mount.
Pull Stations: Silent Knight SD500-PSDA,Faraday dual action T-bar.
Smoke detectors:Silent Knight SD505-APS,Silent Knight SD505-PHOTO,Silent Knight SD505-AHS(heat detector),Honeywell beam detector.
Extras:System Sensor L-Series Alert Strobe,Silent Knight monitor module,STI Stopper 2.
Thats the whole system for you!

Wow. That’s a big system

yes it is,because its a middle school

V.F.W. Post 3323 (Westland) - While this facility does not have a fire alarm system, it does have two devices that are worth mentioning as they are both vintage and serve as doorbells for the building.

Notification appliances:
<One Simplex 4050 horn above an entryway
<One Edwards 340-series 4" Adaptabel above another entryway with a golden serial plate and blue lettering/outline

The kitchen also has an Ansul suppression system as evidenced by a round, silver Ansul pull station.

Ok,my church has a HUGE system, here is a list
Notification devices(that i know of):Spectralert advance speaker strobes and strobes,spectralert classic speaker strobes,Siemens UMMTs (2 with the lettering on the front and the rest have the lettering on the side),Edwards 895B-301s,a Siemens strobe that i forgot the model number of,a couple System Sensor L-series (speaker strobes and a horn strobe),and a spectralert advance P2RK.
Pull stations:Mircom MS-710U,Cerberus Pyrotronics MSI-20B,one Fire-Lite BG-12,and a Edwards 278B-2320.
Smoke Detectors (that I can remember):Cerberus Pyrotronics FP-11,System sensor I3.
Annunciator(s):Cerberus Pyrotronics RCC-1? Mircom RAX-LCD?
Panel:Mircom FX-2000 that is pretty big because it has EVAX voice evacuation
That’s all that i can remember!

South Station - Boston, MA
Panel: Simplex 4100U, located in a closet near the men’s restroom.
Pulls: Electro-Vox FM-950’s rebranded by Kidde in most areas…

…and a Simplex 2099-9138 near the train platforms.

There are also some 4099-9006’s, mainly in the CVS pharmacy and one near the Auntie Anne’s pretzel kiosk.
Detectors: TrueAlarms…

…and some older (Fenwal?) detectors.
Signals: Wheelock STH-15S speakers and RSS strobes in the main concourse…

…an SAE VA4 speaker/strobe near the escalator from the subway area…

…a Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobe near the train platforms…

…and some ET-1010-WS-24 speaker/strobes.

There are also some TrueAlert speaker/strobes in the CVS.

Now for some systems in New York City…
Penn Station
Pulls: Notifier NBG-12LX’s

Detectors: FSP-851’s and some FSP-951’s

Signals: Wheelock E70 and E90 speaker/strobes with “ALERT” labeling…

…and ET70WP’s at the train platforms.

Moynihan Train Hall
Pulls: Notifier NBG-12LX’s and some Sigcom SG-32-series

Detectors: FSP-951’s

Signals: Wheelock E50 and E60 speaker/strobes

World Trade Center transportation hub
Pulls: Sigcom SG32-series rebranded by Firecom

Detectors: Apollo XP95’s
Signals: Wheelock E90 speaker/strobes, many of which use a custom cover plate

Fulton Street subway station
Pulls: Simplex 2099-9138’s and 4099-9003’s

Detectors: TrueAlarms, some of which are installed in a protective cage

Signals: Wheelock RSS remote strobes (audio is wired into PA), and some retail areas have E70 speaker/strobes.

34th Street - Hudson Yards subway station
Same as Fulton Street except there’s less variety and the RSS’ are ceiling-mount.

Disney Store (Times Square)
Pulls: RSG RMS-1T’s rebranded by a local company (no, they don’t have break-glass Stoppers despite this being Disney.)

Detectors: FSP-851’s

Signals: Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes

Rockefeller Center
Pulls: Cerberus Pyrotronics MSI-B6F’s, and some rebranded Gamewell Centuries, and a few Siemens-branded MSI-B6F’s

Detectors: ILI-1’s and FirePrints

Signals: A wide variety, including F-series strobes and speakers, I-SM-series and S-HP-MCS speaker/strobes and U-S-series strobes, rebranded Wheelock E70 and E90 speaker/strobes and ZRS strobes.

Grand Central Terminal
Pulls: Siemens HMS-M’s

Detectors: OP921’s

Signals: Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes (rebranded)

At the time of my visit, many of the EST Integrity speaker/strobes from the old system, which was an IRC-3, were still installed.

A couple months after my visit, the Long Island Rail Road station known as Grand Central Madison opened. Going by the pictures online, it has a Simplex system.
I found some permit filings which mentioned that a new Fire Command Center was built to house the panels for both systems.

2 Likes

The Alcott - Boston, MA
Pulls: Simplex 2099-9139’s in the parking garage, 4099-9006’s everywhere else.

Detectors: TrueAlarms
Signals: TrueAlert ES speaker/strobes

Wow!!! The Rockefeller center has some cool devices. Those Cerberus pyrotronics rebranded centuries are really cool and rare

1 Like

Seems like it’s a code violation…

1 Like

I don’t think so, it looks like the wire cadge can be lifted up

Grosse Pointe North High School (Grosse Pointe Woods) - First built in 1966, the school was expanded in 2005 with a new science building and additions to the performing arts center. This location can be seen in a 360 virtual tour commissioned by the school district as well as with limited Google Street View imagery, which was how I identified some of the devices.

Annunciators/panel:
<Unknown, presumably EST

Detectors:
<System Sensor 2151-series photoelectric models

Pull stations:
<EST SIGA-278 models
<RSG RMS-series “Lift & Pull” models in outdoor common areas–it is unknown which company branded them (Siemens?).
All pull stations are protected by STI Stopper II devices

Notification appliances:
<White EST Genesis wall-mount horn/strobes with the “FIRE” lettering
<White EST EGCF-series horn/strobes with the “FIRE” lettering
<White Siemens U-HNH-MCS horn/strobes (four in total) in the gymnasium
<Red Siemens U-HNH-MCS horn/strobes and U-MCS strobes in the science building
<White Edwards Integrity horn/strobes in outdoor areas–I believe these are sprinkler alarms due to being above fire hose connections.
<Wheelock MT-24MCW-FR or MT121575W-FR horn/strobes (two in total) in the gymnasium
<The gymnasium held one more surprise–a National Time 411F left over from the original system! This would also suggest that the original panel was a National Time model, and the pull stations would most likely have been 620M or 620M2X models.
<It is unknown if this school ever used class change bells.

Posterity Art & Framing Gallery (Grosse Pointe)
<The only device I saw here was a vintage ESL 429/449-series smoke detector with yellowed plastic.

Hilbert Middle School (Redford Township)

Annunciators/panel:
<Unknown, presumably National Time

Detectors:
<At least one National Time SL-series duct detector in the gymnasium

Pull stations:
<National Time 541-series t-bars (rebranded Sigcom models) behind plastic protective covers

Notification appliances:
<The original system–possibly when the school got its first automated alarm system–consisted of Edwards 311-F surface-mount horns along with what were likely Edwards Adaptabels behind grilles for class change. One surviving example of each is in the gymnasium.
<The current devices–most likely installed in the late 1990s–consist of National Time horn/strobes; they are surface-mounted with the ‘bubble’ strobe at the front and are rebranded Faraday devices.
<Some spots have National Time C2/C2-series horn/strobes installed.

The Venetian hotel Las Vegas, NV

The system consists of EST ceiling mount speaker strobes (many were mounted on the wall)

EST SIGA-IHPS photo/ion/heat detectors

EST integrity remote speakers in the rooms

EST Wall mount remote strobes

EST wall mount round speaker strobes

EST Integrity speaker strobes

I found no pull stations. I assume the panel is a EST3 panel.

Those round speaker strobes are pretty rare

Montrose Historical and Telephone Museum (Montrose) - This was a fun place to visit in terms of vintage devices, as there are some notable pieces worth mentioning. This also marks the first time in several years that I uploaded pictures for some of the devices outside of me usually uploading them to my alarm collection topic.

<At least two Ten-Tek/Dicon photoelectric smoke detectors provide fire coverage for the building.
<One of the exhibit rooms has an Edwards 340 Adaptabel (a 6" gong with the vintage Edwards shield logo), but I’m not positive if it was used for alarm signaling or if it was on static display as it was surrounded by a number of telephone ringer bells.
<There is an interactive pull-rod trip bell (also a 6" gong) that was used for class change at a former school in the area; it might have been a Reiter bell, but I’m not positive.

<One Bell System KS-6931 pull station as a static display for one of the exhibits. Sorry for the low quality; it was behind reflective glass.

<One very antiqued Faraday bell that was used as a bank alarm.

1 Like

For starters the panel in my school is a silent knight 5820XLCB
And in the high school portion there is 2nd generation Gentex SHG alarms
Gentex Commander 3s
Firelite BG 10Ls
And system sensor 2400 smoke detectors
And no annunciator
And for the middle school there’s more 2nd gen SHGS
Like 1 or 2 Gentex commander 3s
Firelite bg 12L pull stations
System sensor spectralert classics
System sensor I3 Smoke detectors
A few firelite bg 10L pull stations
And in the FFA Welding shop there is Gentex commander 3s and Firelite
BG 10L pull stations

This is the panel at my dad’s apartment

It also has these pull stations, Wheelock 34-24s, and system sensor 2400s.

From what I know, these are pretty rare. Each apartment has Kidde smoke detectors

2 Likes