Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Quick update, looks like they replaced the FACP recently…

Freehold Raceway Mall

Main Mall Area

Panel: Notifier ONYX Panel (Likely a 3030 or 640)

Pulls: NBG-12LXs

Detectors: FSP-851s

Signals: Gentex Commander 3s

Shops (Conventional, connected to the main panel)

Detectors: System Sensor I3s, System Sensor 2400s, and Edwards 6250Bs

Signals: Gentex Commander 3s and 4s

Primark

Panel: Notifier FireWarden (Likely an NFW2-100 or NFW-50X)

Pulls: NOT-BG12LXs

Detectors: Notifier NP-100Rs in System Sensor DNR duct detector housings

Signals: Wheelock Exceeders

JCPenny

Panel: ADT Addressable Panel (Likely a Unimode 9050UD)

Pulls: ADT-BG-12LXes

Detectors: Honeywell 355 and 365 series detectors

Signals: System Sensor PC2Ws and SCWs

Macy’s

Panel: Notifier ONYX Panel (Likely tied to the main system or likely the main panel)

Pulls: NBG-12LXes

Detectors: FSP-851s

Signals: Wheelock MT-24MCW-FRs

Defunct Stores

There used to be a Lord & Taylor in this mall. I only remember the detectors used in this store, which were Notifier SDX-551-RCs as well as some other unknown detectors. This mall also used to have a Sears, in which Primark opened in the second floor (Alarms mentioned above).

Hamilton Mall

Main Mall Area

Panel: ADT rebranded EST panel (Likely an EST3)

Pulls: ADT rebranded SIGA-278s

Detectors: ADT rebranded SIGA-PSs and recently added Edwards branded SIGA-PDs (some shops have old what I believe are ESL detectors that are disconnected)

Signals: Genesis ceiling mount speaker/strobes (some shops have wall mount) (One spot has an old federal signal 450D with a VALS strobe that is disconnected)

Macy’s

Panel: Unknown Simplex Panel

Pulls: None (that are visible)

Detectors: 2098-9636s

Signals: Simplex rebranded GX-90s, some have been replaced with TrueAlerts

Defunct Stores

There used to be a JCPenny and a Sears in this mall. I only know the signals that were used in these stores. The Sears had Wheelock NSes and the JCPenney had System Sensor SpectrAlert Classic ceiling mount horn strobes in white.

Atlantic City International Airport

The original terminal building had five gates and doesn’t have voice evac. Then, later on, the building was expanded to add five more gates and this expansion has voice evac.

The panel is a Gamewell-FCI addressable panel.

Original Building

Pulls: MS-2s (Some of which have been replaced with MS-7s)

Detectors: ASD-PL2s, ATD-L2Fs and one ASD-PL

Signals: Wheelock Exceeders, One Wheelock NS, one Wheelock MT and one System Sensor SS ADA compliant strobe

(The rental car center has the same devices)

Expansion

Pulls: MS-7s (And some MS-2s)

Detectors: ASD-PL2s and System Sensor D4120 duct detectors

Signals: System Sensor SPSRs and SPSCRs

348855813_168280256261814_7167764725412871868_n
Gosh, I finally don’t have to put up with the noise of my old smoke alarm noise

My old alarm always went off when I was cooking. I often cook food in pans, which creates smoke. This alarm only went off once in two months, and that time I did burn something. Another nice feature is that it has a large button that is easy to press to silence it for 10 minutes.

This post will talk about the systems in some hotels that I’ve stayed in (Excluding Disney resort hotels)

Crowne Plaza Melbourne-Oceanfront, FL
This hotel has two towers, and each one has a different system. In Tower 1, you acces your room indoors and in Tower 2, you access your room outdoors. I stayed in Tower 2 so I don’t know what devices are in the units in Tower 1.
Tower 1
Panel: Unknown Hochiki Addressable Panel
Pulls: Hochiki DCP-AMS-KLs
Detectors: Hochiki ALN-Vs and ACC-Vs
Signals: Amseco SL24Ws (White) and one Hochiki-rebranded Commander 3 (or 2)
Tower 2
Panel: Addressable Simplex Panel (Likely a 4006ES or 4010ES)
Pulls: FireLite BG-12Ls (Oddly enough)
Detectors: TrueAlarms and unknown conventional heat detectors (elevator recall)
Signals: 4906-9131 Outdoor TrueAlerts
Tower 2 Units
Signals/Detectors: TrueAlarms on sounder bases

Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista, FL
Panel: Simplex Addressable Panel (Likely a 4100U or 4010 using Conventional Zones)
Pulls: 2099-9756s
Detectors: 4098-9601 Conventional TrueAlarms
Signals: 2901-9898s on 4903-9101 strobe plates, Gentex GMSes and SHGs (In some parts of the outdoor portion)
Units
Detectors: Gentex 9120 smoke alarms
Signals: GX-90s

Marriott Newark Liberty International Airport
Panel: Simplex Addressable Panel (Likely a 4100U)
Pulls: 4099-9002s
Detectors: TrueAlarms (Some on CO bases)
Signals: TrueAlert speaker/strobes (White)
Units
Detectors: TrueAlarms on sounder bases
Signals: Wheelock E90 speakers

Walt Disney World Swan
Panel: Siemens Addressable Panel (Likely an MXL)
Pulls: MSI-10Bs and HMS-Ses
Detectors: FP-11s
Signals: Wheelock ET1080-WM-24-VF-Ws, E70s, and Siemens SE-HMC-Ws
Units
Detectors: FP-11s on ADBH-11 sounder bases
Signals: SEC-Ws and ZR-MC-Ws (In ADA-compliant units)

DoubleTree Key West
I’ve heard this system in action before, and it was not fun.
Panel: Addressable FireLite Panel (Likely an MS-9600UDLS)
Pulls: BG-12LXes (Rebranded by a local company)
Detectors: SD355s
Signals: P2Rs, P2RKs, and P2WKs
Units
Detectors: Kidde/FireX i5000 smoke alarms
Signals: Wheelock MiZs (I got woken up at 1AM by these)

Drury Plaza Hotel Orlando
Panel: Notifier Addressable Panel (Likely an NFS2-3030)
Pulls: None (That were visible, probably NBG-12LXes)
Detectors: FSP-951s
Signals: System Sensor SPSCWLs on the first and second floors and Wheelock Eluxa speaker/strobes with L Series speakers from the third floor up.
Units
Detectors: FSP-951s on System Sensor B200S-LF sounder bases
Signals: System Sensor SPWLs on the second floor and Wheelock Eluxa speakers from the third floor up.

Gaylord Palms (Kissimmee, FL)
Panel: Simplex Addressable Panel (Likely a 4100 or 4100U)
Pulls: 2099-9101s
Detectors: TrueAlarms
Signals: Wheelock E70s and ET-1080-IS-24-VFWs
Units
Detectors: TrueAlarms on sounder bases
Signals: Wheelock E70 speakers

DoubleTree (Lancaster, PA)
Panel: Simplex Addressable Panel (Likely a 4100U)
Pulls: 4099-9002s
Detectors: TrueAlarms and six 2908-9636 “Whiffle Balls” (Located in the main ballroom, it is unknown if these are connected, because there’s also TrueAlarms in there)
Signals: Addressable TrueAlert (Non-ES) Horn/Strobes
Units
Detectors/Signals: TrueAlarms on sounder bases

Hilton Anaheim Convention Center
Panel: Unknown
Pulls: None (that are visible)
Detectors: Cerberus-Pyrotronics DI-3s, ILP-1s, ILT-1s and some unknown detectors
Signals: Edwards Integrity strobes (No visible audible signals)
Units
Detectors: Gentex 9120 smoke alarms

Loew’s Royal Pacific (Universal Orlando Resort)
Panel: Notifer Addressable Panel (Likely a 3030, 640, or AFP-400)(Uses CLIP protocol)
Pulls: NBG-12LXes
Detectors: FSP-751s and FSP-851s
Signals: Wheelock E70s
Units
Signals/Detectors: FSP-751/851s on System Sensor B401BH sounder bases

Great Wolf Lodge (Williamsburg, VA)
Panel: Gamewell-FCI Addressable Panel
Pulls: MS-2s (In most of the building) and MS-7s (In the water park)
Detectors: ASD-PL2s
Signals: SpectrAlert Classic Horn/Strobes, one P2R, and a few Wheelock MTs (in one part of the water park)
Units
Signals/Detectors: ASD-PL2s on System Sensor B401BH sounder bases

Great Wolf Lodge (Poconos, PA)
Panel: EST Addressable Panel (Likely an EST3)
Pulls: SIGA-278s
Detectors: SIGA-PSes
Signals: Genesis Horn/Strobes and Integrity Horn/Strobes (located in the water park)
Units
Detectors: SIGA-PSes on SIGA-AB4G sounder bases
Signals: SIGA-AB4G sounder bases, and Genesis remote strobes (In the bathrooms)

There are many more, but I’m gonna leave it here.

There’s an old video of the system going off at the poconos pa great wolf lodge location

Disney World’s animal kingdom uses a Siemens voice evacuation system from what I know.

1 Like

There’s all different kinds of systems in Disney (shown above by another user)

This post will talk about some of the systems I’ve found in some of the churches that I’ve been to.

Peace Lutheran Church
Panel: Unknown (The system is likely part of a security system)
Pulls: Edwards 270-SPOs
Detectors: None (Residential smoke alarms not connected to the main system)
Signals: System Sensor SpectrAlert Classics

Grace Lutheran Church
Panel: Fire-Lite MS-10UD
Pulls: Edwards 270-SPOs
Detectors: System Sensor I3s (One with a sounder) and Chemtronics heat detectors
Signals: System Sensor SpectrAlert Classics and one SR in a bathroom

Calvary Baptist Church
Panel: EST3X
Detectors: SIGA2-PSes
Signals: Genesis speaker/strobes and one 10-inch bell (Likely an Edwards NB10-24) (Located in the basement)

St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church
Panel: Simplex Panel (Likely a 4006, 4008, or 4010)
Pulls: 2099-9756s
Detectors: 4098-9601 Conventional TrueAlarms
Signals: TrueAlerts

Bayside Chapel
Panel: Unknown (Likely 2 systems)
Pulls: Unknown (I didn’t look)
Detectors: System Sesnor I3s (In one section)
Signals: Siemens UMMTs and System Sensor P2Rs (Both in their own sections)

Citizens Bank Park
Panel: EST2
Indoors
Detectors: SIGA-PSes
Signals: Genesis speaker/strobes and remote strobes (mostly ceiling mount)
Outdoors
Pulls: SIGA-278s (Behind stoppers, mostly in covered areas)
Detectors: SIGA-PSes (in covered areas, used for elevator recall)
Signals: Integrity speaker/strobes, Integrity remote strobes, and one Genesis remote strobe (in a covered area)

Some updates regarding Walt Disney World. (previous post 1 (resorts), previous post 2 (parks and Disney Springs))

RESORTS
Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge Villas)
Panel: Siemens Desigo Fire Safety Modular
Pulls: XMS-D’s

Detectors: OOHC941’s

Signals: Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes (rebranded)

This was quite a shock to see, given that other resorts (e.g. the BoardWalk) kept some of their peripheral devices during panel swaps, and the old speaker/strobes at Boulder Ridge (S-LP-series) were ADA-compliant and synchronizable.
Now if only they’d finally get around to upgrading the Contemporary… that system is a Mickey Mouse operation.

MAGIC KINGDOM
Tiana’s Bayou Adventure (somewhat controversial retheme of Splash Mountain)
While this isn’t set to open until well into next year, the Frontierland railroad station is part of this building and is remaining open during the construction.
Pulls: RSG RMS-1T’s rebranded by Siemens, replacing the existing ones (the regular Stoppers were replaced with hinged ones, and the pulls themselves look quite new and have new address labels while the old ones had the address written on them)

Signals: Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobes (rebranded)

EPCOT
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
Panel: Siemens Desigo Fire Safety Modular
Pulls: HMS-S’

Detectors: OP921’s

Signals: Wheelock E50 speaker/strobes (rebranded)

DISNEY SPRINGS
Raglan Road (This is a third-party tenant, so the system is a bit different than that in Disney buildings.)
Pulls: Silent Knight BG-12S’

Signals: L-Series horn/strobes

Red Lobster Ocean County Mall

Panel: Fire-Lite Addressable Panel (Likely an ES-50X) (ANN-80 Annunciator in white)

Pulls: BG-12LXes

Detectors: SD365s and H365s

Signals: P2Rs, P2RLs, SRs and SRLs

1 Like

I worked at Red Lobster in Canada before landing my Fire technician gig. It’s funny to hear such a modern system installed. But the majority of Red Lobsters in Canada are from the early 80s, or earlier.

Around 1984, General Mills (yes the cereal company) owned RL and was expanding it. Canada had a popular steak chain called Ponderosa (I think the US had it as well), and when they closed down, General Mills bought pretty much all of their restaurants in Canada, and used them for Red Lobster. I think at its peak, there was around 80 to 100 locations in Canada.

Very few of them were actually built as Red Lobster. The first one was in Windsor, Ontario and was built from the ground up. It looks more like the US Red Lobsters. There are a few in Alberta and out west that were also built as originals, and one in Sudbury and what not. But the one I worked at and the majority in Ontario (where they are mainly located) are Ponderosa remakes. Now a days there is 27 locations in Canada, about to be 26 due to condo development in one city.

But back to my point, the fire system in my restaurant was a simple Mircom FA-1025T, which replaced an older Mirtone panel. There are 6 bells, One is a Mircom BL-10, An Edwards 439D 10" and 6", and then 3 Mirtone 74303 6" fire bells. Pulls are Mirtone 73303s and Mircom MS-401s. Most are like this, I’m not sure if any have a modern system. Maybe the ones in Toronto, but they are in a massive shopping plaza.

What would happen if I broke the glass on the pull station cover but didn’t pull the pull station?

Nothing would happen. You’d just make a mess

Some more systems…
MBTA Red Line - Davis Square - Somerville, MA
Same as Central, except there’s also one SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe near one of the elevators. The panel is an FCI 7200 with this annunciator at one of the entrances.

I was quite surprised to find a 7200 still in use, as most of the MBTA’s other Gamewell-FCI systems have had their panels replaced with E3’s. (however, none of them are in Somerville. Davis is the only underground station in this city.)

Southwest Florida International Airport - Fort Myers, FL
Pulls: EST SIGA-270’s

Detectors: SIGA’s (not that many)

Signals: Genesis remote strobes in areas that are covered by the PA system, and speaker/strobes in areas that aren’t covered by it. (there were a bunch of recently-added empty junction boxes on the ceiling, so they might be switching from the PA to dedicated fire alarm speakers. There’s quite a bit of construction going on for an expansion project.)

Oddly enough, a loading dock has a Wheelock AS horn/strobe. (I first thought it may be a sprinkler waterflow signal, but there didn’t appear to be any fire department connections nearby.)

Monaco Beach Club Condominium - Naples, FL
Just a regular EST system as previously mentioned in the thread, but one heat detector was replaced with a SIGA-HRD.

What would happen if I broke the glass on the pull station cover but didn’t pull the pull station?

Are you planning to do this? I strongly encourage you to reconsider.

There’s a good chance that you’d get trespassed from Walt Disney World. This would apply to the entire property - all parks, resorts, Disney Springs, everything! Park tickets may be forfeited with no refund. (Resort room reservations, however, would be refunded as required by Florida Statute 509.141.)

If such guest has paid in advance, the establishment shall, at the time such notice is given, tender to such guest the unused portion of the advance payment; however, the establishment may withhold payment for each full day that the guest has been entertained at the establishment for any portion of the 24-hour period of such day.

However, unlike the way some retail chains do it, the trespass warnings that Disney issues are valid only at the property where they were issued. This means that a person who’s trespassed from Walt Disney World can still go to Disneyland, or vice versa.

Here’s what trespass warnings look like at Walt Disney World: https://media.wtsp.com/assets/WTSP/images/614188333/614188333.jpg

The ones at Disneyland look different (no picture found but here’s a description in this thread on another forum):

1 Like

Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport - Terminal 1 - Fort Snelling Unorganized Territory, MN
I’ve mentioned most of this system before but here are some more things…
Panel: Honeywell XLS3000 (rebranded Notifier NFS2-3030). The new annunciators are in a metal cabinet for some reason. The old system was an XLS1000 (EST3), and before that an FS90.

Pulls: S464A’s and S464G1007’s

Signals: Despite the large size of this terminal, the old signals may have been horn/strobes due to the backbox extender ring that a couple of of the E70’s are on, and the light rail station still has AS horn/strobes.

Ron Jon Surf Shop, Long Beach Island

Panel: Fire-Lite Conventional Panel (Likely an MS-5UD that replaced an older panel, LCD-80F annunciator)

Pulls: BG-12s

Detectors: System Sensor 2100s, I3s, and DH400 duct detectors

Signals: Wheelock MT-24-LSMs (or SLMs)