Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Patriot Place - Foxboro, MA
Pull stations: RSG RMS-1T’s rebranded by Siemens
Detectors: FirePrints
Signals: Wheelock ZNS horn/strobes, and ASWP’s outside. Some stores have E70 speaker/strobes, and ET70WP’s outside. All signals are the Siemens rebrands, obviously.

As for Gillette Stadium, I wasn’t able to go in, but it appeared to also have a Siemens/Cerberus system, with the same pull stations, U-MCS-WP strobes, and Wheelock STH-15S speakers.

[quote=randomperson post_id=80985 time=1531510987 user_id=3878]

Now if you want to get really, really, evil, there’s a system that (former) user weatherdan882002 mentioned, that had Wheelock AS horn/strobes IN SINGLE-TOILET BATHROOMS. :shock:

[/quote]

Meh, I’ve seen that on several occasions. One of those was at an apartment complex in the same state university system (different campus). ALL 2-bedroom apartments had the unit’s horn in the restroom for some reason.

My current apartment building has TrueAlert horn/strobes in the public single-person restrooms downstairs. I’ve seen several places with SpectrAlert Advance or Commander2 horn/strobes in single-person restrooms.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=74295 time=1495327354 user_id=3744]

Canadian Tire in Cochrane (just opened last year) has an EST i064 system, with EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes. Pulls are all EST SIGA-270 (newer EST logo)

[/quote]

I was here again, and there is an outdoor signal for this building, it’s hard to notice it. On the right side of the building in the front, there’s an Edwards/EST WG4R-HVMC or WG4RF-HVMC (unknown if it has “FIRE” lettering) horn/strobe.

Well it turns out in Weymouth MA, some of the schools still have some neat older fire alarm equipment in use!

The Hamilton Elementary School was built in 1971 with an old Simplex system; I didn’t see the panel, but it was presumably originally a Simplex 4208. Outside there is an old weatherproof Simplex annunciator.
The original alarms are Simplex 4051 horns, with several of them on Space Age AV32 light plates (no “FIRE” lettering), and some are on Simplex 4050-80 light plates; they are the late-70s version with the shorter wider lens (no “FIRE” lettering) and have the horn sticking out a bit (contrasting with the early 70s 4050-80s that have the longer lens that thins out further and the horn fully recessed into the plate), suggesting they are replacing Space Age AV32 plates that failed. In the cafetorium, there are double-projector attachments on the 4051 horns, and nearby is a Simplex 4903 horn on a 4050-80 plate, obviously replacing a 4051 that failed.
The original pulls are Simplex single-action 4251-20s, several with Stopper II covers over them. At least one of them is the early version with the metal T-bar that lacks the arrow; others do have the arrow on the lever. I also saw an Edwards/AIP 270-SPO obviously replacing a Simplex pull that failed. The original smoke detectors are ESL 523Cs, though I also saw a couple of System Sensor 2400 smoke detectors and a 90s-style ESL smoke detector. There were also 4255-1 mechanical heat sensors in classrooms and a few other areas.
The school bells are older gray 60s-style Simplex “STR” bells; inside they are flush-mounted behind grilles. For the most part, inside they have 4017 6" bells, but in the cafetorium there’s a 4027 10" bell. Outside they have the same 10" bells, but with those metal cover thingies over most of them, along with an Edwards 6" Adaptabel. The classrooms had these cool vintage Simplex “modular classroom panels” that includes a slave clock, intercom speaker, telephone, light switches and thermostat all in one panel! The clocks were still keeping good time, from what I saw, though I did not see the master clock panel. Other areas like the cafetorium and such had round silver Simplex slave clocks.

The Pingree Elementary School is much older, built in 1957, the same year my middle school was built! It was added onto in 1973, so the fire alarm system is obviously not original. The original 1957 fire alarm system was presumably an Edwards system, but with the 1973 addition, they put in a Simplex 4208 fire alarm panel that’s still operational! It’s a six-zone 24-VDC system; the panel is located in the principal’s office, and in the main entrance is an unusual six-gang annunciator I never saw with little red round indicator lights; didn’t look like a Simplex annunciator to me.
Again, the alarms are Simplex 4051 horns, installed on 4050-80 light plates (the earlier recessed version); in the original 1957 structure they’re surface-mounted on the red 4050-80 backboxes. In the gymnasium/auditorium room there is a 4051 horn on a Space Age AV32 light plate, presumably replacing a 4050-80 that got smashed by a ball. Outside the main entrance there’s a Space Age 2DCD+AV32 horn/light; it probably wasn’t part of the Simplex 4208 system’s installation though.
In the original 1957 structure, they kept the original Edwards 270-SPO pulls, complete with the older “E” shield logo, but lowered to meet with ADA requirements. I didn’t get a good look at any pulls in the 1973 addition, but I would assume they are Simplex 4251-20s, continuing the trend for here. Some of the old Edwards heat sensors (rebranded Chemtronics 400 heat sensors without the trim plates) are still intact, along with a few of the Edwards version of the Chemtronics 500 mechanical heat sensor. I also saw some System Sensor 2300TB smoke detectors, presumably replacing some kind of old smoke or heat sensor.
They still have the original Edwards master clock from 1957 in use! This greatly surprised me, as my middle school already had theirs replaced in the 80s (with a Simplex one). The school bells are 6" Edwards 340 Adaptabels, the exact same kind my middle school used (complete with the older white label on the gong.) Outside there are 10" Adaptabels, many with metal cover thingies on them. They also have many of the original Edwards slave clocks in use; again, the same kind my middle school had. (Yeah, I admit this place reminded me a lot of my middle school, except for the fire alarm system.)

The Chapman Middle School was built in 1961 as a vocational high school, before being repurposed as a middle school much later. It has a pretty cool “modern” architectural design. It still has its’ original Gamewell FlexAlarm system intact, though!
The alarms I saw were what appeared to be old Federal Vibratone 350 horns, installed on trim plates. The original pulls are Gamewell Centuries, and they had Stopper II covers installed over them.

The Wessagusset Elementary School was also built in 1971, and is a smaller, more quaint-looking school building. In the main vestibule is a King-Fisher KFRI panel of some kind, but I don’t know if it’s the main fire alarm panel; from the documentation I read it’s most likely a combination radio transmitter/annunciator panel, and it had a master box number placed on the front cabinet, and right next to it was a plated-over space where a Gamewell master box once was. Next to it was a small old Simplex annunciator that had the indicator lights covered up in some way. If the KFRI box is not the main panel, then they probably still have the original fire alarm panel in use, most likely a Simplex 4208.
The original alarms are Simplex 4041 horns on 4050-80 light plates, again the early version with the horn recessed into the plate. Since I’m so used to seeing those light plates with 4051s, this was an interesting change of pace for me. In the media center, there was a Wheelock MT-24MCW horn/strobe on an RPR adapter plate, probably replacing a Simplex 4041+4050-80 that failed.
The original pulls are, again, Simplex 4251-20s. But in the cafeteria there is an Edwards 270-SPO that is obviously replacing a failed 4251-20. I also saw several old Simplex 4255-1 and 4265 heat sensors.
They also had the same round silver Simplex clocks as the Hamilton school; in the classrooms they were on Dukane clock/speaker brackets. One room had an 80s-style Simplex clock. I didn’t see any bells on the inside, so I would imagine they use a time tone on the intercom, but outside I saw a 10" bell of some kind (either an Edwards Adaptabel or older Simplex “STR” bell) on a chimney-like structure, and on a couple other sides they had those metal rugged bell enclosures that most likely housed school bells in them. Maybe they only use real bells outside and the intercom on the inside.

1 Like

1 Washington Street - Boston, MA
Panel: EST3 (saw an annunciator, it had a Trouble condition. :roll:
Pull stations: SIGA-278’s
Detectors: SIGA’s
Signals: Genesis speaker/strobes

Jeb’s No Frills in Beaumont has an EST (GE) QuickStart system, with EST G1-HDVM horn/strobes. One of the horn/strobes has a red trim plate. Outside, there is an EST 757-7A-T horn/strobe. Pulls are EST (GE) SIGA-270, smokes are EST SIGA-PS.

McDonald’s in Leduc had a system upgrade a little while ago. It now has a newer EST system, possibly a FireShield, with Edwards MB10-24 bells. Pulls are Edwards 274-111, which are kept from the original system. The original system was an EST 6616 or so, with an Edwards Durabel in the restaurant and a Mirtone 74330 (rebranded Edwards 439D-10AWC) bell in the playplace.

Beaumont Credit Union has a Notifier NFS-320C system, with System Sensor P2R horn/strobes. Pulls are Notifier NBG-12 (no flashing light).

The Donut Mill in Red Deer has a Fire-Lite MS-5UD system, with a Wheelock MBS-G6-24 bell/strobe under a MENU :shock: . Outside there is an Edwards 439D-6AWC bell. Pulls are Edwards 270-SPO, heats are Edwards 280B-PL.

Royal Pizza in Leduc (which is in a small plaza) probably has an EST FireShield system, with EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes. Pulls are EST SIGA-270, smokes EST SIGA-PS.

Giant Tiger in Leduc (which is in a medium-large plaza) has a Mircom FX-2000 system (located at entrance), with Mircom FHS-240R horn/strobes. Pulls are Mircom MS-401.

Leduc Recreational Center has a Notifier AFP-200 (with a TROUBLE) system tied into a Simplex 4100U system, with mostly System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobes. In the new office centre and other places in the building have Simplex 4906-9127 TrueAlert horn/strobes. In the pool area, there is a mix of System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobes and System Sensor P2R horn/strobes (obviously replacements). Pulls are mainly Notifier MPS-950B, but in the pool area there is also a Notifier NBG-12LX (flashing red), and a Mircom MS-401. There are also Simplex 4099-9001 pulls where there are TrueAlerts.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=81174 time=1533006062 user_id=3744]

Leduc Recreational Center has a Notifier AFP-200 (with a TROUBLE) system tied into a Simplex 4100U system, with mostly System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobes. In the new office centre and other places in the building have Simplex 4906-9127 TrueAlert horn/strobes. In the pool area, there is a mix of System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobes and System Sensor P2R horn/strobes (obviously replacements). Pulls are mainly Notifier MPS-950B, but in the pool area there is also a Notifier NBG-12LX (flashing red), and a Mircom MS-401. There are also Simplex 4099-9001 pulls where there are TrueAlerts.

[/quote]

Oops, it should say “recreation” not “recreational”.

PetSmart (in the same building as the Winners & HomeSense previosly mentioned, it has an EST GE QuickStart) has probably Genesis horn/strobes hidden behind signs, I didn’t see anything. Pull was an EST SIGA-270, the stores are in a small-medium plaza, the outdoor signal is a System Sensor SRK out of Shoe Company.

Earls in Dalhousie has a Simplex 4006 system, with possibly Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes. Pulls were probably Simplex 4099-9001. I’ll give an update in the future about this system.

As of July 24, 1986, the HP Filton Data Center had a halon system that had Ellenco 5C pull stations and Wheelock 7002t horn/strobes, panel unknown.

It is also unknown what the current system is.
Source of information
[YouTube]Jx1s8u2Mpmo[/YouTube]

Most likely if it was upgraded I could see it being some speaker/strobe combination instead of horns. Maybe SpectrAlert Advances. God knows they are everywhere,

Maybe, or maybe they kept the alarms because they still worked.

Do you think the panel was relay-based?

is halon gas dangerous to be near?

[quote=MODKILLER1001 post_id=81241 time=1533494843 user_id=3686]

is halon gas dangerous to be near?

[/quote]

It can be an irritant on its own, causing cold or flu-like respiratory symptoms in some accounts of exposure, but in a discharge situation, the real danger comes from the fact that the oxygen in the room is displaced in order to smother the fire. This presents the danger of asphyxiation, as breathable oxygen within the room is significantly decreased.

Here’s a quick abstract on a study regarding the impacts of Halon exposure: Health effects of Halon 1301 exposure - PubMed

I first learned of halon gas in the “Speed Racer” episode “The Man Behind the Mask,” when the titular villain’s “art museum” was equipped with a fire suppression system.
“No you don’t! Push that button and a special gas would overcome us! In case of fire we push this button, and the entire chamber becomes filled with carbonate gas, which smothers the fire instantly.”

Dollar Tree in Beaumont (in the same small two-store plaza as Jeb’s No Frills, the plaza has an EST (GE) QuickStart), with EST G1-HDVM horn strobes, but one of the signals is an EST G1F-HDVM horn/strobe (first time I see a Genesis with “FIRE” lettering in person). Pulls are EST SIGA-270, smokes EST SIGA-PS.

Sobeys in Beaumont (in a small-medium plaza) has probably an EST QuickStart, with EST G1-HDVM horn/strobes. There are a few System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced HW horns, they are usually by the doors, not sure if they are part of the system, as I saw an EST horn/strobe not far from it. Pulls are EST SIGA-270, smokes EST SIGA-PS possibly.

Went to the Wisconsin State Fair last weekend.

Milwaukee Mile Speedway
————————•
Wheelock 34T on the exterior
Red Wheelock STH horn-speakers connected to RSS strobes

WSF Expo hall (Simplex System)
————————•
Simplex 2901-9845 horns on 4903-9105 strobe plates
Simplex 2099 single action pulls.

The Original Cream Puff Pavilion (EST 3)
————————•
CW EST Genesis speaker/strobes
EST SIGA-278 pulls.

WSF Expo Center (Simplex 4100U)
————————•
WR Simplex TrueAlert horn/strobes and remote strobes
Simplex 4099 dual action pulls.
Simplex TrueAlarms?

Marriott Hotel (EST 3/ VERY NEW)
————————•
WW EST Genesis (marked FIRE) horn/strobes and remote strobes.
WW EST Integrity horn/strobes in the pool area and outside.
One EST Genesis marked ALERT instead in the buffet area. (out of stock?)
EST SIGA-278 pull stations
EST SIGA2-PHS smoke detectors (rooms have 520 HZ sounder bases)

Maxfield Pancake House (Tied-in plaza system)
————————•
WC System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes
Wheelock MT-looking alarm with a non-ADA strobe outside.

(IDK what is with EST and hotels because most of the ones I stay at have an EST system with their devices and signals.)

St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church (Livonia, circa 1963)

The only alarm-related device I could spot here was a vintage smoke detector in one of the northeastern hallways, but I couldn’t get close enough to identify the manufacturer/model number. There doesn’t appear to be a centralized fire alarm system in this large building; however, according to an evacuation plan, the southeastern-most hallway appears to have manually-operated fire alarms, but I have no idea what they are since that part of the building wasn’t accessible.

Emmanuel Lutheran Church (Livonia) - According to their Facebook page, the church (and likely their building also) dates to circa 1991. It appears to be on its second system.

Panel/annunciators: Unknown, presumably National Time 900 or 902-series models

Detectors:

Gentex ionization detectors above the entrance doors to the fellowship hall

Pull stations:

National Time 540-series single-action models; presumably, the original pull stations were National Time 641 models.

Notification appliances:

National Time-branded Gentex Commander horn/strobes and strobes throughout the facility. Presumably, the original NAs were rebranded Faraday devices.
G.S. Edwards-branded 6" Adaptabels (340 series), all of which are ceiling-mounted, for general signaling.

Starkweather Academy at Fiegel (Plymouth Township) - This facility was formerly Fiegel Elementary School and appeared to first open during the 1960s.

Panel/annunciators: Unknown, presumably National Time 900 or 902-series models

Detectors: Unknown

Pull stations:

National Time 540-series single-action models, all of which are behind National Time’s own version of the STI Stopper. The original pull stations were most likely National Time 620M models.

Notification appliances:

The original devices were most likely National Time 411F horns, judging by the metal plates installed when the old horns were removed. The current devices consist of National Time-branded Gentex Commander horn/strobes and strobes, both wall-mount and ceiling-mount.
It’s possible that the interior vibrating bells are still used here as part of the original bell system. All these bells are 6" in diamater (National Time P806 models?) and behind white grilles. Outside, however, are square intercoms that replaced the original bells to the building.

I have never seen a bell mounted on a ceiling before. Then again I haven’t really seen a genuine school bell either.

Dossin Great Lakes Museum (Detroit) - There are several vintage components here!

Annunciator/panels: Unknown

Detectors:

Most of the detectors are ADT-branded ESL photoelectric models (the ones with the side viewing holes), scattered throughout the museum.
One System Sensor i3-series photoelectric detector was installed in a foyer, presumably replacing a failed ESL detector.
One Honeywell 5809-series heat detector was installed inside the DeRoy Hall, presumably replacing another old ESL detector.

Pull stations:

There’s an ADT B5009 pull station near the restroom hall! It’s my first time seeing one of these in person.

Notification appliances:

One Atlas Soundolier UCL-series speaker, which has an exposed wire to the ADT pull.
The pilot house has a Henschel Corporation bell, 6" in diameter (model unknown), used as part of an old boat’s alarm system. It’s on static display now and no longer used for general signaling.
A few older Detex ECL-230D exit alarms are installed also, all of which are mounted above panic bars, and about as high up as the top of my head!

Tao of Peace in Bowness has a Mircom FA-1000 system, with a Fire-Lite rebranded Wheelock MB-G6-24 bell on a Wheelock RSSP-24MCW strobe plate by the entrance, and a Wheelock MB-G10-24 bell (not sure if rebranded by Fire-Lite) on a Wheelock RSSP-24MCW strobe plate by the exit. Pulls are a Simplex MS-301C that says “PULL OUT” instead of “PULL DOWN” by the 6" bell/strobe, and a Notifier MPS-950B by the 10" bell/strobe.

The new Alabama welcome center on I-10 East has probably the most overkill system I’ve seen: a Simplex 4100ES voice system with addressable TrueAlert speaker/strobes. I don’t know how a glorified restroom could possibly meet the occupancy numbers to make a voice system required, so either there’s some interesting Alabama code at play or the Tyco sales guy got a huge pat on the back for making that sale.