Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Banff Gondola (main building) has a Notifier NFS2-640C system (installed around 2015-2018, replacing an EST 6616) with two Edwards 439D-6AWC bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. Near an exit, there is an Edwards MB6-24 bell. On one pole, there is one of the two Edwards bell/strobe combos mentioned above, and the other side has an EST 202-5A-T strobe. The gondola boarding area has an Edwards 439D-10AWC bell with an EST 202-5A-T strobe beside it. Pulls are Edwards 270-SPO, heat detectors are Edwards 280B-PL, smokes are Edwards EDW1451A/EDW2151A (aka “doorknob” smokes). The components are all from the original system.

Banff Gondola Upper Terminal has a Notifier NFS2-3030C system, with mainly Wheelock HSWC horn/strobes and Wheelock HNWC horns (first time I’ve saw Wheelock Exceders)! There are a few Wheelock STWC strobes in the building. Some areas have Wheelock HSW horn/strobes. The stairways have Wheelock HNW horns. The gondola area has System Sensor P2R and P2RK horn/strobes. Outside, on the 4th floor balconies (and possibly the others) have Wheelock HSR horn/strobes and Wheelock HNR horns. Pulls are Notifier NBG-12LX (all had flashing green). Smokes are System Sensor 2151, and some have sounders.

Miette Hot Springs has an EST QuickStart (older one), with mainly Edwards 439D-6AWC bells. One is installed upside down. In the pool area outdoors, there is a Notifier KMS-10-24A bell. Pulls are mainly Mircom MS-401, but there was an Edwards 270-SPOB (bilingual) by a staff room. Smokes are Edwards EDW1451A/EDW2151A and one System Sensor i3, heats are Edwards 280B-PL.

Jasper Brewing Company has a Simplex 4010 system, with Simplex 4906-9127 horn/strobes. Pulls are Simplex 4099-9001.

Bearspaw School has an EST QuickStart system, with EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes. There is a Mircom BL-6B outside, possibly disconnected. Pulls are EST SIGA-270, smokes are EST SIGA-PS

Winners in Beacon Hill has an EST (GE) QuickStart system, with EST G1R-HDVM horn/strobes. Pulls are EST SIGA-270, smokes are EST SIGA-PS.

Northland Village Mall has a Siemens system (possibly a FireFinder XLS), with mainly Siemens U-MMT multi-tone/strobes (some with FIRE lettering on sides, some on the front with bilingual letterings) The Walmart there has ceiling mount U-MMT’s on the walls. There are some Siemens-rebranded bilingual Wheelock MT-24MCW multi-tone/strobes, possibly a replacement. There are possibly different signals replacing U-MMTs, I’ll get into that in another post. Pulls are Siemens HMS-2S (bilingual)

A FedEx, a Subway, and the rest of the stores in a mini-plaza in Mundelien have a Wheelock NS horn/strobe by the door and a Grinnell RMS-1T T-Bar under. Nothing else.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=79495 time=1520822822 user_id=3744]

Best Buy in Beacon Hill has a Simplex 4010 system, with Simplex 4906-9127 horn/strobes. Pulls are all 4099-9001.

[/quote]

Update: I was here again, the system has been replaced with a Simplex 4007ES Hybrid, and all the devices remain intact. This store is in a medium-sized plaza.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=80870 time=1529888846 user_id=3744] [quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=79495 time=1520822822 user_id=3744]

Best Buy in Beacon Hill has a Simplex 4010 system, with Simplex 4906-9127 horn/strobes. Pulls are all 4099-9001.

[/quote]

Update: I was here again, the system has been replaced with a Simplex 4007ES Hybrid, and all the devices remain intact. This store is in a medium-sized plaza.

[/quote]

I was here yet again, the plaza’s outdoor signals are System Sensor P2RK horn/strobes.

A small plaza near Royal Oak (which has the Planet Organic and Jerusalem Shawarma previously mentioned, and a liquor store and a floral shop), has a Notifier NFS-320C (panel in Planet Organic) system, with System Sensor P2R/P4R horn/strobes, set to 30cd and 15cd. Outside the Planet Organic, there is a System Sensor SRK strobe. Pulls are Notifier NBG-12LX, smokes are System Sensor 2151.

1 Like

Boston Logan International Airport - Terminal C - Boston, MA
Panel: Simplex 4120, located in the Fire Command Center near the Alaska Airlines baggage service office.
Pull stations: 2099-9795’s in older areas, 4099-9003’s in newer areas, 4099-9006’s in the newest areas.
Detectors: Newer and older TrueAlarms in some areas.
Signals: 4903 speaker/strobes and 4902 speakers in older areas. TrueAlert speaker/strobes (both wall and ceiling) and remote speakers in newer areas. The check-in hall has a few Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes. There’s also at least one Wheelock ET-1010 speaker outside.

Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport - Terminal 2 - Fort Snelling Unorganized Territory, MN
Panel: Honeywell XLS1000 (rebranded EST3)
I saw an annunciator, and it was displaying multiple troubles. No surprise, it’s EST.
Pull stations: Honeywell S464G1007’s (BG-12LX’s)
Detectors: System Sensor/Honeywell 2251’s (older and newer)
Signals: Wheelock 8-inch (S8) and E70 speaker/strobes in most areas.
Some areas (e.g. restrooms) use E90 speaker/strobes.
Some areas near the parking garage have AS horn/strobes. (left over from the previous system)

Loring Green West Condominiums - Minneapolis, MN
Panel: EST3, located in the front office.
Pull stations: SIGA-278’s
Detectors: SIGA’s in common areas. (and at least one SIGA-PD)
SIGA2’s with sounder bases in individual units.
Signals: Genesis speaker/strobes in common areas, and remote speakers in stairwells, and remote strobes in some common areas.

Atlas/Soundolier “L31-70-A” speakers in individual units.
There is also an Integrity speaker/strobe outside, and an Integrity speaker in the greenhouse.

1 Like
[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=77961 time=1513653067 user_id=3744]

Brookfield Place has an EST voice-evac system, with mostly EST Genesis GC-S2 speakers high on the ceiling. One side of the hall has EST Genesis G1-VM strobes, but the other side has EST G4-S2 speakers. In the hall that leads to Scotia Centre and in the hallway that leads you to Bow Valley Square, have EST GC-S2VM speaker/strobes. Pulls are all EST GE SIGA-270, under Stoppers.

[/quote]

I was here again, there is an EST 757-1A-S25W speaker down a stairwell, the smokes are EST SIGA2-PS.

Stampede GrandStand Stadium has a Notifier ONYX-series system, with System Sensor P1224MC horn/strobes. Pulls are Notifier MPS-950B, and one Notifier N-MPS-series pull.

Erlton Stampede station has an EST system of some sort, with Edwards MB10-24 bells on EST 403-5A-R strobe plates. Pulls are EST SIGA-270, smokes are EST SIGA-PS.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=77705 time=1512254980 user_id=3744]

Sobeys in Royal Oak has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced P2R/P4R horn strobes. Most on he ceiling, but one is on the wall of the bakery dept. Pulls are all Mircom MS-401.

[/quote]

I was here again, the alarm went off today (false alarm), and the Mircom FX-2000 is coded to continuous, but all horn/strobes are not synchronized, they are set to code-3, low volume (thank goodness!), and 30cd.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=80967 time=1531420499 user_id=3744] [quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=77705 time=1512254980 user_id=3744]

Sobeys in Royal Oak has a Mircom FX-2000 system, with System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced P2R/P4R horn strobes. Most on he ceiling, but one is on the wall of the bakery dept. Pulls are all Mircom MS-401.

[/quote]

I was here again, the alarm went off today (false alarm), and the Mircom FX-2000 is coded to continuous, but all horn/strobes are not synchronized, they are set to code-3, low volume (thank goodness!), and 30cd.

[/quote]

P2Rs can be quite loud even on low volume.

[quote="Gentex SPK4" post_id=80971 time=1531443130 user_id=3486] [quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=80967 time=1531420499 user_id=3744] [quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=77705 time=1512254980 user_id=3744]

[/quote]

[/quote]

P2Rs can be quite loud even on low volume.

[/quote]

I agree, some were high volume too, the ones on low were a bit loud, not too bad. I was also surprised they were not in sync.

Panera Bread in Lake Bluff has a small older Fire Lite system. There are a couple SpectrAlert horn/strobes, although one of them has a Wheelock AS mounted right above it! I’m assuming that the SpectrAlert was disconnected but I’m not sure why they didn’t remove it. Pulls are older gen Fire-Lite BG-12s.

A McDonalds/Kwik Trip combo has the same system with the same NAs & pulls although some are ceiling mounts. The bathroom rooms have wall-mounted strobes, though each individual stall has a ceiling mounted strobe! I guess that’s pretty neat.

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=80977 time=1531502045 user_id=3956]

A McDonalds/Kwik Trip combo has the same system with the same NAs & pulls although some are ceiling mounts. The bathroom rooms have wall-mounted strobes, though each individual stall has a ceiling mounted strobe! I guess that’s pretty neat.

[/quote]

If each stall is set up as a “room” with walls (not those restroom partitions, actual walls), a strobe would probably be required.
I have seen speaker/strobes (Wheelock 8-inch) in larger handicapped toilet stall “rooms”.

Now if you want to get really, really, evil, there’s a system that (former) user weatherdan882002 mentioned, that had Wheelock AS horn/strobes IN SINGLE-TOILET BATHROOMS. :shock:

While it may not technically be the smallest voice-evac system I’ve ever seen, I recently came across a motel that has a pretty wacky setup for a such a small property.

It’s this motel:
Google Maps

I’ve never stayed here before, but I’ve been inside and the building has some sort of EST voice-evac system with Edwards Genesis speaker/strobes and 278B pull stations. This is a two-story independent motel in a city of a few thousand with less than 30 rooms in it. Why the building has a voice-evac system I have zero clue. I feel like horn/strobes would’ve been just fine here :lol: . Heck, I’ve seen midrise hotels with hundreds of rooms operated by chain brands in large cities that have horn/strobes. Definitely scratching my head at this one.

[quote=EpicFireAlarms post_id=81022 time=1531706710 user_id=3400]

While it may not technically be the smallest voice-evac system I’ve ever seen, I recently came across a motel that has a pretty wacky setup for a such a small property.

It’s this motel:
Google Maps

I’ve never stayed here before, but I’ve been inside and the building has some sort of EST voice-evac system with Edwards Genesis speaker/strobes and 278B pull stations. This is a two-story independent motel in a city of a few thousand with less than 30 rooms in it. Why the building has a voice-evac system I have zero clue. I feel like horn/strobes would’ve been just fine here :lol: . Heck, I’ve seen midrise hotels with hundreds of rooms operated by chain brands in large cities that have horn/strobes. Definitely scratching my head at this one.

[/quote]

There’s probably an assembly occupancy within there so that’s why I think that’s the case.

House on the Rock Entrance:

Two SpectrAlert Advances by the ticket desks, no where else.
FCI branded BG-12s

House on the Rock Gift Shop/Information Centre

Oldish Notifier System
White Wheelock ASes
White Wheelock RSSes in the bathrooms
Notifier NBG-12s
A good abundance of System Sensor SD-355s even in the bathrooms

Culver’s

Some sort of Potter system
A System Sensor SMOKE horn/strobe

Holiday Inn near Madison, WI

LARGE Older Silent Knight system
SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes
Gentex GX-90s in hotel rooms
Silent Knight Smokes
Silent Knight RSG T-Bars
Silent Knight SD500-PS

McDonalds near Wisconsin border

Ceiling Wheelock Exceeders
Notifier NBG-12s

Cave of the Mounds Gift Shop

Edwards 270-SPO
Ademco 529 (but the label is black?)
Old Edwards Smoke Detectors
Nothing Else…

Pub/Grill restaurant I forgot the name of

Simplex 4099-9003
Nothing else…

Yea… have you guys ever come across a system with pulls or smokes but no NAs?

1 Like
[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=81053 time=1531801744 user_id=3956] Yea... have you guys ever come across a system with pulls or smokes but no NAs?

[/quote]

Yes, but it also had remote strobes.

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=81053 time=1531801744 user_id=3956]

Yea… have you guys ever come across a system with pulls or smokes but no NAs?

[/quote]

I see systems (generally smaller security/fire combos) with just smoke or heat detectors all the time, usually System Sensor or Edwards devices. I can think of one or two systems like that where there’s also a pull station mounted near the panel, but with no notification appliances. Usually in these cases I assume it’s a 120VAC system and that has either residential smoke detectors or sirens hooked up somewhere that I can’t see.

Mr. C’s Car Wash (Plymouth Township)

Panel/annunciator, detectors: Unknown

Pull stations:

AIP AI270-SPO models behind STI Stopper II covers
One of the old AIP devices was replaced by a Kidde-branded 270-SPO! The official model ID for this device is K-270A-SPO. It’s my first time seeing one of these in person.

Notification appliances:

Wheelock 34T-24 horns
At least one Federal Signal 350 Vibratone horn, mounted on a metal box and connected to an emergency stop button for the automatic car wash section. I believe it also sounds briefly when the automatic car wash components (e.g., heaters, water nozzles) activate.

[quote="Chase Reinhardt" post_id=75125 time=1499546258 user_id=3744]

CO-OP in Rocky Ridge has a Notifier AFP-200 system, with System Sensor SpectrAlert Classic horn/strobes. Pulls are all Notifier MPS-950B.

[/quote]

I was here again, and the system was replaced with a Notifier NFS-320C around September 2017 - June 2018. All horn/strobes and pulls from the AFP-200 are still intact. The horn strobes are System Sensor P1224MC.

A small plaza with a Pet Planet in Royal Oak has a Notifier NFS-320C like the one adjacent to it, with System Sensor P2R horn/strobes. Pulls are Notifier N-MPS-SA.

[quote=randomperson post_id=81059 time=1531827541 user_id=3878] [quote=idontwannaknow post_id=81053 time=1531801744 user_id=3956] Yea... have you guys ever come across a system with pulls or smokes but no NAs?

[/quote]

Yes, but it also had remote strobes.

[/quote]

To be clear, the systems had remote strobes in areas covered by the paging system. Areas not covered by the paging system had speaker/strobes.