Fire Drill Trouble and times where you got to with a drill

The NFPA only provides a set of standards that jurisdictions can choose to adopt or not. NFPA 72 is used almost everywhere in the US in some form, but the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) may have added, modified, or removed certain parts. For example, the city of New York’s fire code is based on NFPA 72, but some of it is radically different from the rest of the country. Temporal code is the standard, but whether it’s enforced as a standard is up to the AHJ. Variances are permitted on a case-by-case basis, for example a hospital system that may call for zone coding. Because the system that ccs46 is talking about is not a new installation, the AHJ won’t really intervene unless major changes are made that require approval. Chances are, no one’s gonna care if it gets changed to slow march time.

Update: So apparently we have to change it back to code 3 because some kid went bizurk and destroyed the schools main data server (Which I have to repair :/) because the march time bothers him. So my dreams are crushed but I leave this school in 3 days for summer break and then I go onto high school. So that’s the kind of things that happen at my school.

Don’t take this the wrong way because I’m just interested in knowing. But how the (insert word of choice here) does a kid get access to the school’s main data server? In all my years of school, the servers are locked in an IT room that isn’t accessible by students. Heck I don’t think I even remember where the IT room was at my high school. My personal opinion is march time isn’t bad at all. I’d prefer it over continuous any day. You really shouldn’t be changing the coding of the fire alarms either if you are. It should stay the same to avoid confusion.

No they called by dad in to change the coding one of the special needs kids had the fit and broke a 4K $ computer :S But I have saved our schools servers more than once before, from viruses to outages. But I’m not quite sure why slow march time bothers him. Continuous I can understand and 120 BPM as well but slow march time I have no idea. The principal said that he gets upset a lot and now hes been expelled,I kinda feel bad for him. Some of my friends joked to my dad and said said to put it on continuous to piss the kid off even more, first off that’s mean and second I would probably have to repair more computers if he gets that upset. XD

So how exactly does the computer system affect the fire alarm system coding…?
This story seems pretty far-fetched.

No the kid got mad and destroyed the nearby server. It had nothing to do with the alarm system it was just close to him.

Seems pretty odd that they would have you repair a server…

So this several thousand dollar server was just sitting out in the open waiting for some kid to tamper with or attack it?

Logic…

The point I’m trying to make is that the whole story seems rather unrealistic.

Rather fake…

I find it odd that your school send you (as a student) to fix a server…

Don’t get me wrong, I fix things at my school all the time, such as: clean the lens on document projectors, fix projector (replace bulbs, clean filters, wire the video splitters and cables), fix basic computer problems (slowness, program not opening), and basic internet problems (slow, bad or no connection, running new internet lines from the servers to new computers), but I rarely ever get access to any school server, and they are always locked down in steel cabinets and locked 24/7 unless being worked on.

My question is, why would a school district leave a 4,000 dollar computer, just sitting out in the open, assessable to the public, without putting a physical lock on it or putting it in a server rack. Further more, doesn’t your school district have an IT department (and a firewall) to keep servers from going out or viruses from infecting the system…

Just saying, the story doesn’t add up for me. I am not calling you a liar, I am just wondering about the choices your school or school district makes… :?:

There are kids at my school who downloaded viruses in programs but school has fixed it so no more viruses. And the guy was working on it and had left the door open on his lunch break.

And yet you continue to dig yourself a deeper hole.

Sounds like your school needs to filter their downloads, implement a firewall, and hire maintenance people who don’t forget to leave doors to restricted areas open and unlocked… :wink:

I still question parts of this story though, just because it seems to be the perfect recipe for this to happen… :expressionless:

You noticed that too… I question everything about this story, from start to finish… :expressionless:

True lol. Theirs still like five more questions still unanswered dwindling around.

I agree. I still don’t understand why they would let you fix the server, or any of this story… like even if the door was open how did the kid manage to get inside the room? At my former high school these kids were watched by EAs 24/7. Plus why are you fixing the server, if you guys should have IT techs for the school and the school board? Finally why did your dad’s company get hired to fix the system? Usually contracts to the FA system are maintained by the school board not the school. I mean I don’t believe Simplex is that expensive that only your school would switch to your dads company… In my city all the schools systems are monitored and maintained by one company. This all just makes the slightest sense to me.

I agree with EdwardsFan 100%, and this story bugs me mostly because of the fact that your dad just happens to work at your school, when 99.9% of schools in the United States (like mine) either have there own alarm techs who work on the alarm systems, and/or have a service contract with the company that installed the panel (Simplex, EST, etc.). I have never seen a school district have one random company do just one of there schools. It usually more than one, or district wide

I find it especially disgusting that you used a stereotype of a special needs child to base your fake story off of and then you took it a step further by putting words into your principals mouth about this child. Seriously dude, have some respect for those kids.