Fire Drills, Severe Weather Drills, Lockdowns for the 2016-2017 School year

I live in Florida too, and my middle school does one a month. We had a Real Alarm on the 3rd Day of March. A/C Tech set the AC on fire. :roll:

The closest I got to a severe weather drill is when one of the campuses at my college (not my campus) had a roof collapse.

This is off-topic, but why do you Rick roll us in your signature?

Anyways onto fire drills, my school had fire drills on:
December 22, 2016 (3rd period…snow and ice and kids were slipping and falling).
January 25, 2017 (it was raining during this one)(5th period)
February 21, 2017 (2nd period)…it was cold out but in the 50’s so no rain or snow in this one.

We had an ALICE training scenario (armed intruder scenario…Lockdown) in early-mid January

We had a tornado drill on March 2nd, a day after we had a tornado warning in my area on Wednesday March 1st…at 5:45 in the morning!!!

In high school, we called our lockdown drills Dr. Bacon. :slight_smile:

What? What’s that supposed to mean?
We just call them a lockdown. lol

No, you said you called your lockdowns ALICE

Yeah my school just says: Secure the Building, ALICE Procedures are in effect.

That’s an acronym that officials (but also applies to students in some regard) use to describe an active shooter event. It stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate.

Basically like Run, Hide, Fight (except that measure only can be used during a lockdown, not before or after the actual event).

The evacuate obviously means if you’re right near an exit and not in the proximity of the intruder to make a quick exit from the building. In most cases though, you’d just stay where you are until the police come and secure the building, then the police would clear the building one classroom or area at a time.

So ALICE is a lockdown drill then unless you have to fight. We called ours Dr. Bacon because that is what they announced over the intercom to initiate it.

Yeah, pretty much. I go to a school that’s from the 50’s, so back then safety was not as much of a priority as it is today.

Today while I was at Anime Boston with a friend, the fire alarm suddenly started going off! The Hynes Convention Center, where the con is held at, has an EST-3 voice-evac system with Genesis speaker/strobes, and is set to do the truck backup-style Code-3 tone and a female voice message. When the alarms began to sound and we started to evacuate, a male voice suddenly came on the alarm speaker/strobes saying that they were just testing the system, so at least we didn’t have to evacuate into the miserable weather outside. This also marks a rare instance where I hear a voice-evac system going off in real life that ISN’T a Simplex system!
Got a video of it in action, too…

(And yes, that’s me cosplaying as the Big Bad Wolf at the end for the con.)

1 Like

Hey my sisters are at Anime Boston! Maybe they got caught in it.