Fire, Inclement Weather, Lockdown, and Other Disaster Prevention Drills for the 2018-2019 School Year

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=81616 time=1536728077 user_id=18]

You know if that one wing has to still go out that one door, eventually there is gonna be a bottleneck that happens.

[/quote]

Well five of our emergency exits are quite literally sealed off…just outside the doors are 10-11ft High chain link fences that say “DANGER: Construction Area”. I mean personally if there was a fire I’d just go out that door and then figure out how to climb over the fence or if I’m on the first floor I’d probably just squeeze out of our tiny windows…

And once you climbed over them, you would have to figure out how to avoid getting injured in the construction zone.

Fire Drill | September 14th, 2018 | 2:15 PM

Here’s an interesting one for y’all. I’m not even sure if I can technically count this as a true “fire drill” for me since I wasn’t technically in school at the time. In any case, because half of my school essentially burned down over the summer we’re running on a split online/in-person schedule with our classes for the next few months, so 9/10 grades are in school one day, 11/12 the next, etc. Since yesterday wasn’t my day to be in school I usually wouldn’t have shown up, but I had to catch the bus to a cross-country meet. As I was waiting outside for the bus to load, our coach came out and told us all to move away from the building as there was going to be a fire drill. Sure enough, like two minutes later I hear the familiar CHEEP! of the NS’s and Exceders and people start to file out. That said, I had it pretty easy compared to the rest of the school down near where the fire took place. Apparently a bunch of zones on the panel were either damaged in the fire or disabled and entire sections of the school didn’t have any notification devices activate, not sure whether those sections were occupied though. There was also the issue (similar to the drill posted above) with exits, since nearly all the exits in the midsection of the school are still blocked off or nonexistent.

Misc. Items:
For the first time ever, I heard the lone SpectrAlert Advance in the building activate (it wasn’t synced with any of the Wheelock devices).

I’m thinking that because of the split schedule that we might have another drill today at the same time for the 11/12 graders, but I’ll keep ya posted.

COllege drill with 2001 model year TrueAlerts and a mystery alarm. Not synced and code 3.

That must have been fun to go through with them blaring as loud as possible and not synced together.

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=81647 time=1536984916 user_id=18]

That must have been fun to go through with them blaring as loud as possible and not synced together.

[/quote]

It was, trust me. Especially when the panel wouldn’t cancel for 2 minutes.

Just recovered the eight evacuation video. It’s posted in my topic in UCFAM.

[quote=EpicFireAlarms post_id=81636 time=1536924249 user_id=3400]

Fire Drill | September 14th, 2018 | 2:15 PM

Here’s an interesting one for y’all. I’m not even sure if I can technically count this as a true “fire drill” for me since I wasn’t technically in school at the time. In any case, because half of my school essentially burned down over the summer we’re running on a split online/in-person schedule with our classes for the next few months, so 9/10 grades are in school one day, 11/12 the next, etc. Since yesterday wasn’t my day to be in school I usually wouldn’t have shown up, but I had to catch the bus to a cross-country meet. As I was waiting outside for the bus to load, our coach came out and told us all to move away from the building as there was going to be a fire drill. Sure enough, like two minutes later I hear the familiar CHEEP! of the NS’s and Exceders and people start to file out. That said, I had it pretty easy compared to the rest of the school down near where the fire took place. Apparently a bunch of zones on the panel were either damaged in the fire or disabled and entire sections of the school didn’t have any notification devices activate, not sure whether those sections were occupied though. There was also the issue (similar to the drill posted above) with exits, since nearly all the exits in the midsection of the school are still blocked off or nonexistent.

Misc. Items:
For the first time ever, I heard the lone SpectrAlert Advance in the building activate (it wasn’t synced with any of the Wheelock devices).

I’m thinking that because of the split schedule that we might have another drill today at the same time for the 11/12 graders, but I’ll keep ya posted.

[/quote]

When did your school burn down? Was it in the areas that got renovated? Why did it burn down? What kind of system do they have? Sorry for all the questions lol

Over in Rider’s Hill Hall something got triggered. Alarm models are in the description.
[YouTube]9z8KwvmieJU[/YouTube]

[quote=firefreak57 post_id=81717 time=1537572123 user_id=3667]

When did your school burn down? Was it in the areas that got renovated? Why did it burn down? What kind of system do they have? Sorry for all the questions lol

[/quote]

In mid July, workers were replacing some flooring in a classroom and doing some HVAC work in our LA wing and accidentally left a fan running in the drop ceiling, causing it to catch fire. “Burned down” was a pretty bad way to put it, because the structure is still standing but it’s totally gutted down to the studs. In any case, the fire itself damaged several classrooms and smoke damage put about 50 or so classrooms out of commission for varying times depending on the extent of the damage. In fact, next week we’ll be getting our first 20 or so repaired classrooms back.

No, the fire didn’t damage the renovated wing of my school. My school is essentially split into three wings (usually referred to as A, B, and C wing), with each wing being split into three smaller wings by classroom number (1XX-9XX). For example, A wing houses the 100-300 classrooms, B wing houses the 400-600 classrooms, and C wing houses the 700-900 classrooms. There are two long hallways that run the length of the school, with a ton of smaller hallways branching off. The fire itself only damaged a few 600 classrooms in the B wing, but smoke damage resulted in all of the 400 and 500 classrooms needing repairs, along with a few 300 and 700 classrooms. For the most part, however, the 100, 200, 300, 700, 800, 900, and as of next week the 400 classrooms are fully usable. As for the hallways, only one temporary hallway in the west wing of the school is open running the length of the school, which causes all kinds of congestion issues when you have like 800 kids (and as of next week, 1,500!) all using one hallway. The east hallway, 500 classrooms, and 600 classrooms aren’t going to be occupiable until next May.

My school has an addressable Notifier system (I still don’t know the panel) with mostly Wheelock NS’s and Exceders, but also a few AS’s, MT’s, ZNS’s, and two weird “lone wolf” devices; a Simplex 4904-series strobe left over from the old Simplex 4020 system, and the aforementioned SpectrAlert Advance, which must’ve just been a random spot-replacement at some point. While there aren’t any pull stations in the public areas of the school, there’s at least one NBG-12LX in a storage room. There are a few smoke detectors, but not nearly enough given the size of the school. The system was disabled at the time of the fire.

I’m pretty interested to get in to the renovated classrooms to see if they got any devices. Most classrooms at my school don’t have an N/A, but the wing that was renovated last year got ceiling-mount Exceder horn/strobes in areas that previously didn’t have a device. However, the renovations last year didn’t include any classrooms, so we’ll see what happens with these new classrooms.

[YouTube]dZxEXwJ0BQE[/YouTube]
Dorm fire drill yesterday! The best day of the semester! :wink:

I’m still waiting for somebody to be in a dorm that has an actual HORN in it. LOL

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=81817 time=1537996745 user_id=18]

I’m still waiting for somebody to be in a dorm that has an actual HORN in it. LOL

[/quote]

I remember seeing an old video of something like that somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it!

Ok guys.

Apparently during a really severe storm burst yesterday, someone told me that there was a lightning siren going off at my school. The siren is located at the school’s stadium on one of those commentator rooms at the top of the bleachers.

Dunno what model number it is but it’s most likely Federal Signal or maybe even Siemens if they manufacture anything like that.

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=81819 time=1538002006 user_id=3956]

Ok guys.

Apparently during a really severe storm burst yesterday, someone told me that there was a lightning siren going off at my school. The siren is located at the school’s stadium on one of those commentator rooms at the top of the bleachers.

Dunno what model number it is but it’s most likely Federal Signal or maybe even Siemens if they manufacture anything like that.

[/quote]

I’d assume it’d be one of these? - https://www.earthnetworks.com/product/decision-support-collaboration-tools/outdoor-alerting-system/

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=81819 time=1538002006 user_id=3956]

Ok guys.

[/quote]

This is my guess… http://www.thorguard.com/products/

Also, I wonder if you’re near me. We had NASTY storms that took down many many trees in my town, and we had power out for over 15 hours in some areas!

Fire Drill: 9/27/18:

[YouTube]xkAj0Hr9SIw[/YouTube]

I literally just copied and pasted the video description:

So today we had our annual pep assembly, so we were on a special bell schedule, and as a result, our classes were cut about 20 minutes shorter than normal. I had a feeling we would have a fire drill today because our principal said something like “Today’s a good day to review our emergency procedures” this morning, and so by 3rd period and no fire drill, I assumed we were not having one. However, about 10 seconds after the bell rang and we were in passing period, the fire alarms sounded! The Freshmen hallway is in the math wing (which is why you can hear lockers slamming because we were in passing period) where I had just finished my Trigonometry class, and I was talking to my teacher when the fire alarm went off. The person you hear towards the end say “Come on, everybody outside” was our assistant principal.

Due to the construction zone, our old fire exit, the “Breezeway” exit door was blocked as the west side of the building is where all the construction is happening as well as across the street where a new practice field is being built since the new high school will occupy the space where the old practice field was. Due to the construction, we have to walk down the hallway a little bit further and exit out the Cafeteria exit doors. Some kids were already in the Cafeteria because we have lunch during 4th period, and lunch A had just begun since the bell had rang.

Oh how I do remember the administrators saying to review your emergency procedures. That was a very CLEAR indication that we were gonna have a drill.

Yet another one, you can see it in my thread in UCFAM.

Wish my college would have had a ton of fire drills like this.

Before they replaced the 4051s+4050-80s. Oh well. At least I heard a speaker/strobe.