Fire Inspections/Service/Install

Recently my office has decided to let me perform fire inspections. I know what I’m doing for simple fire installations /service with smoke detectors, waterflow, osy, piv etc however I’m not CA Fire and Life Safety certified does that matter? What is the point of a certification? I just want to make sure I’m in compliance. I’ve attempted to search online but I’ve found nothing. Thanks in advance.

Wow no one? I thought that would’ve been an easy one to answer with all the pros on here…

We had a slight issue with the site’s security certificate today, which may have resulted in fewer users (including our techs) logging on. Watching the online stats throughout the day, I noticed a significantly lower number of users online than usual as a result of the issue.

The issue appears to be resolved as of now. You should receive a response within a day or so, hopefully.

I was gonna message you about that but it seems it cleared up.

As for your question, OUTOFORDER. I believe our techs on the board work during the day and come on during the night, so you should have an answer by tomorrow. Also could be due to what Nick said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t help that ALL forums seem to have a lower amount of members online after 2008.

I’m not sure what “CA Fire and Life Safety Certified” means but taking a stab in the dark, I’m going to assume you’re in California and that is a specific licensing requirement for the state of California. You’re best bet is to just call or visit the nearest fire marshal office if you are not finding the information you need online. That way you can get any documentation you need and can directly ask someone questions. You may even be able to apply for certification right then and there and save time. But every jurisdiction is different so someone from California would have to be on here with knowledge of their specific certification process in order to directly answer your question. I end up working in four different states and the common thread is the company you’re working for has to be certified, not necessarily the technician. The only exception to that is the state of Delaware if you want to inspect sprinkler systems - there you have to be NICET level 2 and have what they call a “WBC” which is tied to the individual. NICET you get from NICET (a national organization) after taking tests, proving your work history, etc. The WBC you get directly from the state after taking a test, showing your NICET certification, and paying a fee.

As far as “why”… Personally, I have mixed feelings on certification. It puts a level of proficiency into the industry and keeps everyone honest. But then I can’t help to think someone is making money off it. And when it comes time to re-certify, at least my experiences with NICET, they don’t seem to make it a smooth process. In contrast, Delaware just wants their check and they are happy. Having a certification professionally is good too. Not sure where you are in your career or how happy you are working at the company you work at, but if if it came time to look for a new job having the certification is something good to put on a resume and puts you near the top in the hiring process. If a company is looking to fill a position and 5 people applied, two of them have a certification, the other three get pushed to the side.

But if your jurisdiction requires certification and you are not certified, you need to be careful. You open yourself (and/or your company) up to liability and possible fines. If certification is optional, that’s your call.

with NICET you can pay online now and email your app with the invoice# from the online payment. huge step forward for those guys.

Last time I had to renew I think they just started that option, I didn’t quite trust it and mailed everything in.