Fire, Lockdown, Severe Weather, Tornado, Shelter-in-Place, and other Emergency Drills for the 2019-2020 Academic Year

DRILL DAY!!! (why does my school start so early) We had all three of the main drills today so that was quite fun. Uhh not much to say about the lockdown and tornado drills other than they were boring, and I’m surprised the alarms didn’t go off during the tornado drill. I’m guessing it’s saved for like a real situation. But onto the fire drill!

First of all, the Siemens SETs? Those are some of the most quiet alarms I’ve ever heard in my life, considering these are the first speaker/strobes I’ve ever heard in my life. I understand why they are found in bathrooms and small conference rooms due to the intensity of noise. I expected all the alarms to be louder but they might’ve been on 2 or 4 watts instead (not sure what the default setting for these are but it’s probably 2 or something). The only alarms I heard were ceiling mount so I’m unsure if the wall mount alarms are louder or not, considering they’re uncommon and spaced out a lot more.

I noticed that the weatherproof SETs outside didn’t have their strobes going off but this was the first drill/test these went off so idk. I don’t know if the speakers were sounding though, but i could faintly hear one on the greenhouse roof of the new extension.

For anyone wondering about the voice evac message, it’s the same one as in this video. The code-3 tone loops weirdly so I assume the whole message plus the tones are recorded.

So uhh yeah, fun day… next up: the false alarm and burnt food activations :frowning:

note: all strobes and speakers were in sync which is very satisfying. the previous simplex system? can’t say the same…

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=84827 time=1565818532 user_id=3956]

DRILL DAY!!! (why does my school start so early) We had all three of the main drills today so that was quite fun. Uhh not much to say about the lockdown and tornado drills other than they were boring, and I’m surprised the alarms didn’t go off during the tornado drill. I’m guessing it’s saved for like a real situation. But onto the fire drill!

First of all, the Siemens SETs? Those are some of the most quiet alarms I’ve ever heard in my life, considering these are the first speaker/strobes I’ve ever heard in my life. I understand why they are found in bathrooms and small conference rooms due to the intensity of noise. I expected all the alarms to be louder but they might’ve been on 2 or 4 watts instead (not sure what the default setting for these are but it’s probably 2 or something). The only alarms I heard were ceiling mount so I’m unsure if the wall mount alarms are louder or not, considering they’re uncommon and spaced out a lot more.

I noticed that the weatherproof SETs outside didn’t have their strobes going off but this was the first drill/test these went off so idk. I don’t know if the speakers were sounding though, but i could faintly hear one on the greenhouse roof of the new extension.

For anyone wondering about the voice evac message, it’s the same one as in this video. The code-3 tone loops weirdly so I assume the whole message plus the tones are recorded.

So uhh yeah, fun day… next up: the false alarm and burnt food activations :frowning:

note: all strobes and speakers were in sync which is very satisfying. the previous simplex system? can’t say the same…

[/quote]

I wanna see a YouTube video of that

I didn’t record any videos of this drill.

this ones more of a quickie but a sprinkler malfunctioned in the west building, causing the fire alarm to go off. I wasn’t in that building at that moment but someone came over the intercom telling students and staff to return to the classrooms and such.

[quote=idontwannaknow post_id=84833 time=1565911358 user_id=3956]

this ones more of a quickie but a sprinkler malfunctioned in the west building, causing the fire alarm to go off. I wasn’t in that building at that moment but someone came over the intercom telling students and staff to return to the classrooms and such.

[/quote]

How many false alarms do you usually have a year?

Because of the new system put in place I’m gonna place my bet on at least 5 false alarms. They do drill/test in the spring but I’m not counting that. I remember sophomore year where the fire alarms went off almost every day in the first few weeks of school, but that was the other building, therefore a different system. A lot of smoke detectors were upgraded that year… I wonder why.

Well, school in my area starts September 9th.

The schools that I went to during my time in the education system over here all start on the 28th of August which is weird for me even though it has been like this since I started high school in 2006 because I remember way back a long time ago when I was in elementary school that the school year often started near the end of the first week in September. LOL Oh how times have changed.

My college had a fire drill in the science building today! We were all sitting doing stuff with acid and then suddenly the Simplex 2901-9838+4903-9105 Horn/strobe plates started to sound. Our class just has a remote strobe that matches the rest of the system alarms. Evacuation was good. The horns are also healthy.

I’m hoping that evacuation is good because everybody is in college and they should all know better.

Yep! Very true. The school is good with evac!

First one of the year…

1 Like

Okay, school in my area starts tomorrow!

Thats lucky that you get to start a bit late! Hope you are able to post what sort of drills the district has!

We had a fire drill at my school on Friday. The principal is new and has never heard the sound of the fire alarm system, I told her it wasn’t loud a day before the drill happened. I asked her what she thinks of the fire alarm after the drill was over and she says “it’s just right, it’s not too loud and it’s not too quiet”.

Note: The system is an EST3 voice evac system with slow whoop and the default EST3 message.

Yesterday we had what I’m assuming was our first fire drill of the year. There was some confusion, as some teachers thought it was suppposed to happen on Monday, and the fire department also showed up in full force, but I think it was still a drill. It took them a while to reset the system for whatever reason, so we all went back in while the system was on audible silence. Since renovations on the school are basically done, the Siemens MXL-IQ system has been completely replaced with the Simplex 4100ES. Interestingly, all alarms have been replaced with Truealert ES speakers with the expection of some Siemens rebranded Wheelock AS’s in the courtyard. I don’t know if they’re hooked up or not. Fire drills are definitly a lot quieter now compared to when we had UMMT’s, which I don’t really miss.

Fire drills are generally a lot more quieter when you switch from horns to speakers. LOL

While TFP was down…
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2m0F39hiwo/

Hey guys! I know I haven’t been posting much of anything lately, but here y’all go.

[YouTube]GHna-tEt2HY[/YouTube]

Was wondering when we were gonna see another video again. Still reminds me a lot of high school. :wink: