FlashScan Polling Red?

Recently went to a pizza place. Had a notifier addressable system with NBG12-LX’s and L-Series Ceiling mount horn strobes. while I was waiting in line the LED inside of the NBG12-LX caught my eye. The LED was polling very fast (Like FlashScan) but the LED inside of the device was red. The device was polling like the one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2K4auP-SY, except the device was flashing red, and even faster. This leads me to believe that FlashScan protocol can poll red? If anyone has any idea as to what is going on here, I would love to know

Based on the manual, a red blinking NBG-12LX means it’s running on CLIP mode, not FlashScan.

The reason it’s flashing so fast is probably because there aren’t many devices connected to the panel. Modules also tend to flash much faster than detectors since there’s less data being communicated. When I have just one Notifier addressable pull on my panel, the LED is nearly solid since it polls so fast.

It’s possible this is a Notifier FireWarden system, which technically uses FireLite’s LiteSpeed protocol. LiteSpeed devices don’t poll green, unlike FlashScan devices.

2 Likes

I believe that either of those answers may be true, because my best guess would be that the devices are on a NFW system, and the only devices that I can see are two pull stations and a monitor module for the sprinklers.

Thanks for the feedback!

No problem! My office has a NFW system: SpectrAlert Advances, NBG-12LXs (they poll red), NP-100s near the elevator shaft, and I remember seeing an N-ANN-80 somewhere. Most of the building is sprinklered so there aren’t a lot of detectors.

Seems interesting. It can’t be CLIP if it’s polling that fast like you described. My hypothesis is that this is a FireWarden system. These are just basically rebranded Fire-Lite devices since they are also owned by Honeywell, the addressable panels are more like the ES series and they use the same software and protocol etc. Since they use the same protocol, these pull stations poll red because LiteSpeed also polls red.

1 Like

The non EX firewardens polled red if I remember correctly. The new EX panels poll green.

What other devices are on the system? Like notification appliances? The more devices there are on a CLIP system, the slower it polls. If it has older notification appliances, it could be an old Notifier system, like an AFP-100 (198-point).

This is an extremely new building, with L-Series ceiling mount horn strobes

I remember a system that was very similar with L-series (Xenon strobes) and had a Gamewell-FCI BG-12LX near the exterior doors that was flashing red in a new MOD Pizza building that just opened up back in November. It is a small building with it’s own system so I think it’s able to communicate faster without much on the system.

Oh ok. It’s probably a FireWarden system like many have said.

maybe. in europe, our flashscan equavilent (opal) can change poll colour. most of the time it is red or green but can be amber (amber isnt compliant as it shows a faulty a disable detector) also if the device is diabled or faulty the led turns yellow. opal