Forum approved fire (and other life saftey) codes

awesome, thanks. it would be nice to see a firefighter’s opinion on stuff too.

it’s up now, just so you know.

I myself am not a firefighter, but I have knowledge of operations (I have family in firefighting.) I have asked them plenty of questions regarding alarm systems and such. Not sure if there are any career FF’s on here.

From my family members who are firefighters that I talked with, the main thing they hate is when the FACP is not easily accessible, (e.g. Objects Blocking, Behind a Locked Door.) They also do not like when they can’t access the panel or reset an initiating device. (Keys not accessible by FF’s.) In my state FF’s can reset FACPs, everywhere else differs.

see, i just dislike annunciators that are always unlocked.

I wish buildings would use a system similar to a Knox Box for keys. Knox Box’s are a device FF’s can use to gain entry into a building, they have a special key or code, which unlocks a small safe which holds the keys. If these could also be installed near an annunciator or a FACP, it would help greatly.

in all of my travelling, they usually are.

One thing that the NFPA mentions but has really been a bother is that smoke detectors in houses especially bedrooms never produce a low frequency sound of 520Hz as required by the NFPA for sleeping areas in buildings yet most smoke detectors only sound at 3150Hz which has been proven to not wake up certain kind of people such as children and elderly which is one of the main purposes of the smoke detctor. Low frequency sounds will work much better and wake up people much faster.

1 Like

if you alarms are synced, you can intercept the 9v piezo line, connect it to be the switcher circuit in an SPST relay, and run 24v through it to power a low frequency sounder.

i advise you not to put a lower limit for your sleeping area code. the edwards integrity is 225 hz, if i remember correctly. mechanical horns may also dip below that range.

1 Like