Help with panels what's a good first panel

I need the firepanels help finding an cheap under 150 dollar panel including shipping. The DIY frendly panel form doesn’t have enough details for me. Just look on ebay only.

Thanks,
Caleb

Well, I suppose I could give you a few details on some panels. Keep in mind, you’re not gonna find a lot under $150 unless you’re lucky. It happens, but not very often.

I would recommend conventional panels first. They are zone based and any conventional device save for certain two-wire smoke detectors will work on a conventional system.

The Fire-Lite MS-2 is a two-zone, one-NAC conventional panel that has two initiating device circuit and one signal circuit. That means you’ll either have to use two-wire signals or wire your four-wire signal in parallel. It puts out Full Wave Rectified current, which will destroy all newer Simplex signals. Remember, Rectified will wreck your Simplex stuff. These run for about $100-$150 used, before shipping.

The MS-4 is similar to the MS-2 but it adds two additional zones and an additional NAC. It still puts out FWR, so be careful. Programming on the MS-2 and MS-4 are both done via DIP switches on the panel’s main board. These usually run for more, about $150-$200.

The MS-5UD is more complex. It has five zones, four NACs, and is programmed either via the front keypad (menu-based) or RS-232 port (with PSTools software.) The standard model puts out FWR but the MS-5UD7 has a more powerful 7-amp power supply that puts out Filtered DC. These run for around $200-$250.

I wouldn’t recommend addressable panels for a first panel if you don’t absolutely know what you’re doing.

Keep in mind that I am not a tech, I do not claim to be a tech, nor do I own any panels. I just know about them. Take either Andrew’s or Destin’s advice over mine. They know way more than I do.

Netscape’s advice is solid. I’d also recommend reading <URL url="So you want to buy a FACP...]So You Want to Buy a FACP[/url] if you haven’t already.