High pitched ringing coming from alarm

I recently got my first fire alarm and i wired it up. it’s a speaker strobe so i only got the strobe to work. whenever i turned it on, something makes a high pitched ringing before the strobe flashes.

Fire Alarm: SPSRL
Strobe Setting: 15cd

That’s probably just the capacitor charging up. Some strobes tend to be a bit whiny

so it’s kind of going in a random pattern of making the noise and not.

Almost like:

1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0

1: Noise
0: No noise

Is that normal too?

That doesn’t quite make sense. Could you send a video?

It’s not letting me upload any videos so i’m just gonna try to explain.

Whenever I turn it on, it makes a noise before flashing, then flashes. Before it flashes again, it makes that same noise.

but sometimes before it flashes, it doesn’t make the noise.

and it does this at random.

It started doing this recently, but it might be the cap charging.

You should make a private YouTube video about it. I can’t think of anything besides the cap charging. An audio clip would help me figure out if it’s not

It’s probably fine but if it continues to get worse it may mean that the strobe is starting to die.

This is a normal condition. Strobe circuitry, including the main capacitor responsible for charging up the massive voltage a strobe requires for operation, will make a noise.

The Spectralert L-series, which is what your SPSRL is, is known to have a rather loud strobe circuit. Many other notification appliance lines by other makes and models also have similarly loud strobe circuits.

Welcome to the forums!