How many NAC extenders can be connected in a single Fire Alarm panel?

Hi, I am new in this forum. Irrespective of any brand, how many NAC extenders can be connected to a single panel?!! Is there any limit?!
I also need to know about certain reference regarding connecting a NAC extender from SLC. Most common practice is connecting the NAC extender from the NAC of FACP. But is it allowed to connect NAC extender through SLC of FACP or there are restrictions? If there is a restriction, can anybody suggest me the exact NFPA code reference?!

1 Like

Moved to Fire Alarm Help

As far as I’m aware there is no limit, pretty sure the stuff just needs to be synced and it’ll be good.

The limit is whatever amperage the main circuit is listed for. Considering power supplies use next to no power, the theoretical limit is quite high.

Simplex IDNet NAC extenders are obviously limited to the amount of IDNet addresses available.

1 Like

Ferb, I know what we’re gonna do today…

1 Like

I can’t wait to see what happens also, I love that you threw in the Phineas and Ferb quote.

The only thing you really need to consider is how many SLC points can your panel provide, and how many initiating devices do you have versus point availability for control modules.

These days, the way that these NAC panels are controlled, at least from what I understand in primarily Honeywell systems, is that the trigger circuit to the NAC panel is wired to the output of a control module, which itself is connected to the SLC. Program that control module to activate when an alarm condition comes in, and the NAC panel will power all the signals hooked up to it. So, in the case of the Honeywell FCPS-24, you have four NACs that take up one SLC point.

On a small addressable panel, like the ES-50X, that takes up one point. You now have 49 points left, so you had better make sure you don’t have more than 49 other addressable devices!

I’ve also seen some expandable panels dedicate an entire SLC expansion board to use up all of its points on NAC panels.

which is also not that small of a limit considering how many 250 pt idnet cards you can add to a 3 bay 4100u/es

1 Like