Introduce Yourself

Just to clear something up…

I have been a fire alarm enthusiast for a long time, starting with that one fire drill that startled me to death, to the point where I really got used to the alarms, and starting to know more about the alarms, and that was really a long time ago. My first favorite fire alarm system was none other than the Notifier system, then my second favorite was Faraday and finally, Edwards/EST.

Anyways, I got a lot of interests/hobbies, like music, drawing, art, highways and interstates, watching TV shows, and of course, daytime soap operas! Other than fascinations with fire alarms, I am fascinated with retail stores, bands that I have listened to, the beauty of aesthetics, and so much more stuff that I couldn’t even think of in my mind!

I have yet to own a fire alarm, but when I ever have one, it will be either Edwards, Notifier, Faraday, Radionics, or heck, even A*T (ADT), Simplex, Ademco, Fire-Lite, or FCI!

I have not introduced myself yet.

I am Nik VanWagner. I own no panels yet but am in the process of building one from some old parts. My fascination in fire alarm devices began several years ago when I followed Koorsen Fire & Safety around a conference center to test their EST Quick-start system. Since then I have seen many different systems. I am also a train, siren, telephone, airplane, and band instrument enthusiast. My favorite fire alarm moment was when I was in 7th grade. I had just mentioned that we were due to have a fire drill soon to a friend at lunch, and then all the Genesis devices in the building sounded for a drill! I thought I was psychic or something.

I don’t own any commercial alarms, however I am the owner of numerous smoke detectors that are commonly found on residential houses. I’m thinking of buying a BG-12 and an EST Integrity off of Ebay.

-Nik VanWagner
Just Plain Weird Goat | WhelenSirenFan

Hi,

I am Rick and new the forum here but not new to Fire Alarms. I have a two year degree in electronics and began work as an installing tech for Motorola. After working there for a few years , I went to Simplex for 5 years and then went to another company that installs and services fire alarms. I have experience and factory training with some of the older Simplex panels, 4208, 2001, etc. Also have factory training with some of the older Notifier panels, Afp, 200, 400, 640, 320 etc. I have a great deal of experience with Faraday MPC200 panels also.

I like to ride motorcycles, work on the farm, go to music festivals and travel. Glad to be here!

My name is John. I’m 81 years old, senior in high, while attending dual enrollment courses at a community colleges, and hoping for a summer internship.
I love to cook, write, contra dance, and explore doing new things. I became interested in fire alarm for a peculiar reason. My elementary school had a simplex 4100 I believe voice system from 1991 when the current building was built, and it played the slow whoop I hated. But then I started watching fire alarm videos after I left, became somewhat desensitized, and now especially enjoy vintage fire alarm systems. I look forward to learning a lot and maybe actually get good at wiring and computers ( I suck at computer programming.)

Welcome to the forum johnrobert1! You must be the oldest member we ever had on the forum, being 81 years old. :smiley:

[quote="Simplex 4051" post_id=83380 time=1553805693 user_id=18]

Welcome to the forum johnrobert1! You must be the oldest member we ever had on the forum, being 81 years old. :smiley:

[/quote]

He meant 18 years old.

I know exactly what he meant. I was just joking when I said that.

I signed up a while ago and never got around to posting on the forums until now. My name is Andy Bishop but I go by firealarm1045 on this forums. I got my first fire alarm in spring 2010 and over the decade, I got around 30 fire alarms in my collection. I am a high school student, soon to be college student. I am actively looking for a control panel so I could set up a hobby system. I love learning about fire alarms and that The Fire Panel is a great resource for help on what fire alarms would work where. I may make a video showcasing my collection soon.

Well welcome to the forum then! We are glad to have you here! I hope that that you will be able to make that video about your collection soon! We need some new members coming here.

Hello, I am new to the forum, my name is Alexander Luna and I am a junior electronics technician, I’m from Perú and I work in a company providing panels against fire, I don’t have a YouTube channel.

Welcome to the forum! I am sure that you will have a wonderful time here!

Hi,
My name is Ethan. A junior in HS soon to be Senior. I am interested in coding of fire alarms and how such small pieces of equipment make that loud of a noise. It may seem weird, but I am a bit more interested in My schools 2 telecor XL systems and Commercial aviation. Fire alarms are still up there. I decided to join as I was searching for forums about school bell systems. I also do morning announcements so I get to know a bit more about the systems and how they are linked. I planning on getting a fire alarm setup soon and really want a telecor xl. Moderators. Do I have the ability to post in the School Bell/Pa system thread? Once I find out thats where I’ll primary be but I’ll definitely try to talk in other threads. I can’t wait to talk with you.
Ethan

[quote=Ejssx2003 post_id=86612 time=1585237256 user_id=6010]

Hi,
Moderators. Do I have the ability to post in the School Bell/Pa system thread? Once I find out thats where I’ll primary be but I’ll definitely try to talk in other threads. I can’t wait to talk with you.
Ethan
[/quote]

Welcome to the forums Ethan. Yes, you can post in the school bell and intercom thread.

You can post in any thread that you think you can contribute to. With that, welcome to the forum!

Hello!

My name’s Quinn. I am 19 years old and am currently pursing an electrical apprenticeship.

I actually found the Fire Panel Forums way back in 2012/2013 when I was a wee lad just starting out my interests/collection. I briefly had an account and participated but long since lost my login and original email; glad to see the forum’s still kicking! In any case, my interests started back in grade school. I found an interest in alarms and alarm systems when trying to mitigate my fear of fire drills, and I guess I’ve been hooked since. I’ve always had a knack for old-school mechanical horns, as you can tell by my username, and the first alarm to make it into my collection was the Simplex 4040. My fascination in alarms spiraled into interests in the electrical field and as I mentioned earlier, I am currently in the works of becoming an electrical apprentice for commericial applications. As soon as I become a journeyman, I have plans to eventually open my own electrical business.

Outside of this small side hobby, I am a gigantic car enthusiast and am currently getting my project car up to snuff with a motor overhaul. I also enjoy being outdoors and spend a lot of time playing guitar with my good buddy in our small-time band.

Glad to be back!

[quote=VibratoneKing post_id=86886 time=1587016041 user_id=6061]

Hello!

My name’s Quinn. I am 19 years old and am currently pursing an electrical apprenticeship.

[/quote]

Glad you’re back! :slight_smile:

Greetings to the forum:

I am an 18 year old electronics hobbyist and fire alarms have always been part of my interest in electrical and electronics systems. My main hobby has always centered around the preservation and restoration of antique radios, television sets, and other vacuum tube based equipment such as test gear. I have a small shop area set up with all my test equipment, such as a few tube testers, an oscilloscope (Tektronix 466), Heathkit audio generator/oscillator, high voltage DC power supply, RF signal generator, multimeters, volt meters, capacitor leakage tester and capacitance analyzer, etc., and things like that. I have an extensive electrical background ranging from automotive ignition systems to residential electrical and low voltage systems. I also have the knowledge of many things such as all sorts of old equipment, industrial electric and power distribution, how various types of radio receivers work, electric motors, fire alarm panels, and things like that. As a side interest, I also like antique telephones such as ones made by Western Electric and the oldest piece in my collection of electrical devices is a 1903 magneto wall phone, aside from my 1920’s model T ignition coil and 1920’s or 30’s Leeds and Northrup potentiometer/galvanometer. I also enjoy welding, metalworking, woodworking, and farming and things like that.

I consider myself a very outgoing and kind guy, and I always do my best to do anything I can to be there for people and things like that.

Anyways, enough about that and onto fire alarms. Fire alarms have always been something I’ve been interested in as it connects to low voltage systems and it’s just simple for me to understand. I’ve wanted to get a lot more into them but never had the access to getting Simplex devices or a panel or anything like that really due to my parents not having much money to spend on that stuff and the fact that I’ve been unable to get a job yet due to not having a vehicle (one car household), but hopefully I will get one soon. I currently have a FireLite MS9200 panel set up with a small system I put together that I was able to afford off of eBay for a great price. It’s in good shape but needs a new LCD display and a new piezo.

I’ve always loved Simplex equipment, right down to the history of the company starting out making time recorders and time clock systems before buying out IBM’s fire division. I have knowledge on pretty much all of their equipment, down to the really old 4208 relay controlled panels up to their current panels and products. I’ve been trying to have a little collection of their equipment in addition to making a Simplex system. I actually am going to be getting a Simplex 4001 panel in really nice condition along with some pull stations, smoke detectors, and devices from someone I know in a week or so. It’s more rare I think in that it has the black and white door with red lettering for the “disconnect power before servicing” label. I am also going to be getting a Simplex 4005 panel that was pulled from a building. The tech offered to send it to me which was very generous of him as I’ve always wanted a 4005 or 4004. I’m eventually looking to also acquire a 4004 if I can find one. I may or may not need someone’s help here in the coming weeks with the level 4 code for the 4005 depending on if it was changed or not. We both don’t know that and I won’t know until I receive it.

If all goes well, I will probably swap out the MS9200 for the 4005 as I prefer Simplex myself. I will be making a mini demo system out of the 4001 or may make it into a bigger system yet, time will tell. I am happy to be saving these panels and some devices as they are part of Simplex’s history. I am still looking to acquire devices in the future.

I plan to hopefully get my foot in the door somewhere in the next few months or at least not until things start reopening. I would like to work for JCI/Simplex starting out as an inspector or helper or whatnot. I feel like I’d have a pretty good lead given my electronics knowledge and electrical theory. Depending on where things go, I hope to eventually become a tech in the fire alarm industry and get my NICET certifications. My other options I’ve considered is going to a trade school to become an electrician or low voltage electrician or become a welder. My other is to join a local union (I know a few people who came in from the IBEW to talk to our senior vocational automotive class (which I’m a part of) before things closed down including a younger member who graduated a few years before and they were both VERY impressed by me and my knowledge and said that I knew more about power distribution theory than the guys they worked with) which I found to be a kind and rewarding thing to say.

My apologies for the lengthy introductory post, but I figured I would do a proper introduction. I hope everyone on the forum has a stress free and enjoyable day and thank you to everyone on the forum who help to keep it the nice place that it is, as well as the users who keep the hobby alive and the arc lit.

~SimplySimplex

My name is Lawrence. I am 23 and attending the University of Houston-Victoria in Katy to pursue a career in Computer Science. I have been interested in fire alarms for a long time, though when I was younger I was more interested in not sitting near them in class. I never actually collected any alarms but I hope I can learn more about them other than watching YouTube videos.

Hi! I’m new to the community. I’m a DIYer and I hope this forum will be insightful for me. Thanks for letting me in.

[quote=miketom post_id=87579 time=1598526244 user_id=6235]

Hi! I’m new to the community. I’m a DIYer and I hope this forum will be insightful for me. Thanks for letting me in.

[/quote]

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay with us. :slight_smile: