Is this a rare device?

IMG_2197
This is a red ceiling mount conventional Simplex TrueAlert speaker strobe. I have seen tons of them in white but have never seen them in red. This is a new elementary school in my district that is set to open in a couple weeks. They just posted new pictures online and saw this in one of the classrooms. I am guessing that the system is a Simplex 4007es with a 4003EC.

Depends on what area you live in, for example, Siemens systems are rare in Arizona, but in Washington that is pretty much what everyone uses. I personally have seen that device numerous times.

1 Like

Yeah I have seen the white version a lot but have never seen the red version. I didn’t even know it existed before this. My area has mostly Siemens and Simplex systems but some other brands like Firelite or Potter too.

I also can not find any information or pictures on the red version anywhere online.

Huh, never seen one of those in red. I’m assuming that they’re rare for right now since they’re fairly new (as well as that they’re for non-addressable Simplex systems since TrueAlertES ceiling speaker/strobes are made exclusively for use with their addressable ES-series panels).

Could be a 4007ES + 4003/4003EC combo, but a voice-capable 4100ES is more likely (especially with Johnson Controls’ love of “overdesigning” systems for smaller buildings).

The reason that I think it might be a 4007es+4003ec combo is because of the use of conventional speakers which the 4003ec would need and because all of the other elementary schools in the district (including some bigger ones) have 4007es panels. A 4100es is possible because this is the district’s first elementary school with voice evac but I don’t think they would use conventional speakers on it.

Yeah, one would expect to see TrueAlertES devices used together with an ES-series panel. Who knows honestly: all I know is that that non-ES TrueAlert ceiling-mount speaker/strobe is very rare: heck I’ve never seen one in red!

I have seen the white version a ton in buildings in my area, but have never seen a red one either.

1 Like

I have seen them in some local stores, but that is about it.

Simplex is very common in my area.

In Washington they have a big precence only in the Seattle and Pasco area where their offices are at. Everything outside of the major cities is mainly either a Honeywell brand or Bosch.

My mistake, I meant to type Washington DC, and surrounding areas like Arlington and Alexandria VA, they are popular, mainly Voice Evac.

1 Like

UPDATE:
I found a mention of the red version on the simplex catalog.

The picture is not very clear. Could it be a Simplex 49VO-APPLC addressable ceiling mount strobe?
IMG_0268

These speaker strobes in the hallways could be the ones with the conventional speaker and addressable strobe if that is the case.
I know they are not the fully addressable ones because the strobe is on the bottom.
IMG_0264

The one in the classroom looks more like a red, conventional speaker strobe to me.

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s not a 49VO-APPLC strobe. The one you saw could be the model number in the catalog (if it didn’t say “BLANK”, as in no lettering). I did however find this other catalog that lists that exact model differently:
Visible Notification Appliances with Speaker and Multi-Candela Strobe; Non-Addressable (simplex-fire.com)

Yeah I think it is likely the one in that link.

Dang that’s cool, nice device

UPDATE:
Sorry this is so late.
Today I visited this elementary school because my school band was playing Christmas music for the little kids. I found out that this is actually an Autocall 4100es voice evac system. I was extremely surprised to see the Autocall logo in place of the Simplex one. I have been seeing a lot more Autocall systems in my area lately. The devices that I made this post about in the first place are Autocall Truealert conventional speaker strobes.