is your area polluted with spectralerts?

It seems that most of the newer or newly renovated buildings have that alarm configuration, but I really wouldn’t say that it is polluted, as there is several other systems, like Simplex and even Siemens that are frequent sights.

“Polluted,” huh? You can say that about Brockton MA; there are a number of SpectrAlert Advance installations. They even put them in my old school to replace the first fire alarms I ever heard in my life (Simplex 4051+4050-80 horn/lights) when their old Simplex system was failing. My college even has them in some of the buildings. There’s also a building being renovated near the hobby shop I frequently go to that initially had no fire alarms (except sprinkler bells, I think), but during this renovation they put in a real fire alarm system: a Fire-Lite MS-9200UDLS with, you guessed it, SpectrAlert Advances!

A lot of the newer construction in my city has gone with SpectrAlert devices; I see this most often in retail, office, or restaurant businesses. For examples, Northville Park Place, Livonia Marketplace, Millennium Park, and others tend to use SpectrAlert devices more often than those from Wheelock or National Time, my picks for the next most-common devices. Of course, it would obviously depend on the contractors doing the alarm installations.

Speaking of Wheelock, I’ve seen very little in this state recently that uses them for anything other than EVAC applications. Advances seem to be the main pick for new buildings and nothing else comes close.

I use nothing but System Sensor devices. Simplex, Gentex devices around here are not as common. Mainly Simplex charges way to much for their systems and then have very poor service after install… [REDACTED]. And Gentex just isn’t used very much because they cost more. Fire-Lite and Silent Knight both Honeywell are very common and the only manufactures I use because my volume of work does not allow for me to be a dealer for anybody else. I can do small business, mid to large, and campus wide systems with either brand. I have found that any building that specs a Simplex, Notifier, FCI or other brand name panel will also include Fire-Lite and Silent Knight because they can do the same thing as the other panels.

I want to take a moment to remind everyone that our “Brand Bashing” rule is still in effect. The full text can be viewed here: <URL url="New Rule: Brand Bashing text=“viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7174”>New Rule: Brand Bashing

While it is OK to voice your opinion and provide reasonable criticism of companies and their devices/services, please avoid making rude or derogatory remarks about their employees. We have many experienced technicians here from a variety of companies, let’s be respectful to all of them.

This topic has been handled really well so far in regards to this rule. Let’s continue that. Thank you!

Wait. That’s true then? Simplex installers are people who also install sprinklers?

generally no, but probably depends on the location. there’s a thousand simplex branches and they have some very talented sprinkler fitters and some very talented fire alarm guys, and from what i’ve always been told of simplex is fire and water don’t mix! at smaller branches you might get people moving around though just to keep busy. it’s not uncommon for them to do very little fire alarm work in a city where they do practically all of the sprinkler work, and visa versa.

Ski_Me,

I’ve met with a handful of Simplex Technicians in my area, they are always very respectful and show that they are knowledgeable in their trade. Additionally, one of our exceptionally resourceful Fire Alarm Technicians and fellow Moderator is a former Simplex Technician. As for sprinkler fitters, once again several of our most respected current or former users on these forums are employed in the fire sprinkler trade.

The rule is not intended to turn this forum into a ‘safe space’ by any means, however we do ask that reasonable criticism of companies be supported by facts and experience, and that making unjustified comments about company employees is avoided.

Thank you!

In my area it depends on where you are. Larger office buildings, some older schools, and some newly-constructed schools, as well as medical office buildings typically use Simplex devices. My school (as well as the other schools in the district) have older Simplex systems because they’re older. However, other places such as recently renovated schools tend to have systems overhauled and replaced. In a school in my area which was renovated in 2007, they had whatever the old system was replaced with a Gamewell FCI addressable system and System Sensor P2R’s. In buildings like stores, commercial businesses, restaurants, etc. they tend to have Advances (or no system at all if it’s in restaurants that are smaller).

My area has a hodgepodge of brands floating about, but as far as Fire-Lite, Notifier, Silent Knight, and Gamewell-FCi are concerned, SpectrAlert signals and BG-12 pull stations are the standard. The SpectrAlert Advance line is all I have seen used in new installs by the four previously mentioned since 2008. SpectrAlert Classics aren’t too hard to find, but the Wheelock AS and MT lines were the usual for them before the Advances launched.

Interestingly though, some of our SpectrAlert Advance+BG-12 installations are being ripped out and replaced with Siemens, as our county government and school system have turned over their contracts solely to our veteran Siemens distributor that has carried and installed/maintained Pyr-A-Larm/Pyrotronics/Cerberus Pyrotronics/Siemens since 1968 and had functional systems in some of their locations since the 1970s. An elementary school near me that opened in 2009 and a middle school that opened in 2012, both with Fire-Lite MS-9600UDLS panels running P2R, PC2R, and SR signals with BG-12LX pulls, just had new Siemens Cerberus PRO systems installed in the last month with ZH-MC-R, ZH-MC-CR, and ZR-MC-R signals and HMS-D pulls and I have heard from a friend that works for the schools that there are more new Siemens systems in the works.

Spectralerts and BG-12s are very rare where I live. My city was more dominated by Edwards systems at one point (the 6500 being installed in nearly every building). Now, I see a lot more Mircom and Notifier panels installed, with most of those systems just replacing the old panels, and none of the other devices.

Because Canada has some looser fire alarm horns so of course it would have less Spectras.

I bought a SpectrAlert P2R on eBay over the weekend, it arrived earlier today. I have to say, I was actually somewhat surprised by the quality of the device. The plastic appears durable and the whole thing has a nice weight to it; it seems solid and well designed all around. I’d say its sturdier than even my TrueAlerts and newer Wheelock devices in certain respects.

Even though they’ve kinda “taken” over certain areas, I’d say they certainly aren’t an issue from a quality standpoint.

Agreed. I own a P2RH and I’m impressed by its build quality.

System Sensor is about to update the SpectraLerts to the new L series of devices. The main change is that they have a smaller footprint as well as the fact they have lower current draw. They still use Xenon strobes though, no LED devices as of now. They also allow for field changes to lettering (Fire, Alert, etc…) and the color of the strobe lens.

Patrick

Can’t wait too see them!

Seems like that could be an issue… The lenses could break and fall off or that some buffoon would take one of them…

Like that one kid from the first Make Up a System thread?

I am guessing the lens will snap through and will be difficult to remove without a tool or a clip inside. Ex. Spectra classic’s mounting bracket clip or a 400 series smoke’s locking tab