Keep Simplex, or move to (some other vendor)?

I will make a quick comment on the Edwards product line. IO Series is still available however, the EST 3 product line is being shut down. Per Edwards no new installations for the 3 series is to be installed after 2023. They will support the product line for additional 3 years. After that the system will need to be upgraded to the EST-4 which is a cpu and power supply change only for none voice systems.

What? All I heard was that the EST3 was being discontinued, not its slightly-bigger brother the EST3X. Is it going away as well?

I would have to verify the 3x but from my understanding the entire 3 line which would include the 3x.

I just check it stats the EST3 platform which the EST3X is a part of. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

By that they might mean just the EST3: I can’t seem to find anything via Google on the EST3X being discontinued as well.

On another note the page for the EST3 is still on the Edwards website even though production stopped right at the end of last year (unless they’re waiting until support for it ends to remove the page).

Correct we can still buy replacement parts for another 3 years for repairs and such. If the cpu or power supply goes out it is rather easy to upgrade to the 4 as long as it is not a audio system or multi noded system

This is a valid question. The 4005 is a conventional panel, so from a technical sense any conventional panel would work. Requirements vary from one jurisdiction to another, so I cannot speak for where you are, but when I was a tech we’d occasionally have systems die that needed to be replaced. When that would happen, we would often put in a more modern, addressable system sized properly for the building, and install zone modules to continue to monitor the existing zones to keep the building running. When it came time to actually update the rest of the system, the panel is already there to suit the needs.

There are some technical limitations to consider when it comes to Simplex, more than I’ll go into for discussing a hypothetical situation, but something that would be worth discussing with a future alarm vendor if you need a plan to get a building back up and running fast.

Move on. JCI/Simplex has been past their prime for a decade now. Pricing is highest in industry, worst to work with, don’t pay ECs/GCs on time, I’ve yet to find anyone who is happy with them. Once a customer realizes they were hoodwinked into buying a proprietary system, I honestly feel bad for them, not like the Simplex/JCI ppl tell them that up front.

Exactly my thoughts: Simplex was great at one time, but sadly that time is no more.

It still would be really expensive to switch to a whole other company rather than just keep what you have now and just try and maintain that.

It might end up saving them money in the long run, not to mention headaches, time, & work too.

Yeah but replacing all of what is currently there is going to be at least a $50,000 job. It’s not worth it to replace.