Kevtistic's Alarm/Bell/Detector Collection

[quote="Jacob LARSEN" post_id=87797 time=1603289947 user_id=6261]

i like that first alert 83r! where did you get it?

[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment! I bought that smoke detector from a rummage sale at a senior center. I don’t usually get lucky with finding alarms for sale at a place like this–including smoke alarms–but this was a nice find.

Speaking of finds, I have added two new devices to the collection!

My first find was this Autocall 4015 pull station. It was already in an activated position when I first found it, and sadly, I don’t have a key to reset it. I recall that it was either this pull station (or a chevron type) that was installed in the backstage area of Riley Upper Elementary School in Livonia when I made this surprising discovery as a 6th grader years ago.

My second find was this Faraday 4117 horn mounted on a metal box with a red incandescent light attached. The wiring looks newer on this device, but everything else appears to be completely original. I have two theories for what this device might have been used for: One, a sprinkler valve alarm (similar to a demonstration video I found on YouTube); or two, a gas tank overflow alarm (similar to a Veeder-Root device). This really is a rare find, either way!

[quote=BigKayCea post_id=87824 time=1603759064 user_id=3467] [quote="Jacob LARSEN" post_id=87797 time=1603289947 user_id=6261]

i like that first alert 83r! where did you get it?

[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment! I bought that smoke detector from a rummage sale at a senior center. I don’t usually get lucky with finding alarms for sale at a place like this–including smoke alarms–but this was a nice find.

Anyways i was on ebay browsing when i came across a first alert 83r so yeah! though no formal video yet it looks to be a transitional model between the first and second gen first alert sa67d with my first alert 83r has the OG BRK 83r pac (i also have the 83r if you were wondering) but the alarm has a second gen cover and base

Wow i like that norelco smokey howd you get that

Hi, Jacob. That Norelco smoke detector was from a family member’s home that we removed during remodeling.

Late last year, I added to my fire alarm collection with a couple of new devices! The first one is this Faraday 6020 horn, also commonly known as the Simplex 2901-9833. The pitch this alarm is set to is E (concert D) major. I have tested this device, and it’s one of my quieter alarms in the collection.

I also bought this Fire Control Instruments (FCI) BMVP bell. Numerous companies, including National Time and Simplex, have re-branded this bell under their own model names. I believe Faraday is the original manufacturer of this device. Sadly, I tried powering it up, and it doesn’t work at all. This might be an easy fix down the road, though.

Huh, I’ve seen the Simplex version of that bell, but never an FCI-branded version (heck I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an FCI-branded bell). Best of luck in getting it to work.

I have a new trove of collection devices I’ve obtained!

I’ll kick things off with this Kidde i9040 ionization detector I obtained from a friend. I don’t know if any other company has re-branded this particular device, but I’ve seen it in several places.

Next on the list is this Simplex GX90S-4-15/75WB horn/strobe, originally manufactured by Gentex. I tested this device out and I’ll have a sound clip to upload soon.

Next up is this Simplex 4904-9144 strobe. There are also red-colored variants (with white FIRE lettering) and even ceiling-mount models.

Now we start digging deep into the rare stuff. First up is this IBM 4250 break-glass pull station. A small pane of glass would be inserted, which didn’t come with the device, but I assume I could find a replacement fairly easily.

I couldn’t find a model number for this vintage Schwarze bell, but it was still an amazing discovery nonetheless. This would make for a great restoration project.

Next is this IBM 4030-1B projector horn. I actually tried cleaning the metal nameplate with dish soap and water, to no avail. Benjamin Electric and Simplex Time Recorder Co. also distributed this family of devices in the past.

Next to last is this Simplex 4017-60 bell.

Finally, I have this double-gong device that one of the previous owners mounted onto a wooden board. The nameplate disappeared from it some time ago, but according to an eBay search, this is a Western Electric 392-J model, presumably used in the Bell System at one point in its service life.

Here are my latest sound clips for the following devices:

Ademco AD8 vibrating bell: https://youtu.be/RpI7yXDSikc
Faraday 6020 mechanical horn: https://youtu.be/0rnfNEZP9rM
Federal Signal 350 mechanical horn: https://youtu.be/3HVZxvBRZD8
Simplex GX90S-4-15/75WB horn/strobe: https://youtu.be/Khd6LwAdni8

Hey! I am new to fire alarms and my goal is to get a big collection! Right now I own a rare wheelock 46t g6 24 wh, a simplex truealert horn strobe and a wheelock ns! EDIT: had a grammar mistake :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy Halloween, everybody! I have some new devices to show! To kick things off, I have my First Alert SA303 ionization smoke detector. Nothing too special to write home about.

Does this look familiar? (I later found out this had never been opened before, despite the wear and tear on the box.)

This is my First Alert SA88 ionization smoke detector. According to the manual, it also has a twin with an incandescent light, which I used to have in one of the homes I lived in. Interestingly, the gold-painted push button on this model can have a flashlight shined on it to activate the piezo!

It’s hard to tell, but the original battery is corroded since this detector was never used in an installation.

Comparison shots of my SA88 with my 83R.

A new brand has joined the collection–my Safe House 49-490 piezo–designed for fire or security use in residences.

Also new to my collection is my first-ever carbon dioxide detector–the Nighthawk KN-COP-DP.

Rounding out my latest adds is this Edwards 871P-G1 horn, which runs on DC voltage as opposed to my 874-N5’s AC voltage. I produced a sound recording of this device running on 18V of electricity, which I hope to have uploaded soon.

Nice additions. That 83R of yours is actually a 2nd-generation SA67D, First Alert just had a habit of mislabeling devices as “83R”. I have several SA67Ds myself, one of which is actually mislabeled “83R”.

I have 2 Nighthawk CO detectors, both of which are slightly different from one another; one says “CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR” on the front, is branded as “NIGHTHAWK”, & was made in 1996. The other says “CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM” on the front, is branded as “NIGHTHAWK: A Division of KIDDE Safety” (as Kidde apparently eventually took over Nighthawk), & was made in 2001.

I have 3 Edwards Adaptahorns of my own; two older versions (round), & one newer version (square-ish), which I believe is the same model as yours (24VAC & gray). I hope the “24V DC” text you wrote on your 871P-G1 can be easily removed (otherwise of course it’ll permanently ruin the look of the device in my opinion).

Actually, the “24 VDC” and “8” text in permanent marker was written by a previous owner; it already looked like this when I bought it for the first time.

I also made a sound recording of it not too long ago! It runs underpowered on two 9-volt batteries, but it sounded like it worked okay on three 9-volts, too, but for the sake of not wanting to damage the device, I underpowered it for this recording: https://youtu.be/N23WYdHBXXg

Hope you can remove it if you choose to try & take it off. I’d recommend a Magic Eraser pad.

I’ve powered most of my alarms with three 9V batteries & I don’t think it’s ever damaged them. I’d say it’s more or less okay to slightly overpower a device, just not extremely.

So they’re just like egg timers, but controlled by thermal fuses/bi-metal pieces instead of timing ratchets?

Egg timers? Which device or devices are you referring to?

The ones that resembles the looking of an egg and you turn it to measure time while baking or simmering something… Oh no! I mean, kitchen timers, maybe. Egg timers seems to work in different ways.

I have two new rare devices to share!

At an annual flea market in a nearby community, I bought what I thought was a Sears 462.57472 ionization smoke detector. Admittedly, I should have taken a look inside the box first, because when I got home to inspect it further, I was in for a big surprise.

Isn’t this something! It’s a Montgomery Ward 84-7 smoke detector, originally manufactured by BRK and rebranded by other companies such as Mastercraft!

This must be a first for The Fire Panel Forums. Although there are similar devices documented, this is the first instance of a Federal Signal 350 rebrand by a company called The Scam Instrument Corporation of Skokie, IL. As you can see, it has the Federal Signal PR projector attachment.

What makes this device particularly cool is not just the rarity of the Scam brand. As I walking over to pay for the device at a local antique mall, I was approached by a gentleman who identified himself as the owner of the booth I bought the device from. According to him, this device was originally installed in the now-demolished Joe Louis Arena (in Detroit) as an end of regulation horn (not the goal horns, those were far larger).

I have sound recordings of these two devices (plus new ones from my collection) I plan to upload soon.

Both great finds Kev, congratulations! Unusual if you ask me though how the Montgomery Ward came in a Sears box, heck when I first saw it I thought you had gotten the detector on the box.

“The SCAM Instrument Corporation” huh? Never heard of them (ironic name too given the usual meaning of “scam”). Still a neat & definitely rare/unique device though. Fascinating story about it too (I’m glad the guy you bought it from decided to save it before the arena was torn down).

At last, I have several new sound clips to share!

1 Like

I found a new addition to the collection this weekend!

On the surface, it looks like a Universal Security Instruments burglar alarm, the type usually found outside the entrance to older buildings (such as strip malls). It is designed for both wall and ceiling-mount installation, plus it has a lock for arming or disarming the device. On the inside, however:

There is an Archer 275-498 fire bell! It is an 8" vibrating gong that can be unscrewed from the box and operate as a standalone device. I actually did try to test the bell with a 9-volt battery, and while the motor works, the hammer that strikes the gong needs readjustment, so it will take a hex driver and some WD-40 (the bolt is extremely tight) to fix.