Kid puts smoke detector in sink full of water and tortures it

PLEASE DO NOT SEND THIS KID HATE!!!
This video is much more interesting than I thought. A kid grabs a Kidde combo Smoke and CO detector and puts it in water.
I didn’t actually know this, but your smoke detector still works underwater, and I guess the water fills the ionization chamber.
I won’t say much more because it will spoil the video.

1 Like

Well, alright then…kind of a waste of time as well as a detector if you ask me though. Interesting how long the detector keeps functioning, even after being submerged multiple times. (but of course probably thanks to the water now the sensing chamber’s all screwed up since it wouldn’t stop alarming) Kind of surprised (but somewhat glad) he left the other one he had sitting there alone (unless he destroyed it in another video). I wonder if his parents know he did this.

Gentex/Masterguard smoke detectors are the only detectors I’ve known that are actually designed to be washable, believe it or not. This video explains the procedure: Masterguard Fire Safety - Caring For Your Device - YouTube

3 Likes

It is very interesting indeed how long the speakers, and the piezo sounder will keep functioning even after being submerged in water. Same thing for even when being melted down to a mess of plastic inside of a structure fire and how they will continue to sound. The smoke detector will by no means sense properly but it will continue to sound.

1 Like

I know this is a bump but reminds me of when we toss out old smoke alarms at work in the dumpster. If it rains, our dumpster fills with water, and the old smoke alarm come to life if they still have batteries in them, just forever beeping until they die.

3 Likes

I know they’re technically just inanimate objects, but poor things. At least put some kind of awning or something over the dumpster (or close the lid if it has one). I take it that because they end up in the dumpster that you don’t collect residential smoke alarms?

You know, as far as I know there is no bumping rule anymore; I believe recently it was announced that that rule had been done away with (I’m not sure though, so check with site admins).

1 Like

Bumping is allowed if the reply still pertains to the topic, no matter the age of the last reply/thread. Don’t make useless bumps to a dead thread if you don’t have anything worth while to say.

Anyways, at the end of the day a smoke detector is a utility and that’s all it should be treated like.

1 Like

I’d say that makes perfect sense, compared to the “absolutely no bumping at all” rule that was in place before.

What can I say; I can’t help but feel sympathy for inanimate objects sometimes (even though I know they’re inanimate, which I clarified in my last reply).

2 Likes

The old rule (inherited from the old TSW days) was if a thread was older than 30 days, to refrain from bumping it unless new, relevant information was added. The rule was put in place to discourage people from waking up years-old topics to add something like “i have this smoke detector now”, etc.

We’ve relaxed it to where so long as you’re adding something relevant we’re not going to push the issue about it.

3 Likes

Remember the 5-second rule?

I saw this video. I wish he would’ve destroyed a i4618 or something.

He might die doing that…cause Radioactive Ionization crap.

There’s not enough Americium 241 in an ionization smoke detector to hurt you.

The alpha particles can’t even make it through the plastic cover

Even if it did get submerged in water. The radioactive particles would not flow through the water and remain inside the chamber. Its a very tiny amount which isn’t really hazardous.

Didn’t think about THAT. He should be glad he used a photoelectric detector.

Oh shoot I forgot the truesense kidde dual co2 and smoke are photoelectric

It deserves it. Make sure to throw a few genesis devices in as well. Then you can make an Edwards Stew of Shame.

1 Like

that wasn’t a truesense they look similar, but it was a KN-COPE-IC