Let’s talk about hotel fire alarm systems and what you have seen!

Let’s talk about hotel fire alarm systems!

A few months back, at a hotel I stayed at (The Village Lodge at Mammoth) there was a interesting system. It conducted of Gamewell AS in the hallways and common areas, Gamewell / FCI XP95-P photoelectric smoke detectors in the hallways and common areas. Then the weirdest part: Gamewell centuries with STI stoppers in the hallways and common areas. They looked BRAND NEW (Probably new-old stock). In each of the rooms, there were white Wheelock MIZs and First Alert ionization smoke alarms. The panel was some sort of Gamewell/FCI addressable control panel. Very basic yet interesting system.

2 Likes

Never noted them before like 2018 when I got into them but I’ve been to one with a alarm in the bathroom and a alarm in the bedside plus gentex strobe detectors.

I have also seen a Cerebus Pyrotronics system with ZRS at several near me, a motel with a mix of MASS, Classic, and Advance (I really want to see that one activated), a Simplex voice evac system with truealerts, a 1980s system with lightplates, a est system, a gentex and notifier system, and a fire lite system with L-Series. Also saw a silent knight with advances and mini horns.

1 Like

Cool! All the hotels I’ve stayed at have either Siemens/wheelock voice Evac. I once stayed at a hotel that had simplex 2903 light plates with lifealarm speakers on them.

Once again I don’t think the files are displaying properly.

Huh. Weird. :confused: They should show now. What have you seen in hotels?

I’ve been to a few hotels, & most of them have had pretty standard stuff I’d say. One had TrueAlerts with 2099/4099 t-bars, another had Wheelock ASes with at least one Mirtone-rebranded 270-SPO (definitely an odd combo for sure). Don’t remember much else, though I do know one of those two hotels had a BRK/First Alert 4120B smoke alarm in the room we stayed in.

When it comes to the system you found in this hotel, very interesting combination of devices, especially the Apollo detectors (which more than likely are the Gamewell-rebranded versions since Gamewell once rebranded Apollo’s detectors).

1 Like

I’ve seen everything from small Simplex, Edwards, or Honeywell Systems in Hampton Inns, to large voice equipped Notifier, EST, or Siemens systems in multi-story Hilton or Disney Hotels.

1 Like

Nice. Siemens and Wheelock are very common for me.

1 Like

Gamewell made Centuries well into the 2000’s, including in an addressable version.

2 Likes

Huh. Good to know. I think this hotel was made in 2010. What have you seen in hotels?

My favourite are the older systems. I remember a hotel we stayed at, with a 2 stage Mirtone system, I think it was a 790 series. The first stage was a quick half a second “Beep”, and I could also hear slow whoop on the floor that the alarm happened.

Another was an older hotel with a 2 stage Edwards system. Every floor had Old 270-GAOs, and the signals were both speakers for announcements, and then Edwards 333-D fire bells next to them. I’ve never heard it go off but I would have loved to.

1 Like

Man I’ve seen quite a lot of stuff in hotels. Here are some systems I remember over the years:

• Comfort Inn in DC: Older voice evac system with 8” speakers in rooms and hallways
  • Raddison in Toronto: Older Edwards with bells and 270-SPOs
  • Hampton Inn in Richmond, VA: 4010 (I believe) with TrueAlerts in hallways, and TA horn-only in rooms
  • Comfort Inn in Lexington, VA: 2901 light plates with 2901-9833 horns behind! System I believe was a 2001
  • Hampton Inn in Venice, FL: SK system with L-Series in halls, rooms had FSP-951s (or SK equiv) on LF sounder bases, with L-Series slim strobes next to them
1 Like

Nice! I stayed at a Raddison one time in Anaheim, California and they had a Siemens system. 8 inch Siemens speakers in the rooms and Siemens E70s in the halls. For pulls they had Siemens MS-501s. I’m not sure what the smokes were though.

Nice! Mirtone systems are pretty cool! I’ve never seen any in hotels though. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve been to a few hotels & none of them had a Mirtone system (though that’s probably because I live in the US where they’re much less common if there are even any here at all), in fact I believe the only Mirtone devices I’ve ever seen in real life would be a pair of Mirtone 73303s at a convention center (strange if you ask me though given Mirtone was a Canadian manufacturer & thus you wouldn’t think you’d see their devices in the US, at least not to the extent of Mircom’s devices probably).

2 Likes

I also live in the US and have actually seen quite a few Mirtone/Mircom systems.

The Hotel is called Timberlake Hotel Fire Alarms are Edwards Genesis and Edwards 270 SPO in Staples MN

1 Like

I mean now a days it would be very rare here, many systems have been updated, as many hotels have closed or been bought under different hotel chains. I did see a handful of them though, mostly in the GTA area. One I remember had an assortment of devices. Mirtone, Edwards, Notifier motor bells, and many more. I think the GTA would be your best bet with finding Mirtone systems still, as it is a large area with a ton of fire alarm systems.

1 Like

Nice! I once saw a system at my brothers Pre-K that had a Simplex 4008, Mirtone/Par-Mar pull stations, Wheelock AS’s and some unknown detectors. It was quite a odd system.

I remember staying at a hotel with hochiki smoke detectors and hochiki rebranded gentex commanders

1 Like