Modern Languages Building, University of Michigan decommissioning Old Simplex System

This is one cool system! This system contains of a whole system of Flush Mounted Simplex 4040s and older style Simplex Chevron’s. This system is in the works of replacement and will not be active for much longer. Got in contact with that place and may or may not be getting them. The system is being replaced by a system of TrueAlerts. As of 05/14/23 the old system is still active.

1 Like

Not sure I’ve ever seen silver Simplex flushmount horn cover plates like those!

In case you were wondering, the silver thing in photo #22 is a Fire Detection Devices (or “FDD”) CF-series mechanical heat detector (which were seemingly also rebranded by Edwards, though the Edwards rebrands seem to be rare).

1 Like

Brushed aluminum flush grilles… One of the most rare variants. I hope you’re able to salvage the old system.

1 Like

i saw a gray 4040 with a chrome diaphragm. i actually thought it was a 4 inch bell from a distance, and had to do a double take up close.

thats really cool I have seen one of those horns in my elementary school and was replaced with a L series

sads hard. seriously though, it is a shame.