My autistic son collects fire alarms

Where is a good place to buy fire alarms at a decent price? Hes 10 yrs old and is all about fire alarms. He can name make and model of every alarm he sees when we’re out and about.
He is so cute and so determined. I just want to help.

5 Likes

I don’t know about decent price but really the only place anyone uses is Ebay (why exactly I don’t know, but it just seems like the standard place to buy devices from). You could give local service companies a try though: they may have some devices they don’t need for anything (that’s how I’ve gotten some of mine).

Posts like these are so wholesome, gives me good memories of my mother always supporting my obscure hobbies as I grew up. For an actual answer though, I echo what Carson said. Some more basic alarms(and sometimes vintage cool ones) can be found on Ebay for fairly reasonable prices if you look enough. Every once in a while I’ll see one pop up on places like Facebook Marketplace though rarely within reasonable distance. Talking to local installers and talking about how your autistic son likes them could get good results(though in my experience, will often be shrugged off, never hurts to try)!

Thank you for being supportive.

4 Likes

I definitely support. My parents were very unsupportive. I will strive to support my children in whatever interests they have, so history doesn’t repeat itself.

1 Like

I can try to send you son something free of charge.

3 Likes

eBay is the best place to get alarms. I’ve gotten almost all of the alarms in my collection from eBay

1 Like

You can always try finding some at buildings slated for demolition.

3 Likes

I would for sure support your son, in my opinion a good place to get alarms for sort of cheap is eBay
If you search fire alarms it lets you see every brand on there, and it’s possible to get alarms that are still in the packaging

My dad is supportive of my collection, he has helped me get devices, helped me wire, but my mother and brother think it’s weird and my mom hates that they make noise, she has yelled at me a few times for opening the station to sound it once for 2 seconds for fun

1 Like

Antique stores, architectural salvage warehouses, flea markets, and thrift stores are also good places to search for fire alarms for your son. Many of my collection pieces have come from these.

Another method is if you or your son may know of any local fire alarm collectors in the community. There could possibly be trades or sales if either of you can get in touch.

Shell Kay,

I would like to help out. PM Me and i’ll send you some fire alarm devices to your son for free.

2 Likes