My Collection (03.29.21):

Hello! It’s been almost a year since I’ve given an update on my collection, and within that time, a lot about it has changed. I’ve acquired some new things here and there, but have mainly sold off and parted ways with a vast majority of my collection. With other priorities in life and the fact that I am graduating from college in the near future, I decided it would be more appropriate to hang onto some of the most sentimental/hard to find pieces. I went ahead and listed everything out below (and you may notice a theme - everything is Simplex!). I’ll be attaching pictures later on, starting with the control panels. Anyways, enjoy:

I: Control Panels:

1. Simplex 4208AX: Manufactured in 1974, this panel features one conventional class B zone and 1 one adjustable AC bell circuit (the AX in 4208AX denotes AC bell circuits). I did a full restoration on this panel back in the fall (I posted about that in another topic if you are interested).

2. Simplex 2001: The 2001 series was the first fully modular, card based system offered by Simplex starting in late 1978. My particular 2001 (a part of the “re-pack” series) was manufactured in April of 1980 and features an AC bell circuit module for AC bells/horns. This module is nearly identical to the one in my 4208AX. The panel also features 4 zones (as of current), a 90 BPM marchtime card, two standard DC signal circuits, and an OP/SP power card.

3. Simplex 4001: The Simplex 4001 (along side the 4002) were released around 1986 to replace Simplex’s 2001 line-up, which had been fully phased out by late 1988. My 4001 was manufactured in October of 1988 and features four class B conventional zones and one class B NAC circuit.

4. Simplex 4005: My particular 4005 has been retrofitted into an old 4002 cabinet using the Simplex 4002 → 4005 retrofit kit. I’m guessing these retrofits were not all that common, as the only other collector I know of that had one was Destin (Thesdx) many years ago. Both the 4001 and 4005 were removed from the same facility.

5. Simplex 4010 (Classic): The 4010 was one of Simplex’s first solely IDNet based control panels, released around late 1998/ early 1999. The 4010 is capable of hosting 250 IDNet points on its singular SLC and has 4 programmable class B NAC circuits. The 4010 is one of the very few addressable Simplex panels that is able to be programmed through the operator interface by the end user.

6. Simplex 4100U: This 4100U is the last control panel in my collection. Manufactured around 2004/2005, this panel is in a 2 bay, beige cabinet with an expansion power supply in the second bay and CPU/system power supply in the top. Although I cannot re-program this panel, I still managed to get it working by mirroring the addresses of some of the already existing devices within the panel’s program. Unfortunately, this panel can only be used with SmartSync TrueAlert horn/strobes and strobes as all of the NAC outputs were programmed for SmartSync.

II: Pull Stations:

1. Simplex 4251-20’s (earlier version with flat handle, x2).
  2. Simplex 2099-9101 conventional t-bar (has a metal, double pull double throw switch).
  3. Simplex 4099-9001 addressable t-bar (has the newer IDNet module).

III: Smoke Detectors:

1. Simplex 4098-9714 addressable photoelectric smoke detector (uses IDNet protocol, has the 9792 addressable base).
  2. Simplex 2098-9636 conventional photoelectric smoke detectors (“whiffle ball” style, x2).

IV: Notification Appliances:

1. Simplex 4050 horns (came with the 4208, operate off of 6V AC).
  2. Simplex 2901-9833 horn.
  3. Simplex 2903-9001 flush mount light plate (came with the 9833).
  4. Simplex 2903-9102 surface mount strobe plate.
  5. Simplex 2904-9153 remote strobe (runs off of 120V AC, has a red lens rather than white).
  6. Simplex 4904-9135 remote strobe (30 candela).
  7. Simplex 4906-9101 TrueAlert remote strobe (Multi-CD, SmartSync).
  8. Simplex 4906-9127 TrueAlert horn/strobe (Multi-CD, SmartSync).

V: Remote Annunciators:

1. 4603-9101 (older style with “A” style key lock, paired with the 4100U).
  2. 4606-9101 (paired with the 4010).

I must say Nick, sorry to hear that you’re going down pretty much the same road Destin did: feeling that because of what’s happening with the rest of your life you can’t hold onto all of your collection anymore & thus have gotten rid of all the newer easier-to-find devices. Sorry to hear you can’t program your 4100U as well. Still, regardless of any of this, you’ve still got a pretty decent collection I’d say.

Thank you. I definitely am not losing interest (although I do have other, bigger hobbies), however it’s just more of an issue of being able to store everything. I just started to get tired of having a storage unit filled with control panels and several boxes of devices, thus is to why I condensed down considerably.

As promised, here are some of the pictures from my collection. I’ll start by posting pictures of my control panels, and will post pictures of my devices later on once I dig them out of their boxes.

1 Like

Nice panel collection you got there Nick! Definitely didn’t expect to see the 4005 in a multi-bay 4002 case though! (I know sometimes you can find 4005s in 4002 cases thanks to a retrofit kit, & I know there are multi-bay 4002s, but I hadn’t seen a 4005 in a multi-bay 4002 case until I saw yours) I hope most of these panels work as they should.

Thank you! I was surprised to find that 4005 the way I did, I never knew that the 4005 could be retrofitted into a larger 4002 back can myself. Most of these panels DO work, however some of them need some tweaking. I’m still struggling on figuring out how to get the 2001 working (it came with none of the cards or card frame, so I had to buy all the parts and am figuring out how it went together) and the 4208 needs to have it’s AC bell circuit module adjusted to output the proper current. Other than that, everything else is pretty much functional.

Well, best of luck on getting them working properly.

Nick is amazing, he does a great job on system tests!

Never watched any of his system tests (not that I knew he even made any), but he seems to be a pretty cool guy.

I agree! I have to see his videos, should I, yes or no?

That’s all up to you.

I think you’re slightly mistaken, I don’t make/never made system tests, let alone have a functional hobby system set up anymore. Most of everything of mine is put away in boxes. You must be thinking of someone else that maybe has the same name as me.

Hey, you’re right, it’s definitely all up to me to do that.