My Collection (Updated 4.26.22)

He had a lot more at one time, but he decided to get rid of a lot of it due to various factors (which you can read in the first post he made).

CarsonFireAlarm summed it up perfectly. I don’t see the point in going overboard with collecting anymore, I did it for 14 years. Everyone “cleans house” at some point in their collecting career, I felt like it was time for me to do that.

Nope! I don’t have any pull stations!

Isn’t that sort of a random response when no one mentioned anything about pull stations?

I really like the Simplex 4903-9219! :grinning:

I still see Simplex 4251s almost as often as I see Siemens HMS pulls and Fire-Lite BG-10s. I’ve always thought the T-Bar’s were a classic design, it’s kinda unfortunate that that style isn’t sought after in newer installs. I supposed the BG-12LXs are just more cost effective anyhow.

Yeah, heck I’d say Simplex’s current line of t-bars are somewhat cheaply made, especially as the 4251-series just feels like they’re able to take a substantial beating without breaking apart, whereas a 2099 or 4099-series t-bar seems like it could be easily smashed to pieces. Seems like the plastic is just better quality on the 4251-series t-bars (so is the handle design on some of them, being substantially solid compared to the thin flimsy handle 2099 & 4099-series t-bars have).

I would say that all modern fire alarm equipment is cheaply made and lacks any sort of quality. A lot of people may disagree with that, but fire alarm equipment from the 1970s (maybe even the 1980s) and prior was built to last, whereas equipment manufactured within the past 20 years or so is designed to be cheap and disposable, just like everything else made today. There are many examples of decades old fire alarm systems that still work without an issue. Try getting decades of use out of something like a 4100es for example - it won’t happen. Systems becoming computerized didn’t help either, as there are significantly more points of failure.

As far as the 4251 series goes, they were built to last. The only issue with them now is the plastic possibly fracturing due to age (I have a 4251-20 that has a hairline fracture around the lock).

Yeah, shame companies have turned to that all because it’s cheaper. Not my company: I plan on having all my company’s products designed & built to last (& of course not outsourcing all production to China like virtually every company does).

You have a company? Not to detract from the OP, but you said you have a company?

Not yet anyway, by at least a decade down the road I might have one.

That’s pretty neat. I wish you the best with starting your own company, that is quite the ambitious project. It would be nice to see fire alarm equipment that is made in the USA again. Can’t really think of any that is at the moment.

Honestly I’m not sure if we’d actually make our own devices or simply provide service, but I have plans for it to be more than just a fire protection-related company.

I remember New age server alarm working on his alert tech products for a while. Never watched his videos as a kid, but I did stumble across this channel recently. I suppose you got to get your degree in electronics and then a degree in business management or something. Work on your credit score do what you got to do.

As a technician, what I’d like to see most is devices that fit single gang rings and boxes and then four square boxes perfectly. It would be pretty cool to see if you could come up with another pull station that is as classic as BG 12 or the Simplex t-bars.

Yeah, I know he once had a list of Alertek products written down somewhere, but half of those he never ended up making I think. I’m not planning on going to college as it’s just a waste of time to me.

I believe there are a number of devices that already fit that criteria. While most manufacturers have disappointed me in that they make pretty much exclusively 2-wire horn/strobes now, the one manufacturer that’s almost not disappointed me is Gentex: their devices are 4-wire by default, & can be made 2-wire with the simple flip of a couple DIP switches (which is the method I wish more companies used). My only real issue with Gentex is that for whatever reason they removed the chime & whoop tones from their Commander 4.

That might be a weird device you go there, because I want one.

Which device are you referring to Mattias? There are several listed here.

Oh, the Wheelock MT because it’s my favorite and I want one.

Oh yeah, I agree with you @Mattias_Peterson. I personally like the Older style Wheelock MT.

1 Like

I know that the newer style MT is rebranded by Siemens.