My Fire Alarm Boxes

Hey, I figured I’d post these and see if anyone knew what the models were. I can’t for the life of me find out. xD

DSCN5282 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

DSCN5283 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

DSCN5284 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

DSCN5281 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

DSCN5280 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

DSCN5279 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

DSCN5278 by 4j25Sirens, on Flickr

Neither of them work, but look like they can.

The pull on the left appears to be an Autocall 48268.

The second appears to be an old Gamewell box interior. We used to have such a Gamewell alarm box on a telephone pole outside our house, like this:

Only difference was inside it said “PULL HANDLE DOWN ONCE - LET GO”.

In 2003, they replaced it with the current type of Gamewell master box, but it still functions the same way.
Ah, another perk of living in a city that still uses those old fire alarm street boxes! :smiley:

A picture of our street when my mother was 7 or 8 showed that there was a FA box outside on a telephone pole at one point, but now its gone. Actually its been gone for quite a while since it was in the 50s!

A lot of cities have gone wireless. Here in Worcester, the second largest city in New England, the fire boxes are long gone.

FA street boxes are a New England thing anyways, I’ve never seen them anywhere else.

I can’t say I’ve ever really understood the point of them? Not since the wide spread proliferation of telephones anyways.

For anyone interested, here is a web site I found a few years ago dedicated to municipal fire systems.
http://plaws.net/fire/box.html
Unfortunately some of the links on this site are no longer valid, but it still is interesting.