My new Simplex 4002 for my mini-system

I managed to find a Simplex 4002 for my collection to keep my 4001 company. I intend to use this panel to make a mini-system with some of the Simplex devices I removed from the elementary school that I attended some years ago (original panel was a 4002 before being replaced with the 4005 retrofit kit). I went back to my storage unit and found the 4251-20, the 2901-9838 on 2903-9001, and the 2098-9636 that were the closest devices to my old classroom that will be used on that mini-system. The panel does need a bit of work, all the toggle switches and all the push button switches (except the manual evac) are broken off, and require a screwdriver to depress. Lucky they’re off-the-shelf parts, and I have found some, so I’ll have to replace them. It is also missing two of the empty card blanks, and the battery harness. Otherwise it works good. I also found some Simplex test sheets from system tests dated 1998-2002 in behind the zone cards, and I was able to find the building that this panel came out of. I have a few ideas on how I’m going to build this mini-system, but I’m open to suggestions from all of you.

3 Likes

I have a mini system no panel but it is not working when i pull the alarm. I live in a place with cold/hot temps. does this affect it. or do i need to get a new device. this is my 2nd device in the 2022 christmas break. what should i do. any ideas? also i use 2 9volt dc batteries. this works but now its not wokring.

I don’t think it would be much of a problem as as far as temperatures are concerned, it sounds more like a wiring problem or a voltage problem. Assuming you’re using a 24VDC notification appliance, 2 9 volt batteries might not supply enough voltage to sound the alarm. I would try using a 24VDC power supply in lieu of 9 volt batteries, simply because batteries go bad after a while. You may also have wired the device backwards. Most modern fire alarms are polarized, which means the wires can’t be wired anywhere. You have to wire plus (+) and minus (-) correctly or else the alarm won’t sound. I hope my insight will help you with your mini-system.

1 Like