My very rapidly growing collection. Very cool and interesting units

Hi everyone sorry I haven’t been on the forum for a while i had problems loggin in. seems to be okay now. I joined this forum in early 2017 and at the time I only had two alarms. My Nortron TR88 and a Gardsman Bell. I also purchased my First Alert SA76RS from a non collector here. This is my collection as of today. And I have one on the way a Malgard 1101 FM. Hope these pics post.

1 Like

Nice collection so far Jan! I recognize most of the units you’ve got there, but some I just can’t place.

Is that statue in the middle a detector too?

1 Like

Thanks it sure has gotten big. It is okay some I never heard of until recently. I will have to go back and look at them all and then list them. Yep even that little angel statue is a smoke detector. That is called a Calfax NOMA Guardian Angel smoke detector/heat detector. The only year of production these were made is 1977 that I can see. These are actually a tree ornament but mine is missing the string to hang it up as I got mine second hand. It runs on an AA battery and has a squealer horn. Very cool alarm for its era. It resides on the mantle of my gas fire place :slight_smile: :).

2 Likes

Here is a picture of it from a while ago sitting on the mantle beside a smaller crystal angel ornament. This detector is so pretty she even looks like she is getting ready to sing Christmas songs from her choir book. I guess Christmas tree “ornament” detectors were not a new idea! There is a test strip on the base of the unit and it isn’t as loud as regular squealer horns of that time. Still a very cool unit and the casing is a plastic mould. These units must have been mass produced because they pop up on Ebay, Mine unfortunately didn’t come with the original packaging as it is second hand.

Cute fire-monitoring girl! So curious if she would shout out anything like “Fire! Fire!” or “Evacuate now!” if she smells or sees a fire starting.
Also wondering what the golden round bell-like thingy with six blade vents is… Is it a bell combined with an electro-pneumatic siren?

Probably not, as Jan said the Calfax NOMA Guardian Angel was supposedly made in 1977 only, which would have been back when electromechanical horns were still in wide use (though I’m not sure what sounding device the Guardian Angel uses).

That “golden round bell-like thingy” is a Vulcan Autosonic Mark SRO-4 120VAC-powered photoelectric smoke detector if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

The Fire Angel has a standard squealer horn from that time period and it is actually not as loud as regular squealer horns .

1 Like

Yep the “golden round bell like thingy” is a Vulcan Mark SRO 4 120VAC power photo electric smoke detector circa 1971 -72. It has a Delt Alarm squealer horn and uses the older incandescent bulb which mine still needs a new one. When plugged in for now it does a low buzzing hum which is the trouble indicator. Once I get a bulb it should make the squealer sound. :grinning:

1 Like

Love that unique detector! Also unrelated to the topic, my parents have that exact collage picture in their house :laughing: