National Time outside of Michigan?

I’m sure at least some people, or anyone here at all that is from Michigan has heard of our local company, National Time & Signal.
For those who haven’t, they are a smaller company based out from Detroit Michigan who made & installed fire alarm systems in schools, government offices, and basically almost every other building imaginable. They’re extremely present in Detroit & its metro area and basically rule the fire alarm & wired clock industry here as a whole. Kinda like how other companies like Firecom in NYC, or Notifier was to the West are like.

However, they are the most common here in Michigan, I’ve wondered if their alarm systems have ever been spotted outside in other states. I know for a fact that they do not only kater to Michigan as their wired clocks have been seen all over the US and even across seas!
Many National Time systems now have rebranded products. Usually rebranded Gentex Commanders & speaker strobes, rebranded Sigcom pull stations, and Gamewell/Apollo smoke/heat detectors.
There are however much older systems that made use of their own products which are much rarer to find, even here in Michigan.
So please share, where have you seen National Time products?

1 Like

I have a National Time-rebranded Commander 3 & a National Time-rebranded Faraday electromechanical horn/strobe (not sure of the model, but mine came with the strobe missing), but that’s about it: it seems like you really don’t see them or their systems anywhere outside of Michigan: heck I’d say it’s a wonder they even manage to stay in business!

1 Like

I think some places in northwestern Ohio (Such as Toledo) and northern Indiana may have National Time systems. I believe there are also some in southern Ontario.

It seems that National Time was indeed active in Ontario (at least in the Toronto area). A few 641 pull stations can be seen in this building in Toronto. A few years ago, I also recall coming across an eBay listing for a 641 from a seller in that area; the pull station appeared to have remnants of a ULC sticker just below the lever.

I searched the Ontario Business Registry and found an inactive company named “National Time & Controls Limited”; its previous name was “National Time & Signal (Ontario) Limited”. The registry unfortunately provides few other useful details without the purchase of a full report.

1 Like

I knew there had to be a Canadian division.

1 Like

a museam that I go to has Gentex Commander 3s, but one of them died and was replaced with a National Time rebrand. I am in North Texas.

I remember interacting with a virtual tour of a school in the Chicago, IL area that had Natsco 411 horns and 620M pull stations, so that’s one other state Natsco has had a presence in.

I might have to find that building in Toronto and see if I can save those 10" IBM Bells lol. I can see newer 6" Notifier Bells, so I assume the 10" Bells are all disconnected.

Oh yes, there is an Elementary school near me that has some old NT&S 641 Pull stations, and then these really, really rare round horns, with a spaced out grill, and you can make out the horn mechanism underneath. Here are some screeenshots of it, If anyone could identify it, that would be amazing. I’ve been trying forever.

It is the grey device. I’ve never seen them in my life but I’m 100% sure it is branded National Time & Signal.

Is this the horn in question?
This is the 411.

That’s super close, it honestly might be. The school itself was built in 1972 or 1974, so they would be from that era.

I found this on eBay:
Link

My local library has a NATSCO clock, along with lots of simplex clocks.

My old school had a “nationalTIME” branded Gentex Commander 3 retrofit on top of a Potter SASH sprinkler alarm thingy