New Security System

We just got a new LYNX Touch (First Alert Professional ReadyGuard Touch) in our apartment.

First Alert Professional ReadyGuard Touch:

5816 Window Contacts:

5800PIR-RES Motion Detector:

5815 Door Contacts:

5808W3 Smoke/Heat Detector:

The burglar alarm system is installed, serviced and monitored by Koorsen Fire and Security.

EDIT: This was my birthday present.

Happy birthday. Nice security system.

NICE! Those are i3 smoke detectors, which appear to be 2WTAB or 4WTAB or similar models.

Thank you.

Intro video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvk5cbSPGI

Guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDtSFUo0-ug

Very nice system! I like the keypad. Looking at the videos, it’s really easy to use.

Very cool birthday present! Something to leave you feeling nice and secure that’s for sure.

Because this is an apartment building, how did you manage to get approval to install a system like this? I know most of the components are wireless, but what about the smoke detector? Unless of course they make an i3 that’s wireless and battery powered.

Good looking system! Can’t wait to see the videos.

Just checked, that is a Honeywell smoke detector that is actually an i3, but instead of normal wiring, it instead contains a transmitter and a 3 volt lithium battery. This is why the green and red LEDs are right next to each other. I could not find any documentation from System Sensor about it, but I did from Honeywell’s site:
http://library.ademconet.com/MWT/fs2/0/6286.pdf

According to the rules in the management of the apartments, it didn’t say that there’s no security system allowed unless asked by permission.

Thank you!

Sounds right to me. Management starts having an issue when you begin to make holes in the walls and running wire, at least in all apartments I’ve lived in.

In one building my friend lived in, you could pay an extra monthly fee (added to your rent) to have the pre-installed security system activated. Smoke alarms would still work in standalone mode, you just wouldn’t have any activations centralized into a system, nor would you have security/fire monitoring capabilities. It was up to the tenant to decide whether or not it was worth it, since apparently it’s illegal in California to mandate payment for an “unnecessary service” when renting.

Thanks Calvin also for the PDF on that detector. I have always been curious about wireless standalone detectors. This is definitely a step into the future of bringing older buildings up to code, both in residential and commercial applications!

Is that the phone wire sticking right out of the side of the keypad?

Any idea on the total cost and monthly fee on the system?

Here is an install done with the system http://web.apigroupinc.com/headlines/yellowstone.php

I am not a fan of wireless holes can be cut, patched and made to look like they were never even there. In instances where looks are not a concern like in older apartments and commercial settings conduit and wiremold is an option. And by the time you are done if you compare the cost, wireless is only beneficial to installers like ADT who want to get in, and get out and sell as many systems in a day as they can.

The funny thing is the installer his parents used has “CAUTION: Don’t compromise your family and your property with inferior solutions. Avoid “self-contained” and “do-it-yourself” wireless systems.” right on their website. And what did they install? a self-contained wireless system…

Ahh yeah I’ve just never seen a lot of practical applications for wireless systems. That would be a practical application for them since the building is older and structural integrity is probably minimal at best, so cutting holes and patching could lead to severe weakening of the dry wall itself. I’ve talked with facilities managers and carpenters alike, as I have one working two offices down from my cubicle. Dry wall doesn’t last forever unless you take care of your building properly. Things like moisture, insects, etc. can weaken dry wall and paneling. So it’s really the decision between drilling a few screw holes and keep the original fixtures and walls in tact, or spending thousands of dollars to rewire and put up new walls and fixtures.

In the situation of apartment buildings…individual unit installs that DO NOT involve supervision from landlord or property management, the contract signed will dictate the rules on drilling and other construction inside the unit. Generally speaking, I believe they will not allow you to make a hole larger than the circumference of a pencil. Patch jobs are always noticeable no matter how well you try to disguise it, unless you repaint the entire wall. Molding can rip paint off of the wall with its adhesive side, because when you move out the apartment should need to be returned in original condition. Landlords are such slime balls nowadays that they’ll do anything to take cash out of your security deposit, and I’ve dealt with that issue twice. I had a spot on the floor from discoloration over time, and they charged me to replace the carpet. They found dust on top of our cabinets and charged me a $150 “cleaning fee”.

Wireless is practical, not necessarily the best thing for the time being, however revolutionary.

cleaning fee my ass. It’s called getting a few paper towels and some pledge. If they were that concerned about the dust they could have taken care of it themselves for a buck or two.

Yes.

Nope. I don’t know the fee.

Ok… Unless the panel has the optional built in cellular communicator all a burglar or whoever else, only has to cut that cord to disable the systems ability to dial out to a central station.

Does your apartment have a secure utility room? You could easily just rip out your phone like there as well again if the unit does not have the built in GSM dialer. Based on the system your parents chose it is on the lower end of the wireless system spectrum so I would assume they have the most inexpensive options available.

I also have to stress to not constantly call your alarm company to put the system out of service so you can fiddle around with it. Every call you make forces a central station operator to be delayed in responding even by seconds to the next alarm.

Honestly? Seems like a ridiculous gift. Your parents should have an alarm “just because” if they are that worried about their saftey in a small apartment. You will probably regret not getting something you will cherish for the rest of your life, or can not share it and show it off to your friends. Have fun with your new “security” system… Because I am not to sure how much security that system is going to provide.

I see that whole system as a way for security company’s to prey on people, scare you with facts about how fast and often a burglary happens and then throw in a sub standard wireless system in. My advice is to call your security company back and have them install that control box under a cabinet or hidden behind the couch and install a remote keypad by the door. You want to restrict access to that central keypad unit by making it almost invisible. Another question is since you are in an apartment do you know how they wired the system to take over the phone line? IE so say you leave a phone off the hook and a fire occurs, the system should take over the busy line by disconnecting the telephone sets can you take a few photos of how they wired it into the phone line? I hate to be a bitch but I can not stand this type of install I think customers deserve a bit more.

Anyone remember those Plug n Power / X-10 / RadioShack all-in-one security systems? They were worse. The siren, keypad, control panel, and dialer were all contained in a box you put on a table. Now of course you could get remote controls (if you could even find them) and remote sirens for it, but I wonder if Honeywell / Ademco / Whoever got the idea for the Lynx from that, seeing a potential market?

The system the OP posted also has a table option. However the difference is that X10 was sold to unskilled and elderly homeowners. The system also only called numbers you programed, not a central station.

The OP’s system is “professionally” installed system.