New to the site!

Can’t you check firelite?

I’m sure I could but the panel in the link above had the same look but had a few models which was all based on how many zones it could monitor.

You are talking almost 5 years ago lol I can’t remember that far back… but I can remember thinking I was in test mode and tripped a pull station… I heard a fire truck get closer and closer until I said Oh crap… that panel would eat batteries… 2 12V 18AH SLA’s had about a 2 year life span.

Bad charging circuit?

Sounds like maybe the wrong battery type was used – or a bad brand like Ultratech was being used. Notifier’s FireWarden-100 is pretty much the same panel and we don’t have issues with panels “eating” batteries.

Ultratech batteries – On the inspections I have doing I have started expecting them to fail. They are very unreliable batteries that only last for about a year before needing to be replaced. I’ve replaced lots of them because they did not last long at all.

Is like powersonic good?

I’ve heard great things about Powersonic, and Yuasa. At work we use Werker and have seen decent results from them so far. I actually pulled out a pair of 10 year old Yuasa batteries a couple months ago that had been passing the Amp-hour test and lasted twice their expected lifespan. For those who do not know, in the industry we use a lead acid battery amp-hour tester such as the ACT Gold-Plus:

on fire alarm panel batteries when doing inspections. The standard for batteries is if their life, in Amp-hours, has fallen below 60% then the batteries need to be replaced as they will not provide the necessary backup power in a power failure condition.

Now for a quick little quiz for the newer people… This is an easy one once you know:
What is the NFPA requirement for how long the primary backup power (this means the panel batteries) should last when the primary and secondary power sources (AC power) fails?
This question has two answers as NFPA has two requirements – Standby power and alarm power.
Standby: ___ hours
In Alarm: ___ minutes

LOL the batteries before it were powersonics and the replacements were powersonics… as you can see these batts in the system we have now got installed back in '10 so it must of been the charging circuit.

Is 24 h and 5m alarm?

I think the standby is higher… I swore I remember seeing something like 48 hours… I can’t remember the alarm part however.

Don’t know…are the guys testing the system today?

He said he was coming back today they did not give a time frame… they have to come with a tall ladder, the guy that came yesterday just had a tool box. But he knew the layout well because he did work here before.

I would assume they would have to test after doing a alignment

Try and record it for us :wink:

lol don’t worry I will make sure I get it :smiley:

That system is just cool looking lol :wink:

crap I forgot to write it down before I left but I know the strobes in the main church area are Edwards Integrity but the voice comes from the Integrity I assume I was not able to focus on it last week when someone pulled one of the pull stations.

That is correct!
In most cases, at least 24 hours of standby power and at least 5 minutes of alarm power. Usually with systems it ends up being more than that.
BTW there is a formula to solve what size batteries, in Ah, you need at a minimum:

Ah = 1.2(Sx + Ay)
x = total standby power
y = total alarm power
S = hours of standby time
A = hours of alarm time (5 min = 0.084 hours, 10 min = 0.168 hours)
1.2 = Derating factor, changes the result so that it is slightly higher than the bare minimum.

Example: 24 hours of standby, 5 minutes of alarm, system draws 1/4 amp on standby and 2 amps in alarm:
Ah = 1.2(24 * 0.25 + 0.084 * 2)
= 7.5 so you’d need at least a 12 Ah battery.

If a math nerd on here wants to solve the binomial equation and figure out what the standby and alarm times are for a 12 Ah battery then go right ahead but I’m not going to. I’d love to see the result though.

I was going to say what’s the harm in having something that lasts longer.

Thanks for putting this in the Beginner area, its very helpful! :wink:

Ahh crap I set off the alarm!!

I was sanding in the closet and so some smoke was coming out and I looked at the smoke detector that was maybe 25 ft away and I saw it changed to red and I was like ah crap!!

I got some on but I called the alarm monitoring place and put the system in disregard for 2 hours.

If the alarm company set the system in disregard for 2 hours does that mean I can do a drill test?