Rare Smoke Detectors

Okay, I just sent an email to the realtor of that house. I also sent one to the realtor of the house on Strawberry Drive, the one with the sa76rs and sa80fc.

hopefully. I wouldn’t mind having it.

What year would you say that the mystery Dicon is from?

Early 80s I’d guess. Hopefully the realtor responds to you, I never did get one when I asked.

Yeah, I havent gotten a response yet either.

Okay this is all very sudden and exciting.
So I was bored in class so I decided to scroll through Realtor listings in my area, and decided to look at this house. 21789 Rausch Ave, Eastpointe, MI 48021 | realtor.com®
While browsing, I didnt think there would be anything, until I looked down this hall:

At first I thought it was just a First Alert sa76rs/rc, but then I looked closer…
2052_5742_f8e5036e3d4811ddff9f06fd4a8454b3_unknown (2)
Not a Single Side vent!
Plus, the house is from 1974…coincidence?
Compare it to this only example of an ss74ac.
2053_5742_29ca0951e4055921b103e5915032b1e9_118817606_4273866755988083_7711594607324758981_n
I dont know about you, but to me, that looks the same.
I decided to email the realtor of that house, and surprisingly, she answered almost immediately.
2054_5742_c25994e4fc7348090ffb9412ba93eeae_Screenshot (11885)
I said I could talk on the weekend.

I, and most of the people on my discord server, are very excited about this, because maybe, after all these years, we have finally found the ultimate Holy Grail of smoke alarms. An honest to goodness SS74R. (or an ss74ac, whatever.) Lets all hope that we have finally found it. Also, why me?

Just dont freak out if it turns out to be an sa76rs/rc.

Just like a quick request/announcement, if you find something stupidly rare or Realtor, don’t hesitate to post where you found it. If someone lives in that area or something, the detectors might be able to be saved and end up in a collection, rather than the trash (or a random house in nowheresville).

Here’s some potentially rare alarms I found in the wild while looking at online homes:
image ![image|556x417]
(upload://6Cahc0fXHqQugcItcUxwy0exWEd.jpeg) image image image image image image image

If images don’t show up, here’s a list:
SA76RC with missing battery and cover
SA150LTD
Weird Montgomery Wards/Mastercraft with a heat sensor or button in the middle
Coleman Sheltra (yes those exist, there are models CB and CADC i believe)
FireX CEC (CB/CC with escape light)
Some type of wired Dicon (Looks like the British BRK 770MBX, but somehow found some alarm like it in a US home)
Some alarm that looks the Vigilante ES7 but no test button
ESL 709-2 with wood cover

(Turns out uploading from mobile works)

I have the 449CST as well, Also have a very old Pyr-A-Larm Sears household Smoke Alarm

I’m probably will be getting a ESL 445AT. Theres one new old stock with its original box. Or a ESL 541C.

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned the BRK 4120 series? Supposedly they were recalled, but my entire neighborhood had them installed with the construction of almost every house. Our house has had the same BRK 4120B models still in service since it was constructed in the early 2000’s.

4120b
(Here is a photo, I’d upload a better one but I’m suffering with a school proxy at the moment.)

I know Grant (S.E.R.) had his house full of them, so I’m unsure what actually happened with the 4120 series. If anybody has info that’d be amazing.

The Vigilante model is a Z-700, the original 12.6 volt model

2 Likes

Here’s a REALLY rare system-connected ionization detector… the Fire Alert FT-200!
This is from the 1970’s.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CT42-gsgcRt/

That is rare, even I’ve never seen one!

I haven’t been on here in a while and I’ve gotten several new items since last posting which you may see on my youtube channel. But I will share a few rarities that deserve to be archived here that I have received recently.
Emhart 035-615 (same base as the Casady Engineering Gard-Site models)

Statitrol SmokeGard 700A

Rittenhouse S7809 (rebranded SmokeGard 907B2)

two Statitrol SmokeGard 800A8’s
And by far the strangest and rarest one, the Dong Bang DB-SSA-77A

1 Like

I did a Google search for the last one there (DB-SSA-77A) & this is the only result that came up: Detector Directory - K. R. Mniszewski, Thomas E. Waterman, S. W. Harpe - Google Books
Not sure what this book’s about exactly, but it might be a valuable resource for obscure & rare detector makes & models.

Good find! So this confirms that these were in fact meant to be produced/distributed here in the states, unlike how I originally thought mine was some sort of prototype or one-off deal. I was able to find another Dong Bang labeled unit on Ebay India as well, this one seems to be a rebrand of a Norelco SD-125 (which in turn is already a rebranded Dicon) but it’s a photoelectric model apparently. I bet mine is the predecessor to these. Dong Bang Electronic P106-91100 DC9V | eBay

What exactly in the book confirms such?