Rare Smoke Detectors

Trying to find out what detector this is, looks like some kind of notifier/system sensor, the system is conventional and has majority on Nittan devices but I can’t seem to identify this one

theres a new cheapo detector right by it. it works well or at least better then the og

I assume it’s not dual-sensor (photoelectric & ionization, which is typically the best for detecting any type of fire). Also why leave the NuTone one up if it’s already been replaced with a newer detector?

1st, No, its some cheap ionization detector, but it gets the job done. 2nd, I have no idea why it wasn’t taken down. I guess my grandparents are just lazy :man_shrugging:

1 Like

You say that, but ionization detectors have been demonstrated time & again to be the least effective at detecting most home fires that start.

I’d recommend taking the NuTone down & keeping it especially since if you don’t it might end up lost, which would be bad for a detector as rare as it.

ah. i didn’t know. thanks for the info. As for the NuTone, i’m gonna talk to my grandparents about it

You’re welcome, though I do hope you replace the ionization detector with a dual-sensor one, then you should have the best possible protection.

1 Like

i finally found the old alarm! its a NuTone S-180. It still works, because when my grandpa tested it, it came to life. god the thing is loud and i almost fell down the stairs when he did LOL

1 Like

Apologies for the necropost, but could I get an ID on this detector? It scared the heck out of me at 3am last night with a 10-second burst of an incredibly loud siren. No smoke was present, but I did have a fan circulating air up to the ceiling.

It appears it’s some sort of vintage hardwired BRK detector, but couldn’t find an exact model name. Thanks in advance!

Could be any number of 90s-era BRK/First Alert models, but I’d say that the closest match would be the 2002 (even though the LED seems to be on the wrong side, unless it’s a different model). In any case, I’d recommend replacing it as you learned first-hand one of the things that can happen with leaving a 10-year-old (or over 10-year-old) smoke detector in place (also make sure to replace any others that are 10 years or older).

Yeah, I saw the 2002 and noticed the LED doesn’t match perfectly. Among the Google Lens hits, i got a perfect match with an image from this brochure, but it doesn’t include the model name.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NHbLFmwC2Zn3y7vg9

Would you happen to know if it’s got a photoelectric or ionization detector?

My guess is photoelectric. Having seen the inside, the chamber doesn’t appear to have any electrodes. Also the test button actually tests the sensor, something which can be said about very few alarms. Not even how that would work if it were ionization.

Not sure what that model could be, it should say on the back of yours though.

Most (if not all) BRK/First Alert detectors with that design have photoelectric sensors, though some are dual-sensor, meaning they have both ionization & photoelectric sensors (those usually have two test buttons though).

That detector is either a brk model 1519 or model 2002

I don’t think there’s such a model as the “1519” (if there is I’m not aware of it), & I already suggested the 2002 (which doesn’t match in terms of where the power LED is).

yes there is

Foe vanquished. Turns out it’s a BRK 2839ACI – not much info on it out there except for an unboxing video. Strangely enough the one I have has a shorter text on the cover.

Oh, I see: you said “1519” even though the model number is actually “5919”, that’s why I didn’t think there was such a model. The LED’s not of the same design & position as the one on Tim’s though.

Ah okay. Must be a old & rare model then (especially given the wire terminals in place of a plug for an AC harness like on modern detectors).

Given how rare & old it is I for one would appreciate it if you didn’t throw it (& any others you may have) away but rather gave it to a collector for preservation.

I must of made a mistake while typing that reply