Remote alarm smoke detector

Fishing for advice here!
I want to put a smoke detector in my detached shop (25ft from house).
I need a remote alarm in the house and would turn the detector on when leaving the shop for the day and turn it off in the morning. (Eliminating constant daily work related detections)
Hard wired on a switch or battery powered is fine.
Does someone make one with a remote alarm that works with wifi (signal would be available and strong)
Thanks for chiming in :+1:

you could do a small conventional fire system or so

One other option would be a heat detector. You could just leave that on all of the time.

I do not know of a smoke detector, residential or commercial, that’s designed to be power-cycled repeatedly like that: as aerhardt said a heat detector might be an option as they’re only activated by heat & not smoke (or other things like sawdust, steam, etc.), along with most being mechanical & thus needing no current to power them. They’re not considered “life safety devices” however as they take longer to activate than smoke detectors, which might mean the fire will be out of control by the time the detector trips & alerts you to it (or, even worse, the shop’s almost completely burned to the ground, if it’s small enough).

1 Like

You could possibly install a security system and get a wireless smoke alarm sensor with it, and then disable/enable that zone. That is the only way I could see what you want to work. Most regular smoke alarms are hardwired or battery operated and not designed to be turned off at all.

Ah yes, good idea EF: surprised I didn’t think of that myself. A lot of commercial fire alarm panels also allow zone disabling, though how complicated the process is depends on the panel. They’re also more expensive than a security panel.

Generally speaking, fire detection devices are not designed to be turned off for any reason. I would not recommend you turn on and off detection manually – what happens if you forget to turn it on?

If a smoke alarm is causing too many nuisance alarms, then smoke alarms are unsuitable for the particular space. A possible solution could be locating it further away from the source of the nuisance alarm, but if it’s still causing nuisance alarms, you should look into a heat detector.

I will comment that the newest smoke alarms are tested to be nuisance alarm resistant. However, the extent usually goes to “typical household” nuisance alarm sources like cooking or light steam from a shower.

Could you tell us what type of work you perform in the shop? Also, what’s your purpose for wanting to have a detector in the first place - are you looking to protect assets or something along those lines? Might help us give you a few pointers.