Ripoff EST

The actual facts speak different: for instance the reason for the QuickStart’s “CPU Fault” LED often illuminating is not due to the CPU actually failing, but rather because a bug causes the LED to illuminate (this isn’t to say actual CPU failures never happen, but they don’t happen nearly as often as everyone seems to think).

Bro just let us have our opinions. While CPU failures aren’t common, neither is an EST system in perfectly normal condition. You can like it all you want, but let people who don’t like it have their opinion too

I’m fine with that, but I’m also just saying that Edwards/EST systems are a lot less unreliable & broken-down than most people would think.

You could say that about any other system too, but all the Edwards/EST systems I’ve come across (& there have been quite a few) have all been normal.

Somehow my school’s EST 3 is perfectly normal :rofl:

We aren’t saying it’s bad just because it’s EST, EST has its own issues. Lots of people think that their SIGA protocol is buggy, and the panels aren’t very high quality. I know plenty of people that have or had an EST FireShield, and most of them are busted one way or another. My friend who owns an EST 3 complains that the front keypad is very low quality, and he said the whole front bends while pressing buttons. That’s something my MS-2 does :skull: EST addressable devices are also not very good for collectors because you need the original devices.

“Somehow”: more like “unsurprisingly”

Admittedly yes: Edwards/EST haven’t always made the best choices when it comes to product design & the like, but I’m still tired of seeing everyone automatically assuming all of Edwards/EST is bad just because it’s Edwards/EST: quite a few of the products they’ve sold are solid/good. Don’t judge a book by its cover as they say.

1 Like

As someone who works with Kidde systems and installs them, I disagree.

I find working in the field that it depends on who is installing the system itself. Because a lot of you would be surprised to hear I absolutley hate Simplex and their panels.

Everytime Simplex puts in a panel in a new building and we get the service contract, we get called there way too often. One new building keeps getting a short circuit fault on a strobe circuit, and faulty devices and what not. In fact, our company is outbidding Tyco for a project because they just don’t want to deal with Simplex anymore. It’s also far too expensive for service calls and replacement parts, and since it’s proprietary, we usually have to tell customers to call Simplex and they get frustrated.

Yep, that’s what a lot of people say: that the “badness” of Edwards/EST systems usually comes down more to who installs & maintains them than the manufacturer themselves (thankfully pretty much all the systems I’ve seen were clearly installed & are clearly maintained by companies with competence).

Yep (again): ever since Johnson Controls International acquired Simplex & their parent Tyco in 2016, the Simplex brand has just gone straight downhill. It’s really a shame if you ask me: I used to look up to Simplex as they were a great brand with great products, but now I can do nothing but look down on them instead: I am not supporting a company that does what they do (or rather what their parent company likely forces them to do out of sheer greed), which is why I’ve denoted Edwards as my favorite brand: yes they’re not 100% unproprietary either, & not all of their products have been a “smash hit” so to speak, but the way I see it they’re still better than most other brands currently in existence, including especially Simplex (mainly because every other company’s parent just plain doesn’t respect the brands they own, instead being distracted by greed: this is not the case with all of Edwards’ parents throughout the years though, including their current one Carrier Global: hopefully if Carrier does indeed sell Edwards off to another company that they’ll pick one with good moral integrity like themselves).

1 Like

This is the true ripoff EST/GST:
Screenshot 2024-03-24 203748
The font on the logo is cool tho.

Funnily enough I’m not sure I’ve ever seen any actual Edwards/EST knockoff products (heck I’d say the only device that I’ve seen recognizable knockoffs of is the SpectrAlert, which sure seems to be popular among knockoffers). That company there is “H-Logic Security Technology”, who are based in Egypt, & as you can see they’re another user of that knockoff BG-12.