School program clocks and signals

I think a topic about program clock systems that can be set to ring bells on a schedule and for how long to sound, and the signals used, bells, horns, chimes, or tone systema would be a good topic.

I’ve been in a lot of schools where the master program clock with a manual override was used. (Montgomery Mfg. was the most common one I’ve seen)

It would not only sound the signals for start and end of classes, but in manual mode could be used as a fire drill signal, or sound longer rings as needed.

A 5 second ring duration was used in most cases.

Also, sometimes if the controla weren’t set to standby for weekends, vacations, or during summer, the signals would sound per schedule when no one was there, and the school admin. 's might not know until someone calls asking what’s up.

Ed Burmett

2 Likes

I personally think this probably fits just fine in General Discussion, but I’m open to other user’s feedback as well. I’m just not sure we’d get enough that topic to justify its own category.

2 Likes

I’ve also been obsessed/fascinated with the intercom/PA systems as far back as elementary school and I think they are very unique than fire alarm systems although they don’t really seem to get that much discussion (I still think they are a handy side system that can be integrated with alarm systems) I would definitely love to see more topics and documentation about intercom/PA systems.

2 Likes

I mean they honestly are often as important as alarm systems as they can provide vital communication especially the fact most fire alarms are just horn strobes without voice evacuation. They’re also used as modern day bells nowadays.

1 Like

I agree! They should take OPS topic suggestion and make it Intercom/Bell systems. There are so many different systems to cover. I personally have Dukane Starcall, and Dukane MCS-350 systems. Very interesting setups!

1 Like