Simplex 2001 - Wiring the motherboard jumpers

Sorry for taking awhile to get back to you here, been busy with work. Anyways, the panel looks great! Again, I’m so happy that you were able to get it working. For the zone cards, the EOLR value is 3.3K Ohm @ 1W. The signal circuits use 15K Ohm, 1/2W EOLR’s. I actually found the wiring diagram for the terminals in your panel as well, so I’ll go ahead and PM that to you tonight. I also brought home my 2001 repak, and I’ll be taking it apart to see how the march time card is wired. I’ll try to draw up a diagram of where the jumper wires go between the main control, marchtime and signal cards.

That’s fine, I can understand that. Thank you, I’m so happy I got it working too, it’s such a great panel and such a nice example. I’ve been busy myself, the other day I mounted my 2001 cabinet on the wall (removed everything including transformer which also let me clean everything and get the dust out) and then got ready to knock out two of the knockouts, one on the top for my field wiring and one on the bottom for my AC power) and wow that gave me an extreme struggle, to the point where I got online and looked for advice and someone suggested that these weren’t stamped properly from the factory because the stamping die was tired, so they aren’t fully punched through. I tried numerous hammers, screwdrivers, etc. and my father wanted to try drilling through it to get a better bite on it with a screwdriver, so that’s what the hole is from. None of these worked, so I plan to use a unibit drill bit or a hole saw and drill them out while leaving the outer ring in place so I have the right size. I will be slow and careful so I don’t scratch up the cabinet. Thankfully I only messed with the top one, so the bottom one should be easier with the drill since it doesn’t already have a hole in it.

Once I get them drilled out I will clean the cabinet up one more time and get it up on the wall, and fit the transformer and door while I work on the march-time wiring. Once that is done I will mount the board back in and do all of my field wiring to the couple of devices that are connected, and then install the card frame and the cards and card support pieces, then it should be done and up and running! Thank you for PMing me those wiring documents.

I successfully got the knockouts out that I needed, they were tough but I did it without denting up the cabinet so now It’s going on the wall. Next up will be doing the march-time card configuration.

Still a work in progress but I got the panel mounted and put together. Hard to see in the photo but the only troubles are the annunciator trouble and both signal circuits since they aren’t wired yet. I have a conventional truealarm and 4251-20 connected as initiating devices, and once I figure out where to land my signal 1 and signal 2 wires I will have a strobe and a light for the signals. Once we are ready for the march-time card wiring, I will take everything out and put the board on my bench to solder everything in and add the march-time card in slot #6, then put everything back together with both signals connected. The panel is working great.

I managed to clear both signal circuit troubles, and got a strobe hooked up. The only trouble remaining on the panel is “ANNUN” trouble, and the system trouble light is on because of that trouble existing.

Alright so I’ve done some playing around reading diagrams and such for awhile and decided to install some jumpers and see where I got.

I followed this diagram below (with the exception of the two 2001-3042 only jumpers going from 5 on the march time card to E on the march time card, and E on the control card to E on the march time card) because those don’t apply to my march time card. I did do the one on the bottom left though and all of the other ones I followed per the diagram. I cut D25. It says to cut some jumpers on the signal cards but I don’t see that many on my dual signal card so I wanted to be sure.

The march-time card is installed in slot 6, and the dual signal card is installed in slot 8.
Here’s what the panel is doing:

When the panel is normal, at least one of the signals pulses slowly. When the panel goes into alarm, it codes the NACs to march time as it should. When the ACK button is pressed, there is no change and the march time pulses keep going. When you reset, it goes back to the slow pulse.

What I want the panel to do: I want the panel to sound both NACs in march-time upon an alarm condition, and when ACK is pressed I want the slow pulses to happen instead. When I press reset, everything goes to normal. Not sure how difficult it would be to have only one NAC pulse slowly when you press ACK, so for now both will do the slow pulse.

Present state of my motherboard:

1 Like

Hey, sorry I’ve been absolutely terrible at getting back to you lately, things over the past week or so have gotten really busy in my life. Anyways, I agree, I wouldn’t cut anything on the signal card just yet until I take a look at mine. I’ve never heard of that having to be done before, so I’m not sure if that’s actually what has to be done (I doubt it). I still have to get down to storage to take apart my 2001, I’m going to try my absolute hardest to do that today before I have to head in to work, if not tomorrow. I was looking at the wiring @ J8, and it looks a little different from what I have. Could you possibly tell me what pins you have wiring going to on that slot? I know the wiring coming in goes to a pin on the left hand side first, then from the same pin, goes back out to the right side of J8 to another pin (if that makes any sense). Now, as far as getting the panel to do selective silence, I’ll have to really look in to that one. Mine is not configured for that, so I’m going to have to do a little research on getting that working. But we can at least get the marchtime working in alarm for now.

Hey, it’s completely fine I understand that, I hope you are well and that things aren’t too stressful. Yes I will take a look at that now. From what I can visually see on the diagram, wiring comes in to the signal card from the control card into pin E, which is located on the right side of slot 8, but I could be wrong on how I’m supposed to interpret the diagram. I was talking to Andrew (NewAgeServer) and he was saying how the NAC trigger from the main control card has to be connected to run through the march-time card, then to the signal card. But this diagram seems to have it wired differently, and having the two signal spots shown make it a little confusing since there’s different types of signal card.

Here’s my wiring for J8: I have a wire coming from 109 on the main control card J1 going to pad 98 which is on the right side. Then I have a wire coming from the same 109 point of J1 and going to pad 102 of J8 which is also on it’s right side. Finally, there’s a wire going from pad 102 to pad 93 on the left side. I tried to match the diagram above. I hope that helps.

As for the march-time card, there’s a wire going from pad 105 on J1 to pad 67 (pin 5) of J6. Then, a wire goes from pin J (pad 74) to pad 5 of the motherboard as per the diagram. I realize that yes this diagram shows wiring for configuring the march time card, but it doesn’t explain exactly how it is configured if you wire it this way.

And yeah the selective silence thing isn’t a big deal right now, for now we will just focus on getting the march time working correctly.

Hey, I hope everything is going okay. I’m still stumped at this, how the wiring diagram and how it appears that the march-time card needs to be wired is so different.

On a side note, another interesting thing I noticed about my panel is how it appeared to have been configured for the meter module from the factory (jumpers were installed, and module came with the panel) However, jumper J3 on the main board needs to be cut in order for the meter module to function, which is listed in the instructions. However, J3 was never cut on my board. I had to cut it myself, and then the meter module responded to changes in current as it should. So it appears that if this panel had a meter module fitted (which it looks like it did), it never worked from the factory. Interesting.

Hey, sorry for leaving you hanging for so long. I did not see your messages until recently. Did you get the config for your panel sorted out by now, or do you still need help? If so, I’ll have some time next week to take my 2001 apart and trace the wiring for you since my semester will be over by then. Just let me know.

Hey, its okay i understand! You’ve probably been quite busy i imagine haha. I do still need help on it when you find the time of course. I removed all the jumpers i had on there so its at factory state right now and working as a non-coded system. Hope you get a nice break from school!

I finally got the configuration for the 2001’s marchtime jumpers. I took mine apart and found that the configuration goes as follows…

Main Ctrl Pin No. 5 → (goes to) Pin No. 87 Marchtime.
Main Ctrl Pin No. 109 → Pin No. 80 Marchtime.
Marchtime Pin No. 80 → Pin No. 93 Dual Sig.
Dual Sig Pin No. 93 → Pin No. 102 Dual Sig.

Granted, this only works if the Marchtime card is in pc slot 7, and the dual signal card is in pc slot 8 like it is on mine. I would not know what pin #'s to use if those two cards where elsewhere, as I do not have a diagram of the motherboard.

Also, remember to cut D25 on the main control card, as it allows for the marchtime card to operate properly.

Apologies it took me months to get this over to you, but I’m glad I finally could. If you have any further questions on wiring that panel up, please don’t hesitate asking me. I’ll try my best to answer any further questions you may have. Best of luck

Thank you! Sorry for being absent for so long, finally I’m looking into getting this march time card operational now that I have a light plate to use with it for a signal (better than a strobe with the march time pulses). My dual signal card, like yours, is in slot 8 so that works. I’ll have to move the march time card from slot 6 to slot 7.

Okay I followed your wiring and everything works for the most part. March time card in slot 7, dual signal in slot 8. Activate a zone, march time card does it’s thing. ACK, continues the slow pulse. Problem is, when the panel is normal, it’s still slow pulsing the signals. I know the card still should do it’s “heartbeat” pulse of the green LED in a normal state, but we need to figure out how to not have the signal relays pulse too when it’s not in alarm. The wiring diagram said to cut certain jumpers on the signal card, but I didn’t see those to cut on mine.

I figured it out. There were two resistors that needed to be cut on the signal card. The panel is now working as expected. Only thing it doesn’t do is slow pulse the signals when silenced, but I’m not complaining as it’s working as it should. Still have an annunciator trouble on it but that’s it.

Quick demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z9D57tnT0w

Congrats on getting it finally working. Cant be a proper 2001 without a march time card. The slow pulse feature upon silence requires the jumpers to be rearranged i believe as you need to have the march time card go back to its normal state while still powering one of the signal cards until reset. Its definitely a rare feature as ive only seen 2 enthusiasts with that enabled. I just got my big 2001-8023 working and the way the new board came setup was that the march time card kept pulsing at a fast rate until reset although the signals stopped upon silence. So if i got one circuit to stay on it would do a fast pulse until reset instead of a slow pulse. Hopefully someone with that feature can shed some light on how that works. I may know someone who has a 2001 that does that. But they arent on the forums so ill have to ask for a picture and post it here.