Simplex 4005 Stuck on Erasing Flash

Hi everyone,

It’s been a little while and this place sure has changed a bit…

In the time I have owned my 4005, I guess replacing the CPU, the I/O cards, the power supply, and the Power Distribution Board twice hasn’t been enough to make it like me.

All of a sudden, I can no longer make and save any change to the panel’s programming, whether it be a signal coding change or something as simple as editing a point label, without the panel getting stuck on “Erasing Flash” with the progress bars endlessly looping.

Warm starting it puts it back to normal, but it is still doing the same thing each time I try to save a change.

Is there a fix for this, or do I need to start looking for yet another CPU?

Sounds like a faulty CPU for sure… unfortunately they’re getting harder to come by for a fair price… possible a firmware flash would fix it, but that’s likely something you’d need assistance from Simplex on, making it an unlikely option.

On another note, welcome back! Yes things have changed quite a bit since you were last here, but we welcome all feedback in “The Suggestion Box” as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t say I know a ton about programming the 4005, but based off of other experiences, it sounds like either the firmware is corrupt, or the CPU board is more than likely shot. It sounds like the panel is attempting to write to the flash memory, and something is blocking it from doing so.

Unfortunately, a new CPU board sounds like it may be your best option. You could try contacting Simplex, but I doubt they’d be much help or really be willing to do anything for someone who doesn’t have a contract with them. Getting a new, functional CPU is a gamble as well, as most of them are around 20 years old (if not older), and microprocessor panels don’t last nearly as long as older relay-based hardware.

It really is a shame that it’s having issues again, though. I’ve kept up with your channel every now and then and have seen the amount of times you’ve had to replace parts in it. That has got to be unbelievably frustrating.

Thank you, Zach! I’ll look around and consider posting my feedback. :slight_smile:

Thank you, sir.

It is frustrating things keep breaking on this panel, but at this point, there’s nothing else to replace on it, haha.

Hopefully a new CPU, if I can find one in working condition for a decent price, will fix it for good. I’m looking!

My pleasure, anytime. I wish you the best of luck in finding a replacement CPU board. Those things can be really hard to find for a reasonable price anymore.

1 Like