Simplex 4032-1 Found Unused

Hello everyone. I am new here, and just wanted to show off a recent find at a local Christian retreat up here in Manitoba. I was tasked with finding a new home for this beauty. I have always been a bit of a collector and seller of oddball items, and antiques, so, I got the privilege of selling this unused Simplex 4032-1. It is still in the box, with a whopping $2.75 price tag from Princess Auto, here in Canada. Inside the box is stuffed newspaper from September 22, 1963. Under that is the metal plate, still wrapped in brown paper. I got pretty excited when they brought it to me. I hope I am doing this right, and I will try to add a picture. Enjoy!!

1 Like

By the way, I am listing it on ebay. I hope one of you like it as much as I do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335122898441

Heck of a find right there! I sure hope whoever buys it takes very good care of it!

1 Like

I do as well. It’s nice to see something preserved so well for so long. One of the reasons I posted it here was because I figured the people who appreciate these the most could be found here, and it would find a very fitting home.

Well you figured absolutely correctly!

Damn!! That’s really nice

What a great-looking horn! It’s always neat to get a glimpse of older devices that are in new condition: we’re so used to seeing them with paint spatter, chips and scrapes, and faded colours that it’s tricky to imagine how they looked when they left the factory. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 4030 with such bright paint. It’s also great that this horn has its original mounting plate as those seem to be harder to find; many of the 4030s I’ve seen listed online, including the one I own, didn’t include one.

I find it interesting that it was purchased from a Princess Auto store, as it doesn’t seem like the type of product they would typically carry; this must have been from their “Surplus” selection. I wish they still carried products like this — I receive their weekly flyers and have never seen anything this cool. Even adjusted for inflation, that’s an amazingly low price.

2 Likes

Do you still have the 4032-1 Buzzer?
I have a Simplex fire alarm at my church that need one.

Rich, I know the system being AC means finding replacement notification appliances is likely next to impossible due to companies not making AC fire alarm NAs anymore, but old out-of-production devices like that 4032-1 aren’t really meant for use in actual life safety systems, new or old. Perhaps you should consider having the entire system replaced instead, since modern systems use DC NAs which are plentiful nowdays.

Could a Wheelock MT4-115 or System Sensor MP120KL work for such a retrofit if it is not feasible to replace the whole system?

It likely would not in this case since the 4032-1 Thomas was selling is 12VAC & both of the devices you listed are 120VAC.

Just checked: it sold on the 26th of November last year.

It likely would not in this case since the 4032-1 Thomas was selling is 12VAC & both of the devices you listed are 120VAC.

Good point. It looks like the Vibratone has a 12 VAC model, but I don’t know if this is still listed for fire alarm use.

Yeah: I know the Vibratone 450, which is the DC model & was mainly produced for fire alarm service, is no longer made, but whether the Vibratone 350, which is the AC model, can be used in fire alarm systems I have no idea (not likely though considering AC systems are not a thing anymore aside from existing ones).

It looks like the device is UL 464 listed, so there is a good chance it would work.

Also, I thought the reason AC systems no longer exist is because a battery backup is needed and AC power is harder to generate from a battery, but if a company released an AC system that also had a battery backup, these notification appliances would be perfectly usable on a new system.

Maybe.

I believe there are a number of reasons why AC systems were phased out, but I’m not sure of them. Given DC is the standard now a modern AC system is very unlikely though.