Simplex 4903-9238

My Middle School has simplex 4903-9238’s. But the alarms dont sync, so what should I suggest to them. They want them to be synced. And so do I. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Since the 9238 model specifically has a free-run strobe & thus cannot be synced they’d have to replace all of them & any free-run remote strobes with either selectable or syncable versions, & while Simplex no longer makes many of the 4903 & 4904-series models they used to, they might still make ones that would fit this application. The panel would also have to be replaced with one capable of SmartSync or would have to have one or more 4905-9938 Sync Control Modules (SCMs) fitted to the NAC circuit to enable sync (unless the existing panel is SmartSync-capable already). All in all it might be more trouble than it’s worth (outside of just replacing the whole system).

Thanks for the suggestion but, the alarms are from 2000. The panel is a simplex 4100+. They added an addtion in 2019, and the alarms sync cause there voice evac. I did suggest replacing them but, they cost around $1,000 or more.

Voice evac doesn’t automatically mean the signals will sync: yes that’s very common if not outright required nowdays, but that’s not always the case just because a system is voice-capable.

Like I said it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth to try & get the existing system to be fully synced: heck they’d probably be better off just replacing it & making everything the same throughout the entire building.

Yes they would do that but, be just disruptive to the whole school. I be like do it i dont care. lol

They take education Very Serouisly

From what I’ve heard replacements & upgrades can be done often without major disruptions to occupants (probably by doing one section at a time).

True but, they would need to test the system.

Can also often be done without disruptions, including testing the system at low occupancy times or silent testing: either just the strobes activate or only the panel does.

Yes but, if they were to do that they would be disturbing when kids are taking tests, doing aims (dont ask what aims is), and lessons.

Not necessarily: like I said silent testing is an option (& there’s also waiting until a scheduled break when nobody but a few staff are in the building to both do the replacement & then test the system).

to back up this statement, my high school has a panel that is capable and the signals are most defanatly out of sync.

When you mean sync, do you mean strobes syncing? Cause depending on how they’re wired as if the alarms themselves have jumpers or not. There are ways to code these free run strobes.

1 Like

Yes but, the strobes can discrat and confuse people though. And they do silent testing the alarms nor strobes go off only audibale.

Sorry for the long delay.

It seems like you always ignore the other option I list for some reason: I did say that upgrading & testing when nobody but a handful of staff are present (i.e. during spring or summer break) is also an option.

Thanks I will tell them

UPDATE

The alarms are getting replaced during summer break with simplex speaker strobes. I am going to help them in the replacement. Thanks for yalls suggesttions.

could I get my hands on some of the old devices?