Simplex speaker help

so I got a simplex 4902-9717 and I want to know if it’s ac power or dc power and can I use it without a panel

It’s dc power, and you can’t use it without a panel because it’s a speaker strobe, and doesn’t produce a sound on its own

Speakers are the one kind of fire alarm signal that don’t take normal electric power: you need to supply them with an audio signal instead, which can be done with anything from a phone to a computer, as long as you have the proper audio cable (which has a male connector on one end & two wires on the other).

I mean you can but you need a amplifier setup.

Or as I said any device that can output audio & a special audio cable.

Speakers run on Vrms. Simplex speakers should support 25 or 70 Vrms. Not sure how you can run one of those without a panel. If you can find an audio source that outputs the right speaker voltage, you should be good. Some people use an mp3 board or sorts but I’m not sure how it works.

I’ve powered plenty of speakers with nothing more than a desktop computer & a special audio cable I have: they’ve been both fairly loud & not damaged by it (the latter as far as I can tell at least). I do also have an MP3 board that I use with speakers on my demo board though.

oh thank you all for the help! its mostly setup with an amp